Search

Birds in Egypt

Search this Thread

Old Feb 11th, 2010, 04:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Birds in Egypt

A topic I haven't seen discussed before: What is birding like in Egypt? I will be visiting Egypt in early March, going to Cairo, Aswan, Abu Simbel, Nile cruise and Luxor. What can I expect to see in the way of birds (and other wild life)?

Can anyone recommend any good bird books for Egypt. My local book megastore doesn't stock anything, but Amazon has a couple. Can I pick up a good resource in Egypt?

Thanks for your help.
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 05:18 AM

an interesting question--as I was briefly considering a targeted birding trip to Egypt, then decided a more generalized trip would be best. (I've been previously, but my spouse has not, so I think he'd miss out on too much archeologically by going on a primary birding trip.) But as birders, we also would want to pay special attention to the birds, of course! You might be interested in this birding trip report from an Egypt birding trip, which has a list of birds seen at the end. It is a good starting point to get an idea of what is there:
http://www.rockjumper.co.za/upload/f...etra%20RBT.pdf

As for a field guide, there seem to be a couple of basic ones for Egypt on Amazon, but if you want something fully comprehensive it looks like the best best is one of the guides that covers the Middle East and/or North Africa. I would be interested to hear about specific experiences with any of the available guidebooks, so I'll be watching this thread!
Old Feb 11th, 2010, 07:57 AM

There are some speciality birding book stores on line that may have something.

Buteo Books in the US.
NHBC in the UK.

I would ask this question on www.birdforum.net

You'll probably be able to read someone's trip report there and find specific in country information. I'm guessing Egypt can be very good, when you look at how strong Ethiopia is. Just looking at my Collins Birds of Europe which shows Egypt, there are some very cool birds there, and I'm guessing if you time for migration then you could do very well.

Also for trip reports and information try www.surfbirds.com.

http://www.travellingbirder.com/bird...ding_Egypt.php

This last site has 130 trip reports. Enjoy!
Old Feb 12th, 2010, 09:20 AM

The AUC (American University in Cairo) Press have published two different books on Birds of Egypt. Unfortunatly mine are still packed so I can't give you exact names or the name of the one I like best.
I'm sure you will see plenty of bird life on the Nile. There are some specific areas that are best known for birding. If you have 2 nights free (or so) you might like to take a trip to Wadi Natrun and visit the preserve for birds up there.
Have a good time.
Old Feb 26th, 2010, 08:24 AM

You can get a fellucca ride to kitcheners island whilst on the cruise at Aswan. The Emelio Domina Presige extend this excursion for a minimal amount to do a bird watching tour. It is fantastic and we always take part as it is so relaxing. You may also get to see a crocodile if the boat docks at a crocodile farm. You can also see men and children in home made little boats fishing in the Nile. I reccomend this trip as a must. The boat shop sells a good book on the local birds. You will see Osprey, gwako Heron Egrets and more. In Cairo and on the West bank we have also seen Hoho or Hodhod birds.
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 01:26 PM

The AUC Press books were on sale at the book store in Aswan, where I purchased "Common Birds of Egypt," which I've loaned to a birding friend who left today for Egypt & Jordan. There was another which had more species. AUC may have a web site. If your cruise is beginning in Aswan (where ours ended), buying one there may be an option. Ask your guide about the store.

I wish I'd seen this discussion before going. I didn't see that many birds, but did have my binoculars!

Samcat