Borana ranch Kenya

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 06:48 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Borana ranch Kenya

Hi I can't help thinking about Africa again and was thinking I would like to go somewhere you can ride and see wild life. I came across Borana ranch on an idle internet surf, has anyone got any information about this place? I'm thinking of going end of August and possibly linking Kenya with Zanzibar. I rather not break the bank after my Christmas splurge, any thoughts? Yvonne
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:11 AM

I was there three years ago. frankly had a much more enjoyable time at both Sabuk and Loisaba, which are not too far from Borana. I understand that the latter two are now part of an organisation called cheli & peacock. Great horse back, camel trekking, walks and even game drives with wild dogs, lions and so on.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your swift feedback mkhonzo, why did you perfer Sabuk/ Loisaba? I was impressed by the focus on horses Borana had on their website? where was the riding the best and why? Sorry to quizz you but I suddenly got excitied at the thought of riding through the bush.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 08:30 AM

truth be told, I am not an equestrian type person, so it was the additional activities that they offered that pleased me. Also I found the landscape at loisaba really pleasant, borana I found the bush to be thick and lacking in the plains and openess that the Laikipia ranhes offered. That said Sabuk was just spectaular offering a really earthy experience with it's simple style lodgings and so on.
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:28 AM
sandi

There was a recent poster - believe CherylC - who did an equi-safari in/around the Mara. However, she hasn't posted a trip report, so no details, yet available.

You might want to do a search on this board, as there have been some posts regarding horseback riding. Believe Cheryl used a company out of the States, but there are plenty of resources in Kenya for this activity.

Though I haven't been to Borana, have to agree with mkhonzo about Laikipia. We absolutely love it here. Sabuk was absolutely amazing with varied activities available at your own pace and on your own schedule.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for this , Loisaba looks great but expensive as I am travelling with husband and 11 year old and that means pacs X3.... possibly Cherylc might notice my post
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:03 PM

I've been waiting for CherylC to report back on both her riding safari in the Mara and her stay at Elsa's but so far no report

sandi,
Did she book her Elsa's stay through you? Have you had any contact with her since her return? Can you give her a hint that we're still waiting?

YvonneM,
Are you interested in a horseback safari or just day rides?

El Karama Ranch in Laikipia offers horse riding and is reasonably priced. They only have a website for their horseback safari operation (camping) but I'm pretty sure you can stay on the ranch in one of their cottages and go on day rides as well - www.horsebackinkenya.com

I stayed at El Karama last November (but did not ride) and you can find my trip report here (days 2-4) - http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...4&tid=34719569

And my photo link (the first 33 photos were taken on El Karama) - http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-r5e7ji

On that same trip, we also did a horseback safari on Ndarakwai Ranch in northern Tanzania which was organized through and guided by the owners of Makoa Farm - www.makoa-farm.com

We camped on Ndarakwai but you can also stay at the tented camp there if you don't want to do any real camping. Actually the camping was quite comfortable and this is coming from someone who doesn't really like camping

Details of our horseback safari can be found on the same trip report days 16-20 and here's the album link to our riding pics - http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-dle0fg

With the 3 of you, you could arrange a private riding safari although I'm unsure if Makoa has a minimum age requirement.

Good luck!
Old Mar 28th, 2006, 12:55 PM
sandi

Patty -

Yes, I did the Meru/Elsa's portion of Cheryl's trip. Did drop a welcome home note and hinted that I hoped to read her report, especially the equi-safari (that Patty, was probably waiting with baited breath to read). We all know how much time the planning for a trip takes; then we go and when you return you're back to your life. Hey, it took me what must have seemed forever to get my report done and posted. But, I prefer not to give up, we may still hear.

Old Mar 28th, 2006, 01:28 PM

I haven't given up either [-o<
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 02:53 AM
Original Poster

thanks for everyone's input, I must say I'm tempted to splureg out and find the money for Loisaba. I would love to do a proper riding safari but ould need to put myself and my famlily into some training for the vent! One issue is that although we are English my husband has only learned Western style riding, anyone know if they have any Western saddles and horses tained to these commands? I'm thinking of training him uup otherwise as teh Tanzania option also looks tempting
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 05:46 AM
sandi

Yvonne -

Something to remember - If you have children younger than 12 or 16 at time of travel, their prices will be discounted. So Loisaba might not be all that expensive.

Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:00 AM

Yvonne,
My husband and I are both western riders as well but had English tack for our safari with Makoa. Actually it was the first time my husband had ever ridden on an English saddle, and I probably hadn't been on one since I was 12 years old. It took a bit of getting used to, but we both thought it was fine. They were waiting for a shipment of western saddles, but it hadn't arrived yet when we were there (they probably have them now).

I think most other places in Kenya/Tanzania will only have English.
Old Mar 29th, 2006, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks I shall e mail Makoa on the basis of this. I really appreciate evryones input, sorry about my trping earlier I was too excited!