Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Brief, 2nd hand report on Lion World's 9-day Kenya trip for $2300 and that's with air

Search

Brief, 2nd hand report on Lion World's 9-day Kenya trip for $2300 and that's with air

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2007, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lion World Tours
http://www.lionworldtravel.com/menu.html

I know I should be doing my own Brazil trip report, but I wanted to whip this one out before I forget the specifics.

A co-worker of mine just returned from a mid-September departure. She and her husband had a fabulous time. They have done quite a bit of international travel and enjoy group trips and bargains. The husband had no interest in traveling to Africa but went because his wife wanted to go. It did not take long before he was hooked and shot 7000 photos, which were described as glorious.

During the planning stages I recall she would have liked more prompt responses from Lion World to her inquiries. There were also some added costs that did not please her, such as increases from the stated price for a departure on a Friday instead of a Wednesday or something like that. But they got over those things were thrilled with the trip itself.

1st night was at Stanley’s. My co-worker remarked that souvenirs were actually much less expensive at the hotel than in the Mara, at times by more than 50%, and the hotel had an excellent selection of beautiful things. Since they ended up back at Stanley’s for the dayroom at the end of their trip, buying souvenirs could be done at the start of the trip (and have them stored during the trip) or at the end. They liked Stanley’s very much.

2nd & 3rd nights were at the Sarova in Shaba. They were thrilled with the view of the river from their room and with the family of elephants drinking from it. The reserve was a hit with them as they made their first sightings.

4th night was at Lion Hill Sarova in Nakuru. They saw lots of flamingos and a white rhino among other wildlife. They liked the location and rooms at Lion Hill Sarova but felt the service was lacking at each of their meals.

5th & 6th nights were at Mara Sarova. Their comment was “it was camping unlike anything we have ever done before,” and they were clearly enthused about the luxury element. They were in the midst of the wildebeest migration and saw numerous pairs of mating lions, plus a mother cheetah and three cubs playing, many giraffes, and even a black rhino.

There were six people in their vehicle and everyone got along and it did not feel crowded. They felt their guide did a superb job and especially mentioned his ability to manuever them into range for a sighting of that elusive black rhino.

They decided upon Lion World after attending a travel show by another big name in travel that starts with F and ends with r but is not Fodor’s. They had not even considered Africa, but this seemed to be such a good deal that they jumped on it. Obviously, they were very happy with deciding on Africa and with their experience with Lion World.

I did not have unlimited time to talk with her so I did not ask what the ground operator was. But I’m sure if you called Lion World, they would tell you, and they may even use a couple so her outfitter might not be the only one.

One issue that came up that is not limited to her trip: cell phone use on safari. Somebody on the trip was trying to get in touch with a friend in Kenya but for some reason could not reach them while at the lodge. So they would request the guide drive around to different spots to seek reception on the cell phone and these spots were not necessarily prime game viewing sites. What is even odder is they were asking to use the guide’s cell phone.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 12:25 AM
aby

Hi Lynn

<i>&quot;The husband had no interest in traveling to Africa but went because his wife wanted to go. It did not take long before he was hooked...&quot; </i>

We all are familiar with such 'cases'

Are so many people sooo ignorant or simply the word cannot spread, getting stuck in the Acacia's thorns ?

aby
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:01 AM

The cell phone tale is funny, but not usual. Every night returning to Olonana Camp, we saw the chef standing at one of the fence posts along the drive to the entrance. This spot was referred to the camp's phone booth. Apparently, the only spot where he could get reception.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:00 AM
Original Poster

I think cell phones will become more of an annyoing topic as time goes on, maybe surpassing late comers and people who insist on saying, &quot;Here kitty, kitty,&quot; at every cat sighting.

The title states a 9-day trip and only 5 nights are detailed. That's because 4 days are spent flying.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 10:16 AM

Lynn, when I saw this subject header, i was afraid it was an ad. Then I saw it was you. Thanks for sharing this info. I have friends who cannot afford to spend five figures for a vacation and this is something I can pass along. When you said with air, it appears it included air within Africa as well as from the states. Wow.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:03 AM

Be nice aby,

I was one of those &quot;ignorant&quot; but you know the stories of the religious converted. Just ask Ruth how I feel now.

Oh yeah, you don't have to, because we're on our way to Africa again in a week. That should say it all. Not exactly the bargain atravelynn refers to, but worth every penny!

Jim
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 11:04 AM

And atravelynn,

Still hoping for an answer to my query re. the Chifungulu Channel. Thanks,

Jim
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 01:20 PM
Original Poster

Steeliejim, I emailed you. No info really.

There was no internal air, all driving.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:02 PM

Too Expensive. Try this one.
http://tinyurl.com/yta7sj

17 Day Safari and Tour of Kenya and Tanzania, includes Egypt:
Fun For Less Value Price: $2,995*
Fun For Less Member Price: $2,895*

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:47 PM

Prices have gone up:

http://www.funforlesstours.com/africaKenya051708.html
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 04:49 PM

Sorry I was looking at the prices in your link, not the new ones in your post. My link is to the 2008 tour.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 05:42 PM

My mistake. Had it right when I looked at it. Then when I went back, used a link to the 06 tour. Anyway. Its still cheap.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 06:22 PM

Sure is, I would love to hear from someone who went on one.
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:21 PM

yeah, their prices look OK - who is &quot;fun for less&quot;?
Are they all large groups?
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 07:43 PM
aby

have a gorgeous Safari <b>Jim</b>!

still waiting for that genius that will add a tone to the written word
(forget about &quot;emoticons&quot
less people would get hurt from a written word...

aby
Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM

Just having a little fun, aby. But, it is true, that while Africa did hold some interest for me, it was not at the top of my list for places to visit.

My only requirement was that our trip be near water. That was primarily because I love to fish.

Ha! As it turned out, the waters of Africa have an appeal about which I had no idea.

Yes, fishing was fun--Ruth even enjoyed catching tigerfish, and there were the beeeaters and their amazing aerial feats, plus their nest building. The weavers, too. The spectacular sunsets, and the elephants playing in, and crossing the river.

But, it was the hippos' symphony, especially at night, of all the sensations, that I miss, and crave the most. Strange. But soon to be immersed in all of the sensations of Africa again.

Jim

Old Sep 22nd, 2007, 08:42 PM

I suspect there might be a lot of Mormons on Fun For Less Tours. Its based in Salt Lake City.

On the other hand, I went to school in Arizona. Knew a lot of Mormons, and quite a few were great company. Look out for the 'Jack Mormons'.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Original Poster

Fun for less could be a great bargain! Never heard of it. Maybe someone will try them out for us.
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

There are 30 or more on the tours according to the FunforLess page &quot;About Us&quot; but 6 per vehicle in their info about the Africa trip.
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 07:31 AM

I noticed that discrepancy as well - hmmm.