Calling Card Info Needed - Please Help!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 28th, 2009, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, I will be traveling to Egypt next month. I do not want to take my cell phone with me since the international roaming fees are astronomical. Does anyone have any suggestions for a calling card that I can use in this country? I will be traveling from the US, so most of the calls that I make will be from Egypt to the US. I would appreciate any advice or suggestions. Thanks.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 01:36 PM

You might check at places like Costco; they used to sell a calling card. While cell phone calls can be expensive from overseas, text messages are not. When I was in East Africa, calls were about $5 tp $6 a minute. Texts were 50 cents for outgoing and 5 cents for incoming. If you have a phone that would work in Egypt, you might check with your wireless company on this option (mine was Verizon and I had a global phone.)
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 01:37 PM

I should also add that if you go the "calling card" route, make sure that there is an access number in Egypt for that card.
Old Oct 28th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much ShayTay for your Costco suggestion. I went to my nearest Costco and found a Verizon calling card. There are two access numbers - one used for calling from within Cairo and the other used for outside of Cairo. Thanks!
Old Oct 29th, 2009, 07:10 PM

why not just get an Egyptian Sim Card when you are there? that way your sms's will be real cheap and you can call the US and they can call you back from a US Calling card to an Egyptian Mobile.

Thats what I do. I have a calling card with Lycatel and I give my close friend and family the calling card dial up password number and then they can call me for cheap to my egyptian mobile - if they need me. That way they dont even pay for the call to me, because my calling card has been topped up by me before I went and its not costing me anything in Egypt to receive the call on my egyptian sim card.

Just a thought

Scotsgirl.