Search

Bots Itinerary - Help!

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 07:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bots Itinerary - Help!

Ok, I thought I had a semi-good Botswana itinerary worked out, but there are sooo many nice places to stay, and so many different environments in Bots that I want to visit, that I am having a hard time landing on a final itinerary. I keep changing it with the travel agent - I know she is getting frustrated...as am I!

About the only thing I am sure of is 3 days at Jack's Camp in the Kalahari. But what about the Okavango (land & water), the Linyati/Selinda/Savuti area, and Vic Falls? Money is not an object (it will be a much-deserved birthday present to myself), and I prefer areas with huge predator concentrations, and great chances of seeing a kill. I am planning for the September timeframe. I'm at a loss with all the Wilderness & CC Africa camps & lodges in Bots. Please provide your expert guidance, Board - Help!
Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:17 PM
santharamhari

"great chances of seeing a kill"....it only happened on my 7th Africa visit.....so, dont count on it......

Reading your posts from the other threads......i recommend you spend some more time at Mombo (apparently, chief's island holds one of the largest lion densities)....you will like the lodge and service too....

Yes, i agree with your 3 nights at Jack's where i had a good experience in 2004.

I will leave the other recommendations to the others.......

Hari

Old Feb 11th, 2007, 08:27 PM

Howdy LionQueen - welcome aboard.

No need to fret!

Might be good to let us know how many days you have all up. If it is a 12 dayer you might want to consider this...

3 days Selinda area (Wilderness Safaris (WS) Selinda camp or Kwando camps)good for predators OR
3 days Savute area
3 days true water camp - Xigera (WS),or independent - Pom Pom or Xanaxana - for Morkoro and some game drives
Your 3 days in Jacks - for the pans
3 days livingstone (Zambia) for the Smoke that Thunders (the Vic Falls)inc time for visit to the Falls, Heli or microlight, afternoon river (sunset) cruise etc

LQ -how much time do you have?

have a sqiz at Alison's trip report from Duma Tau (WS) - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34944658

She had phenomenal predator sightings (green with envy)

Cheers
Thembi

Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:36 AM

To enjoy the best of Botswanas habitats you are on track.
Kalahari, Delta and the northern plains are the areas to visit. Where you stay is probably going to be dictated at this point by availability, thanks goodness you are not hamstrung by a budget, so you should be able to buy your way into any camp, but perhaps not your ideal.

To maximise your chances of seeing a kill you really do need to spend a great deal of time out on safari, so if you have unlimited funds perhaps you have unlimited time too? If time is an issue then I would suggest that you choose your camps based on their ability to take you on a night drive and get you off road. Then I would ask your agent to identify the camps that are the most flexible particularly in staying out late, as I understand it some of the overly luxurious camps tend to pride themselves on their cusine, consequently the ire of the chef is avoided by returning in good time so as not to spoil the potatoes.

Then if you are seriosuly hell bent on seeing a kill then frankly Botswana is not the place to be, you really need to go to the enclosed reserves in SA and follow a pride of lions until they eventually kill.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 06:27 AM

LionQueen: if you want a fair chance to see a kill, and I am assuming by your name you are into lions, you must stay at Duba Plains. It is the one place in Botswana that seeing kills in daytime occurs regularly (lions killing buffalo) and September is historically the prime month for the number of kills. Ideally if you can spend the money this is the place to get a private vehicle so you can leave early, find the pride near the buffalo and then wait all day for a couple days and you will have your best possible chance at witnessing a kill from start to finish -- of course no guarantee and it takes a lot of patience. Do a search for Atravelynn's last trip report and you can read in detail what the experience is like and decide if that is for you.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

Sheesh, it's hell trying to find your own message! This Board moves with lightning speed! To answer the questions, I am looking at spending approx. 15 days in Bots so enough time to spend 3 nights at a few camps/lodges in different environments.

The Duba Lions are fascinating, and worth their own post - so off I go PredatorBiologist! Look for my post! And thanks Board, I am closing in on a final itinerary that I feel comfortable & satisfied with!
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:04 PM

First a technical point to help you find your posts. Click on your name or type your name in the search box.

So 15 nights in Sept with 3 at Jack's for sure. That leaves 12 more nights.

As for Wilderness vs. CCAfrica (and I think you could include Kwando and Sanctuary in there) I’d choose where to stay based on what type of wildlife I hoped to see. I’ve only been to Wilderness or Wilderness marketed camps, but they all have outstanding reputations.

You mention you’d like to see a kill. That’s not something you can count on. I saw my 1st kill on safari #6. But the best place for witnessing lion kills is Duba Plains and Sept is an outstanding time to be there because you should have access to the whole concession to follow the lions and the buffalo herds. The purple text in this link to my Aug 05 trip is on Duba.

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34859832

I’d recommend 4 nights at Duba, rather than 3, to increase the odds of a lion kill. You could even spend more time.

That leaves

I’d do 3 at Little Vumbura—water activities, good game. The Kubu pride was active here and I saw a kill. The green text in the linked report is on Vumbura.

Then 4 at Zibalianja in the Selinda concession. The red text in the linked report is on Zib.

That leaves 1 night to view Victoria Falls.
Old Feb 12th, 2007, 04:07 PM

My Duba trip was Aug 06.