Botswana Photos

Jun 23rd, 2004, 02:50 PM
Original Poster

Botswana Photos

An incredibly hectic 1st week back at work means I still haven't had any time to write up a trip report from our recent holiday in Botswana & Livingstone (3 nights Nxabega, 3 nights Savute Safari Lodge, 3 nights Sandibe, 2 nights Zambezi Sun).

However hubby has uploaded a selection (190+) of our photos to Ofoto - I've put the link below but I know some people have trouble with this so I'm happy to send an e-mail invite if you let me have your e-mail address.

http://www.ofoto.com/BrowsePhotos.js...1&sort_order=0

By the way, I take credit for very few of these photos as I spent most of the time glued to my binoculars rather than a camera. Photos were taken by my wonderful husband with his new digital SLR - Canon EOS 300D, 18-35mm lens and 70-300mm lens with stabiliser (I think - and that's about as technical as I can get)

Trip report will follow one day. In the meantime please ask away if you have any specific questions.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:10 PM

Welcome home! (I am only 1/3 finished with my own trip report and I've been home a month!) People ask me "So where do you plan to go next?" and I told them I'm still savoring my Africa trip...I haven't even given thought to planning our next trip.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:12 PM

I would love to see your photos and this link doesn't work for me (roccco's did).
[email protected]

I know how crazy getting home from vacation is but I do hope you get a chance to write a report. Thanks.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 03:29 PM

Ha! I couldn't see Roccco's until he sent it to me, but I got right in to Ruthie's. They are terrific! I can't wait for your reports. Wasn't that pride at Savute amazing! I can see the cubs have gotten braver in a couple of weeks time.
Jun 23rd, 2004, 04:11 PM

RuthieC

The link wouldn't work for me either and I would love to take a look at your photos. If you wouldn't mind sending me an invite at

[email protected]

Thanks in advance. And a belated welcome home!
Jun 23rd, 2004, 05:18 PM

I have tried to use these ophoto sites on several of the Fodors boards, but all I get in s a blank screen& "done" in the bottom, left corner. Please do what can be done. [email protected]
Advice on how to do others who don't offer email help?
Jun 23rd, 2004, 07:13 PM
ila

Ruthie-
Those are absolutely incredible photos. The color, clarity and action are just wonderful. I've never seen better pictures of the falls. Which was your favority camp? Thanks a lot. The color was the best I think I've seen here. But then Botswana is just full of pretty colors. ila

Jun 24th, 2004, 03:31 AM
sandi

RuthieC - Having a problem using the link. Tried to logon to Ofoto (I have an account with them) and then pasting the link, as I did with Roccco's pics - this time it's not working.

Please send in invite to me at [email protected]
Thanks.

Jun 24th, 2004, 03:39 AM

It surprised me I was able to get into Ruthie's pics. RuthieC, Roccco and anyone else who wants to share ofoto pics, the best link to put here is the one that shows up when you have invited someone to view the pics. Underneath the picture of the Album, there is a note that if you can't view the photos to use a link that appears below. That is the link I copy and paste into my postings here. It seems to work for everyone.
Jun 24th, 2004, 04:54 AM

I was not able to see your photos. I am going to Botswana in September, so I would definitely like to get a sneak peek as to what I will be experiencing. Here is my e-mail address: [email protected]

Many Thanks!!!!!
Jun 24th, 2004, 07:39 AM

great shots! link worked great for me as well, maybe Roccco needs a little help! Sorry Roccco couldnt help it. Again greats shots glad you had a wonderful trip.
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:00 AM
Original Poster

Album sent to everyone who requested. In addition I've taken uhoh_busted's advice on what l,ink to use - hopefully this one will work better

http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=cji0utv...f&x=0&y=5lhzxy

Thanks for the kind words on the photo's from some of you - I've passed them on to my better half.
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:47 AM

RuthieC
The photos were great. I especially like the lion cubs and the head shot of that lone cub and the one of the baby baboon. Too cute.
Landscapes were excellent. Please pass along congrats to your husband for some excellent shots.

And the second link you just provided seems to work effortlessly for those that couldn't access through the other.
Jun 24th, 2004, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the photos - they were great. I especially appreciated the bird shots as I know how difficult they are to get and now I know the names of a couple of the birds I couldn't figure out (e.g., barbet).

In all the times I have been on safari, I have NEVER seen a secretary bird flying so that was really wonderful.

Also I'm glad to know what kind of digital you used as I was concerned about how well the lens would work on far off shots.

Although you didn't get any pictures of wild dog, did you see any? That is one animal I would really like to see next time.

Thanks again.

Deb
Jun 24th, 2004, 12:52 PM

Yours are THE most amazing photos ever. I'm most impressed with all the names of the birds. Would love your hubbie to come on holiday with us as long as he brings his camera.
Jun 24th, 2004, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Hubby's head is getting bigger! Thanks for the kind words again.

I have a short break so will start my trip report. However I cannot possibly live up to the excellent literary and descriptive style of Uhoh_busted's recent report so will just stick to some observations about the camps & the game viewing.

We started with 3 nights at Nxabega. This is billed as a water camp, however most of our time was actually spent on drives, although we did drive through deep water fairly regularly - no problems. Nxabega is a tented camp - tents on platforms around the water's edge. We enjoyed this camp very much. The tents are nicely furnished and well-spaced so you have a great feeling of being in the wilderness. Elephant and Hippo wandered through and splashed around in the water near the tents most nights and the ele's often blocked the path to the lodge in the day.

The highlights are the staff there - they work so hard to learn everyone's name and then remember who we all are. They were very friendly and we had lots of laughs and jokes with them, while receiving some of the best service we've ever had. Food was very good - probably the best of the three camps.

All drives were with guide and tracker and, to add to the debate a few months ago, I think this makes a huge difference. Between them the guide and tracker seem to spot so much more than if there's only a guide who also has to concentrate on driving.

Game viewing was good - regular sightings of lion, elephants, zebra and giraffe. Also saw 2 honey-badgers and 3 bushbabies.

Night drives were exciting - particularly when 5 lionesses walked around the jeep - somehow they are so much more threatening in the dark. They were on the hunt and we followed them for a while but eventually left them to it. Next day we discovered them half way through a giraffe carcass - often climbing inside it to get to the best bits.

Birding was very good and always made the drives interesting, even in the patches where there wasn't much game around. I would encourage anyone going on safari to take some interest in this aspect - that way there's always something new to see and to watch out for.
Jun 24th, 2004, 07:44 PM

Ruthie, that link worked. Please tell your husband he has the eye. I first gulped when I saw it was 197 photos but they were worth it. These are some of the best bird photos I've seen. Not only does he capture the animal but he manages to get the spirit and the personality. It really shows when even his photo of a squirrel is captivating. I loved seeing the baby baboon and the interiors of your tent rooms - lovely! Did I miss the bushbaby shot or was it too dark? On a first trip to Africa it's hard to get excited about birds when you're dying to see pedators but I appreciated seeing your photos and being reminded of how beautiful some of them were. I have forgotten, but was this your husband's first trip to Africa? He did a fantastic job of telephoto shooting. Tell him we would all like some tips... did he bring a tripod? Was the built-in stabilizer that good that he didn't need one? Thank you for putting up this great album.
Jun 24th, 2004, 10:45 PM
DJE

What a wonderful souvenir of your trip having all those terrific photos. Thank you for allowing us to share in what looks to be a fabulous time in Africa. The variety of birds that you were able to capture is outstanding and you were fortunate to have viewed a lot of activity with the lions. Makes one eager for a return trip.
Jun 25th, 2004, 04:42 AM

Clematis,
If you don't mind a can give you a couple of tips on getting good focused shots. Sometimes tripods are a little too bulky to pack when you are so limited with weight constrictions to Africa.

There are however, a couple of other choices. Monopods can be used in open style jeeps that most private reserves use. And depending on the camp, sometimes they have them there for photographers to use. But I would always check with them first. Monopods are also lightweight and easy to pack.

Another suggestion is to use a small empty bean bag, about the size of a gallon plastic baggie which you can get at most camera stores. You can fill them up with sand upon arrival at your destination so you can use them to steady your camera/lens on. They are perfect for open top Land Rovers and I've used them as well in the jeeps resting on the side. Some camps/vehicles have them as well. Ours did in East Africa and in South Africa.

I prefer bean bags in Africa as they are little more versatile and much easier to pack.

The stabilizers in most telephoto lens help considerably but always know that depending on the film speed and or shutter speed, and the bigger the lens, the more careful of camera shake you have to be.

Hope this helps some.
Jun 25th, 2004, 05:37 AM

RuthieC - Please send me an invite to your photos [email protected]. Thanks.

Search this Thread