Search

Botswana Questions

Search this Thread

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Botswana Questions

Hello everyone. Just found this forum as I plan my trip to Botswana.

My plan is to fly into Livingstone, and spend a couple of nights there. From there, I would like to visit the 3 Kwando camps - friends of mine have stayed there last year and loved it. Does one fly from Vic Falls to Lebala, or road transfer? If road transfer, how long does that take approximately? I have been reading a lot of great trip reports on here - thank you for sharing. Any thoughts on another camp or 2 to visit (pending availability)?

As I am planning this trip around an appointment, I will be traveling in February. I know this is not the optimum time to travel, but is it a big difference? Has anyone traveled to Botswana in Feb?

Finally, what are your thoughts on a private vehicle at Kwando? Really worth it? Are their seats 3 in a row or 2? I am looking for photography shots, while at the same time just enjoying the views.

I appreciate any help.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 12:06 PM
skimmer

I haven't been travelling to Botswana in February. (normally it rains a bit too much for me that time of year).

You can't fly directly into camp from another country (you have to enter through immigration first). So probably you'll drive or fly to Kasane and from there you'll fly out to Lebala. (rough guess: I would say it would last between 2 - 3 hours).

At Kwando, the seats are 3 a row. Because it's the rainy season, I would think that the camp isn't fully booked so I wouldn't pay for a private vehicle unless you'll have a special intrest and you want to be 100% sure no one else is sharing the vehicle with you.

Other interesting camps that time of year:

Duba plains: Best place in Africa to see lions killing a buffalo during daytime. Normally you can access Paradise Island - so more chances to follow the herd of buffalo and see a kill.

Chief's camp: area, known for its predators (only place in the delta where you can see rhino (mostly white) and normally you can access Boro West (one of my favourite places in Botswana).

Little Vumbura: good general game and in my opinion the best place in Botswana to see sable antelope.

Best regards,

Johan

Old Dec 17th, 2006, 12:20 PM

It would be a couple of hours by road from Vic Falls [the Zim side] to Kasane, so maybe similar from the Zambian side, or 7 minutes by air [ that's what it was in 1996, but I don't know if there are still scheduled flights for that sector nowadays]. Then no more than about one hour by light charter plane to Lebala, but you may have to wait an hour or two at Kasane airport.

John
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 04:47 PM

I would stay at least 3 nights at Kwara and 5 at Lagoon/Lebala before adding other camps.

I agree with Johan's and John's remarks.

Another good game camp is Chitabe or Chitabe Trails (same price).

If you wanted to experience the delta on a mekoro or boat, Vumbura would provide that opportunity as well.
Old Dec 17th, 2006, 05:34 PM
santharamhari

i've done that exact route one trip- Livingstone-Kasane-Lebala. Moremi Air will fly you from Livings to Lebala via Kasane just to clear immigration etc etc., you just stop for a few minutes to do the paper work. It's under a half hour to Kasane and then an hour or thereabouts to Lebala.

Check for availability of these camps- they are busy even during the rainy season.

Hari