Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Botswana safari feedback / Do Wilderness rack rates include flights

Oct 10th, 2007, 09:00 PM
Original Poster

Hi - I'm hoping the experts on the forum will provide some itinerary pricing feedback.

I have been told that Wilderness rack rates include flight costs and agent commissions, but I'm not sure if that is the case. I was also under the impression that agents obtain rates lower than the rack rates after their commission.

I was quoted the following for a May 2008 safari:
Start in Livingstone and transfer to:
Duma Tau - 3 nights
Little Kwara - 3 nights
Kwetsani - 3 nights
Air transfer to Maun
Quote is slightly under $5,500 per person for 2 people

Is this overpriced?

Oct 10th, 2007, 11:21 PM

Don't know the answers to your questions ..... but, i believe the per person per transfer prices will work out to about $100 approx.
Oct 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM

There used to be a pricing chart for transfers on the old LE website. Anyone remember that?
Oct 10th, 2007, 11:22 PM
sniktawk

Thast seems to around $600 per person per day, this strikes me as being rather cheap even when allowing for May being in the shoulder season.
If all transfers are included then you have a good price particularly as Little Kwara is the most expensive Kwando camp.

Oct 11th, 2007, 02:39 AM

I'm not sure what you mean by rack rates, as Wilderness does not book directly with the public, nor do they post their rates, and I'm not sure about Kwando.

It really doesn't matter what your intercamp flight costs are, I beleive that all agents quote the total price. It's easy to compare, just have maybe 3 agents give you a price for the exact same itinerary.

But in general, the price of about $600 per night seems in line, particularly if Little Kwara is somewhat more expensive than the other Kwando camps or 5 paw Wilderness camps.
Oct 11th, 2007, 04:40 AM

Yes, $600 seems around the mark.

Hari, I do remember the transfer chart on the old LE site...very handy to see at a glance the transfer costs between a wide variety of camps in the delta and Linyanti. A pity it has been abandoned...yet another small but helpful customer service down the gurgler. Does anybody know if something similar still exists on other sites?

John
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:35 PM

John, that and the availability window .... that's gone too! i seldom look at the current website for the obvious reasons!
Oct 11th, 2007, 05:56 PM

My entire trip has been booked by my friend Paul Swart, who represents Wilderness Safaris through his company called Natural Migrations. There were no separate flight charges for Kings Pool or Mombo that I know of. Everything has been very easy and above board from the beginning. As a first time guest, he has been helpful and took care of many plans not related to WS. The prices quoted for May seem very good.

Have fun
Oct 12th, 2007, 04:52 PM

Shellcat we are using Paul as well. We met him and found him to be delightful. Have you used him before? He was recomended by WS when I contacted them. We are so excited and can't wait for May 08 to come soon enough.