Search

To Beige or Not to Beige?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2004, 03:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To Beige or Not to Beige?

My family and i are planning to visit Tanzania for 12 days over the Christmas break and so far we have been hearing from everyone to only wear beige and green or grey not only on game drives (which we understand reasons for) but ALSO at the resorts/camps. Is this accurate or necessary, or do you think a lighter blue, pink, yellow or white could work (just examples). And what about brown? The other family we are traveling with discouraged us from bringing brown, but i cant see why not. If you have traveled to Tanzania, how many pairs of pants/shorts do you reccomend bringing (for 12 days). Also we are also confused about the issue of packing capri pants and sturdy flip-flops (like Tevas). And advice would be so, so, so, so helpful as we are in our last legs of packing and leaving in less than 2 weeks!
Thanks
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 05:28 PM

dont worry about the clothes color. you can wear whatever you want at the resorts/camps. i just wouldnt wear a bright blue shirt on the game drives. i cant understand the no brown comment. thats about as earthy as it comes. oh well. i havent been to tanzania but have been on 3 safaris to southern africa so i think my comments are relevant. regarding capri pants and flip flops, i would choose khakis and tennis shoes over them just for more coverage from bug bites. i have seen people bit to the point of staying in from game drives before and this can be easily avoided by having your lower body completely covered up.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 07:41 PM

Is this a game park trip or Zanzibar?

In the parks, the tsetse flies love dark clothes - dark blue, brown green, black. They are mostly in the wooded areas of Tarangire, Serengeti, etc. but also near the wildlife. For this reason, it is better to wear khaki or lighter colors. The tsetse fly is also the reason why I wear long pants, sleeves and proper shoes (not Tevas) on safari. Sunburn is another.

At night at the lodges, mosquitoes apparently like darker colors but I think they go after anything exposed regardless of color! Cover up rather than worry about color. And use DEET.

Tevas and short pants/short sleeves are just fine during the day at lodges/camps since the tsetse flies are mostly absent unless you are staying at tented camps among the trees.

How much clothes? Travel light and use soft luggage (manageble size especially if you fly with bush planes).
Most camps do laundry. Cannot see why you would need more than 3 pairs of anything! Convertables are great.
Old Dec 4th, 2004, 09:31 PM

Zipper pants are the best solution. If the bugs are out you can keep the legs on. If the weather is good and no bugs, you can zip the legs off.
We used flip flops in camp, but not out on the drives. You never know if you will have to get out of the truck to go look at something, help another jeep, etc. You want to have protection when out in the bush.
Natural type colors blend in best in the bush. You want to try and blend in to your surrondings... just like the animals. It is not that a little color will be "terrible". If just doesn't go with nature.
There was a girl in another jeep with a red shirt on. We could see her from a mile away. Without her red shirt, the jeep blends into the country side.
If you are in a camp that washes for you. The max you will need in 2-3 pants. We took 3 and basically only wore 2 the whole time (our favorite ones).

We basically wore a clean outfit at night and then wear the same clothes during the morning drive. Often times people will wear the same pants for 2 days before washing unless it is really hot.

Hope this helps.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 04:15 AM

I'd always wear closed shoes in the bush/bundu - apart from anything else saves getting a mega thorn in the foot and stones between the toes.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 04:18 AM
sandi

Leave the lite blue, pink, yellow and white for your next trip to the Caribbean or similar beach resort. Tan, beige, brown (perfectly fine) and greens are the colors for safari, as well as comfy shoes that have been broken in (no new shoes).

Many people prefer the "convertible" pants that zip at the knee to become shorts, but admittedly, they are not very attractive on any one. So if you prefer slacks and shorts, go with these with short/long sleeve or t-shirts in the same colors. Stick with natural fibres - cotton, linen and you'll be fine.

If you will be staying anywhere for two or more nights you can have laundry done for a small fee, or in some cases for free. However, if any of your clothing is made of synthetic or micro fibres I would suggest you advise that these NOT be ironed.

For evenings you can add a bright scarf or sweater to brighten the neutral colors, but be certain to wear long pants, long sleeves, socks and apply Deet repellent to exposed skin, though remember to wash off before retiring for bed. Spray your tent with repellent and sleep under mosquito netting where supplied.

Enjoy your holiday.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 04:21 AM

If you are goin to Ngorongoro Crater be sure to bring warm clothing as the nights are cold and windy. As for color, it doesn't matter. I have witnessed tourists in the Serengeti wearing $2500 safari suits and young people wearing Hawaiian shirts and flip flops so there is no set dress code for going on safari. Shorts are fine as well but you want to be sure to bring some bug spray and the Tsetse flies can be annoying and potentially hazardous.
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:27 AM
Ag3046

The only color issues I've ever heard of are because mosquitoes and Tsetse flies are attracted to dark colors like navy blue and black. Not sure how valid this is. No other reason to stick to beige.
Bring 1 pr shorts, 1pr long pants, 1 long skirt. At night, you need long pants and socks for mosquitoes. Layering is the way to go. Bring a fleece or down vest, lightweight glove liners, and a lightweight fleece hat for those chilly morning game drives. And also second wearing shoes (like Mephistos) for walking around. Thorns penetrate flipflops with ease. Might bring a pair of thick-soled sandals, like Tevas, for hot days or camp, but I think flip-flops are useless. Agree that no more than 3 shirts or bottoms. Might bring 4 or 5 undies and soap and elastic cord for quick washing. Should be able to limit everyone to one carry-on, and maybe one checked bag for the group. Don't forget sunglasses and hats for the sun. Honestly, the Tilleys Endurables catalog has the best stuff and it wears like iron.

Old Dec 5th, 2004, 07:39 AM

Are the tsetse flies a problem year round or only during certain seasons? We're going to Kenya in late Jan/early Feb. What time of day are they most active? Other than avoiding dark colors and wearing repellant, is there anything else that can be done to prevent bites? How much of a problem are they? We're staying in tented camps, one of which is located over natural springs with lots of foliage (at least it looks that way in the photos). Are we just asking for trouble?
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 08:34 AM

No, please don't be concerned about your camping safari! It is in my opinion the best way to do safaris and you will have a GREAT time.

I have unscientific views about tsetse flies. They are only active during the day. They seem to like slow moving objects better. When we stop, they lose interest. When we drive, they come back! As a result, I never had tsetse problems at the camps in Tanzania and Kenya.

I think they are undeterred by DEET spray! I wear loose fitting clothes because then they cannot bite through it!

These flies are only a minor nuisance during your game drives. You encounter them in small pockets a few times during the day.

Wear loose-fitting,light-color clothes and you will be just fine. You may try to spray your clothes but I don't.

Your poor driver/guide has to keep both hands on the wheel so remember to help him swipe when you hit a pocket of flies!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 10:30 AM

Patty:

I wouldn't worry about tsetse fly bites. I have been on six trips to Kenya and have never seen one and in fact only saw one mosquito in all six trips (this is during the dry season).
I always take my Malarone and Deet but have never had to use them.

What parks will you be going to? I am also going to be in Kenya Jan 23 - Feb 10th. Will be going to Amboseli, Tsavo East and Samburu. Will you be at any of those parks?

Jan
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 01:42 PM

Other than for hiding from the skeeters, color doesn't really matter.

Except one trip I was wearing black walking shoes. My driver/guide feigned shock and insisted I buy a new pair of Bata shoes on one transit of Nairobi. They were light brown suede and he was quite happy after that. Apparently I was quite low on the what's-cool-in-Kenya list!
Old Dec 5th, 2004, 03:09 PM

Thanks for the reassurances! I hadn't noticed much mention of the tsetse flies until this post so didn't know how much of an issue it was.

Jan,
We'll be at Sweetwaters Jan 30-Feb 1, Tsavo West Feb 2-4, and Amboseli Feb 5-6. We arrive in NBO on Jan 29 (we're flying out of LAX Jan 24 and stopping over in Paris for a few days) and depart NBO on Feb 7th. What's your schedule like?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 07:54 AM

Are you going to be in Kenya at all? I am going on a trip around the same time and I wondered what company you are using in Tanzania and also in Kenya if you are going there.
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 11:07 AM
sandi

2seeds -

FYI - Sweetwaters, Tsavo and Amboseli are all in Kenya. And I believe from an earlier post you mentioned that you are departing for Africa mid-December.

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 12:34 PM

Thanks Sandi you are right, but I was actually referring to the original poster's message about being in East Africa in mid-Dec. Oh, I heard from Steve007NY so thank you. Any other people you (Sandi) think I can reach on this forum that might be leaving soon?
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 01:14 PM
sandi

2seeds - I'm glad to hear that Steve007NY was able to respond to your request regarding his trip and the safety/security issue as it concerns you. As mentioned on another thread, the warning you referred to is a repeat of an old one and is blackmail on the part of the U.S. (nothing new in that as far as what our government does tend to do).

While I have no idea who in particular might be leaving at the same time as you, you can see from various posts that many others will be traveling to both Kenya and Tanzania between now thru March. I know you will have a wonderful, exciting and safe adventure. Enjoy your trip!

Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:05 PM

Patty:

Looks like we'll be missing each other. I'll be at Amboseli Jan 24 31, Samburu Feb 1 - 3 and then Tsavo East Feb 4 - 8th. You will have a fantastic trip and enjoy every minute of it.

Jan
Old Dec 6th, 2004, 02:20 PM

Thanks, Jan. I'm really looking forward to my trip Hope you have a wonderful time too!