Botswana in January - Advice Needed

Feb 7th, 2005, 09:12 AM
Original Poster

Botswana in January - Advice Needed

Planning my first 2006 trip and because I am headed to Botswana in July to try and see Dogs denning, six months (about the longest we can go without being in Africa) puts us in Jan 2006.

Questions.
1. Has anybody visited Linyanti / Okavango in January. If so what was the weather like, how were the game an landscape.

2. What camps have people visited? We have been to Savuti, Kwando Lagoon, Chiefs, Sandibe. In July we go to Kings Pool and Mombo. I am particularly interested in Duba Plains, Jao, Vumbura. But all information is appreciated.
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:25 PM

hey napamatt, search my posts from earlier about weather/camps. i have been to the okavango twice in jan visiting mombo and duba plains.
Feb 7th, 2005, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Bigcountry

thanks, will do
Feb 7th, 2005, 01:32 PM

napamatt: I have been in that area in January 2003. We stayed at Duma Tau, Duba Plains and Mombo. We had outstanding sightings, especially at Duma and Duba. It was pretty hot during the mid-day, especially at Duba Plains, up to about 105. However, it was very comfortable at night and the game drives were pleasant -- only a little hot for the last hour in the morning and the first hour in p.m. At the time though they had no canopies on the vehicles and I know they were expecting them. At Duba Plains we saw 13 different male lions including the Duba Boys chasing off an intruder male and a buffalo hunt that ended in a stale mate between 9 male lions from 2 different prides. We also saw some nice elephant breeding herds, hippos, and great birding. Sightings at Duba Plains are specialized with the lions and not as diverse as other areas. However, I highly recommend it -- it was our favorite camp and the lion sighting is simply that amazing.

At Duma Tau we saw close to 30 mammal species in two days. Wild dog pack impala kill was the highlight. Saw leopard on a night drive and just a great variety.

Which camps are you staying at to try and see the dogs denning in July? I am leading a trip to Zambia at that time and am very excited as I am working with researchers using satellite technology that virtually guarantees sighting the puppies at the dens. I'd be curious where you are going and hope you have great luck!
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:02 AM
Original Poster

We are staying at Kings Pool which has had a lot of luck in recent years with dog dens. the Mopane in the Linyanti region is more dog friendly. We have seen dogs on two occasions at Mala Mala and they even denned there a couple of years ago, but its not great territory for them, with the large Lion and Leopard poplation. Lastly we are going to Mombo which has been seeing more ad more dogs in the alst six months so you never know.

Search this Thread