Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Better Safari in early July, Kenya or Tanzania?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 27th, 2010, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm heading to Kenya and Tanzania this summer and looking to book a 4-6 day safari for start of July. I'm trying to get a feel for which country would be more ideal for seeing a safari. I've heard positive things about Tanzania (less crowded, great locations) but also heard it is more expensive. I'm also a little clear on which area at this time of year is better for animal and migration viewing. Anybody have any insight or recommendations?

Thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 01:46 PM

Sure Tz is abit expensive than Kenya....on the other hand you want to witness the migration?..

July/August is the best time to expirience it at Maasai mara Reserve Kenya.

Especially when the animals are crossing the river.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 02:22 PM

In early July, the Migration herds have not usually moved into Kenya. You'd probably want to stay in either Tanzania's northern Serengeti, the Western Corridor, or the central Seronera area. Of course, the Masai Mara in Kenya has relatively good game viewing any time of year.
Old Apr 27th, 2010, 05:43 PM

I second ShayTay's account. You are right on the crowds and costs, Gsm.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 06:44 AM

Early July, for the migration = the Western Serengeti.

The herds usually don't reach Kenya's Masai Mara before late-July (earliest), more likely early August thru early-October.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 07:25 AM

If July is your month to travel, then I concur with Sandi, ShayTay and atravelynn. Definitely Tanzania’s Western Corridor. I also like Tarangire National Park in July.
Old Apr 28th, 2010, 07:30 AM

I also agree with the above posters !
Old Apr 29th, 2010, 03:56 AM

Sure Tanzania is a great counrty to catch and see the migration ,you dont have to miss this!
Just carry enough films with you.
Old May 14th, 2010, 07:13 AM

If you are flexible with your travel time and have not booked yet you could join our bandwagon for August to view the wildebeest migration in the Masai Mara. We would be happy to have your mind on this.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 11:29 AM

As they say in India, ShayTay, may you always be blessed with butter and sugar in your mouth (meaning may you be blessed with good things for being a well wisher)!

I'm in the process of trying to put together a purely N. Serengeti trip for July 2011, so I certainly hope the wildies don't cross over much too early to the Mara...
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:03 PM

Sangeeta, I didn't know good advice was so fattening! Thank you for your blessings. I know you'll love Tanzania; it's one of my favorites places in the world. One thing to consider: although several hundred thousand wildbeests cross into Kenya, several hundred thousand more stay in Tanzania, according to scientists. Being correctly positioned is the key. Spend some time in the northern Serengeti, but don't skip other areas in northern Tanzania, such as Tarangire and the Ngorongoro Crater. There is also good, year-round game viewing in the central Serengeti around the Seronera area, so you might consider spending a couple of days in that area, as well, or even out in the Western Corridor where some of the Migration herds might be.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 12:43 PM

Sangeeta - In July the herds are often in the West, but by later in the month they start moving north. However, from year-to-year this can vary. So it might be a good idea, depending on when in July you split the time... maybe between West and North, or Central, West and North... depends on how many day. And, as ShayTay mentions, don't discount a stop at Tarangire which has it's own mini-migration and, of course,, the Ngorongoro Crater. Good luck!

Suggest if you have further queries for your trip, you start your own thread.
Old May 22nd, 2010, 01:22 PM

You're welcome, ShayTay. If I find the herds in July and you find yourself putting on weight in August, you can blame it on me

Actually, ShayTay & Sandi, I think I'm pretty much certain about where I want to go. Trying to nail down the "hows", as in "how much time in which place" and "how much will this cost". Thinking of splitting my time (about 12 days) between Grumeti, Wogakuria and Bologonja. I will take Sandi's suggestion and start a new thread soon.

Thanks.