Botswana December 2011- trip ideas

Old Feb 6th, 2011, 03:20 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Botswana December 2011- trip ideas

Hello All

I am planning a trip to Botswana in December 2011 and been looking at the exhausting list of camps and lodges. Because it is December, I am trying to shortlist camps that will not be as seasonally compromised from a game viewing point of view. I am not up for a lodge/camp whose main selling point is 'fancy' 'relaxed' etc but if the game justifies it, then I do not have any issues against the expensive camps. Obviously the W-S camps are the most marketed and in my point of view justifiably so. However I am simultaneously looking at alternatives to the W-S camps where I could save a few $$$$ that I could then spend on quality guiding. I looked at the option for mobile safaris and have decided to keep that for more 'experienced' subsequent visits. Hence what I am really looking for are good camps with great game experience ( the best for that time of the year) and build a custom safari around it. I have roughly 15 nights to be fully used in Bots and will travel alone. Any thoughts and ideas would be very helpful.

Thanks
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 03:05 AM

I'm afraid there's no in-between formula.

If you visit the delta, you got to go to the typical WS or Kwando camps, and the problem is always that these are in the wetland areas (mostly), plus you don't know how much rain is going to fall.

Ergo; you either go for that and risk it, or you take a camping safari, which is the only option that gives you the possibility to move further away from water.

B.regs,

J.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 11:25 AM

I've been waiting for some others to address wildlife viewing in December. That's what you were looking for. The floods and rains have been so unpredictable that it is hard to state what camps are best when based on experience from past years.

To do a nice mobile safari in Botswana (Wilderness, AndBeyond, Masson), you don't need to be experienced with safaris. It is not camping where you pitch your own tent and cook your own dehydrated food. Everything is taken care of for you and you'll eat exquisitely.

Most mobile participants are first time visitors. I was the only repeat on my Wilderness mobile safari. With the uncertain nature of the climate/floods and the high cost of the camps, I'd tend toward a mobile, which has that option Pixelpower states of moving away from water. Single supplements tend to be more forgiving in a mobile and you may save enough on the camps to go twice.

Otherwise, if you'd like camp names, I'll suggest Chitabe and Little Vumbura.
Old Feb 7th, 2011, 12:11 PM

Mobile safaris in the delta (rainy season) are maybe not the most enjoyable safaris as you can expect daily showers and perhaps wet tents. They are great value for money in wintertime as the permanent camps are expensive.

There is no single supplement in the green season for Kwando camps. If the Tsum Tsum plains are accessible, Little Kwara would be the camp to go to in December. I always had excellent predator sightings in green season there.Hobbs is a fantastic guide. Can't go wrong with him. At the moment, they are using Shinde's airstrip.

Lagoon is also a camp to consider and Spencer is a guide who knows the concession like the back of his hand.

Chitabe and Little Vumbura are lovely camps and especially Chitabe has a good track record for predators. Phinley is my favourite guide there but BB is also very good.

Little Vumbura and Little Kwara are both located in wetter parts of the delta and it can be that parts of the concession will be flooded throughout the year.

At the Kwando camps, the vehicles have no roof but if it's raining cats and dogs a roof isn't of much use anyway.
Old Apr 12th, 2011, 07:38 PM

Was wondering if you had made any decisions about this trip, azure_man? Do keep us posted. I'm planning a Dec. 2012 trip myself so very interested in knowing why you chose whatever you did.
Thanks.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 02:27 AM

Look at the 5 Rivers Safari package and see if that fits your plans. The rates are good.
Old Apr 13th, 2011, 04:02 AM

Hello Azure-Man,

Botswana in the rainy season is a fantastic experience, obviously you want to experience the Delta as this is the quintessential Botswana experience. However, I would recommend to get a good overall experience, and excellent game viewing in December one should definitely include the Central Kalahari and/or Nxai Pan AND also incorporate the Savute area of the Chobe National Park. If you have 6 nights, 2 nights in each place will be perfectly adequate.

Fynbosguy sums up the benefits of the rainy season in this interesting blog:

http://www.mysafari.com/blog/no-rain...eason-132-view

The 5 Rivers Safari package is an excellent package as you can "mix and match" lodges which are common rated and the cost of the charter flights is also discounted and they do not charge a single supplement. The lodges in this package are all the Kwando Lodge, Island in Africa lodges and Xakanaxa (pronounced KA-CAN-NA-KA). You might also want to consider the Desert and Delta Lodges as the longer you stay with them - the cheaper the nightly rates become.

All the 5 River Safaris and Desert and Delta Safaris offer excellent value for money experiences.
Old Apr 17th, 2011, 04:29 AM

I envy you planning this trip. I'll share all the information you get. Have fun!
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 07:41 AM

Hi!

I'm almost in the exact same situation right now as you where last year. Would you like to share how your trip and experience was, where you lived and what you did? It could help me a lot!

Thank you!
Old Nov 11th, 2012, 09:08 AM

Pity there's no Azureman trip report. In fact this was the sole post.