Budget Safari

Jun 17th, 2005, 05:45 PM
Original Poster

Budget Safari

Hi, I am planning on going to South Africa for 2 weeks next March. I am hoping to have a small, simple wedding ceremony on a game reserve mid-way through my trip. Only immediate family will meet us there for 3 days. Can anyone recommend a nice budget place with great game viewing? We can't afford places like Singita or Londolozi unfortunately as we will be paying for whoever shows up. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated!
Jun 17th, 2005, 06:39 PM

Tanya,

Congratulations on your approaching big day!

I don't know if it qualifies as budget, but Simbambili is a great looking lodge (perfect for a honeymoon) and is about 1/3 the price of Singita.

Taga Safaris has a great 4 night package:

Here is a link to the latest Simbambili update (there is an excellent series called the Leopards Of Simbambili that is updated each week on Taga Safaris website)

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/african...est-events.htm

Also, here are photos of the lodge:

http://www.tagasafaris.co.za/simbambili-game-lodge.htm

A couple of fellow Fodorites have recently visited Simbambili and have had only the highest praise for it. (try doing a search for simbambili on this forum and you should see their trip reports, each in May or June of this year).

Wherever you choose, have a great time!
Jun 18th, 2005, 08:51 AM

Tanya
Although we have spent time in wonderful, private camps in remote game parks (and paid through the nose for them too) we have also enjoyed our experiences in some of South Africa's large national parks and stayed in self-catering accommodation which has been of excellent quality.

Ntshondwe in Ithala park springs immediately to mind as the park is just a stunning location, less busy than other parks and offers superb inexpensive accommodtion.

Both this park and others also have smaller private camps alongside their main public "villages" and these are much less expensive than fully private safari lodges. Some come with private cooks and guides too.

I think Imfolozi had such a camp, so does Ithala, Kruger has some too, maybe Hluhluwe too.

Jun 20th, 2005, 05:06 AM

Nothing specific to suggest except to say have you checked out Swaziland?

Congrats.
Jun 20th, 2005, 11:11 AM

Swazi has several very nice private reserves. Mkhaya/Stone Camp is comfortable and not expensive. Meals are buffet style, not fancy, but very good. You can see everything but lions/leopards there. Game Drives are nice, not poshy, but fun. Swazi is very pretty...and often overlooked as a destination.

Search this Thread