Search

Born Free Safari Tour

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14th, 2008, 03:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Born Free Safari Tour

We are thinking about going on a safari tour with Born Free Safaris. Has anyone traveled with them? The itinerary begins in Arusha, then on to Serengeti National Park, Ngorongoro Highlands (stopping at Olduvai Gorge), Ngorongoro Crater, then Lake Manyara National Park, then on to Amboseli National Park, then on to Masai Mara Game Reserve. It's about 14 days long and all the accommodations look nice. Wanted any feed back anyone might have. Thanks
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 05:10 AM

Advise when/month traveling.
Is this a group or independent safari?

Also, it's a good idea for us to see the day-by-day itinerary - which parks/reserves, lodging, how many days at each, means of transport (road or flights) - makes it easier to comment whether you're visiting the best areas and number of days at each.

This is doable in 14/days, but can be rather hectic - very long drives/getting from place to place. And, depending on time of year, some areas are better than others.

There are other posters on Fodor's who have used Born Free Safaris, and a search on this board will bring up their comments. Or see the East African Trip Report Index for more details of this outfitter and others you might want to consider.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 08:22 AM

I've used Born Free for airfare, as they have enough business to have contracts with NWA/KLM and SAA. I agree with Sandi, post your itinerary and let's see what they suggest. Because they are safari planners, they will be using local outfitters in Tanzania and Kenya. See if you can find out who they use in each country.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 09:59 AM
Original Poster

Here is the exact itinerary.
Day 1 Flight to Amsterdam
Day 2 Amsterdam to Arusha, Kigongoni Lodge
Day 3 fly from Arusha to Serengeti National Park, 1st game drive Mbalegeti Tented Lodge
Days 4-5 game drives in the Serengeti
Day 6 drive to Ngorongoro Highlands,stopping at Olduvai Gorge either Ngorongoro Serena or Sopa Lodge.
Day 7 descend Ngorongoro Crater.
Day 8 drive across the Ngorongoro Highlands and down the Great Valey Wall to Lake Manyara National Park. Kirurumu Lodge
Day 9 fly from Amboseli to Nairobi and continue on by land to Amboseli. Ol Tukai Lodge or Amboseli Serena
Day 10 early morning game drive see Kilimanjaro.
Day 11 fly from Amboseli to Nairobi
Day 12 -13 Masai Mara Game Reserve Kichwa Tembo Main Camp
Day 14 game drive and then back to Nairobi for flight back to US.
Without writing too much more that's what they are suggesting. This trip would be in June.
Thanks for any comments.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 10:23 AM

I assume on Day 9 you meant that you are flying from ARUSHA to Nairobi, not from AMBOSELI to Nairobi. Overall, it looks like a pretty busy itinerary, but you will be going to a lot of good areas and staying at good camps and lodges.
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 12:00 PM

Yeh, that Day 9 fly to Amboseli caught my attention also.

My only suggestion, considering the migration would be the highlight, and depending when in June traveling, you might want to consider instead of visiting the Serengeti first, to conclude here before heading to Kenya.

Day 1 - Lv US
Day 2 - Arv. JRO/Arusha
Day 3 - Drive to Manyara - o/n
Day 4 - Drive to Ngorongoro; afternoon game drive - o/n
Day 5 - Ngo; option: morning crater tour; drive to Central Serengeti - o/n
Day 6 - Game drive on way to Western Serengeti - o/n
Day 7 & 8 - W.Serengeti - o/n
Day 9 - Fly to Arusha; met for road transfer to Kenyan border; change vehicle/driver; drive to Amboseli - o/n
Day 10 - Amboseli - o/n
Day 11 - Fly to NBO; fly to Masai Mara - o/n
Days 12 & 13 - Masai Mara - o/n
Day 14 - Fly or drive to NBO; day-room; evening transfer for homebound flight.

The accommodations shown are good as a combination of lodges and camps.

Or fly into Kenya and visit Mara, then Amboseli, onto Tanzania and Days 3-9 (Manyara, Ngorongoro, Serengeti) as above. Leave for home from JRO instead of NBO. KLM flies in/out of both NBO and JRO.

Old Dec 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the help
Old Dec 15th, 2008, 02:31 PM

I have only corresponded with them and talked with others who have used them. They are quite reputable and were very professional to work with. Several years ago I found them to be much more expensive than many other options. That may no longer be true.

If you are going in June, the definitely do TZ before Kenya. Sandi's itinerary would be great.
Old Dec 16th, 2008, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the message it was so nice of you to respond.