Buying tanzanite in Tanzania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4th, 2011, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who has done this? Where did you buy? Reliable shop? I am not a good shopper so I need help. About how much per caret for good stone? Not looking for big stone.. Maybe 2 carets.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 10:35 AM

There have been a few threads on Trip Advisor asking this question. Replies mention prices and even possible shops where to purchase. Swala Gems is one that has a shop at the New Arusha Hotel, besides a shop in town. And, there are others.

However, suggest you do some research before departing, at local jewelers, what's offered: size, colors, prices, loose or set. Often you can get good deals and never have to leave home. Like anything else, gotta be an an intelligent consumer and not assume prices will be better. Besides, if purchasing something away from home and then learn tht it isn't what was expected... duh! To whom do you complain?

I've seen some interesting Tanzanite pieces sold on the 'shopping channels.'
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 11:44 AM

When the shops know you are a tourist, it is very easy to be "had". Especially when buying gems or jewelery. Don't spend more than you might regret later.

regards - tom
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 01:04 PM
Original Poster

So true...that is why I really seldom shop on trips. But, just thought in case I get tempted I should get some info in advance. Have looked online and see huge price range as there is with gem stones.
Old Dec 4th, 2011, 02:25 PM

http://www.bluenile.com/gemstone-jew...zanite-jewelry

have seen many negative posts on folks getting poor quality

in country if not an expert stick with a certified

dealer of repute.
Old Dec 10th, 2012, 08:16 AM

I am also going to Tanzania and would be interested in purchasing Tanzanite, but only if I can get it through Afgem, the only company that is NOT using child slave labor presently to mine it. Before perpetrating slave labor, please read the following to make an informed decision. http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f%...s/582117/posts

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/637401...labour_part_1/
Old Jan 11th, 2013, 11:34 PM

You might try Lapigems Gem Company. I think they have a branch in Arusha, just not sure which street. I know their Nairobi based store better. http://www.lapigems.com/tanzanite.asp
Old Feb 4th, 2013, 01:13 PM

Why don't you get local to get it for you? They will charge you loads of money, or when you get there the owner of New Adventure Safaris & Travel he owns Tanzanite mine and if you book Safari with them you can buy Tanzanite there too. Very cheap up to $400 per gram.
www.newadventuresafari.com
Old Feb 5th, 2013, 03:38 PM

All above advise is to be heeded. I did lots of research. Before I left I could tell a good color from an off color in any local jewelry shop. I got lucky. Our driver took us to a shop/shack a few blocks from the airport by Arusha. I was taken to a shop in the back. I declined all stones shone me: too small, poor color, poor cut. Three weeks later on our way back to the airport, the driver again stops at this shop and says I should look at the tanzanite. i protested I'd already looked and did not like what I saw. The driver said he conveyed my requirements to the owner and they had new pieces. What the heck, I went in. What a difference. The quality was 150% better and I liked several stones. I picked an 8 ct. emerald cut stone to take home and have a neck piece made for it.
I think one has to convince the proprietor that you are a serious shopper and knows quality. When I took it to my jewelry designer, I got high marks from her.
The stone would have cost 5 times as much in the States. Good luck!