Best time for the migration in Tanzania

Dec 11th, 2007, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Best time for the migration in Tanzania

After discussing a few options for next years vacation we have finally decided on a trip to Tanzania (leaning towards Northern Tanzania) during the migration.

We had originally thought October but I've read conflicting reports that the herds are still in the Mara during that time.

While I realize it is not an exact science, when is the best time to go?
Dec 11th, 2007, 07:05 PM

Loru100,

Hi! I was asking the same exact question while seeking suggestions to start on planning a trip to Tanzania and the common suggestion i was receiving was Jan-March in Southern Serengeti is the best time to go.

But, please keep us updated with your plans ......
Dec 12th, 2007, 12:33 AM

hello, I think the best time to go to the serengeti would be feb end march beginning, the wildes start dropping thier calves and the birthing cycle is related to the full moon

I think PB is going this year and mentioned it on the forum,

Sonali
Dec 12th, 2007, 06:09 AM

We've gone to the Serengeti area twice in late January and once early April ... one January trip it was abnormally dry and the wildebeest were still milling around the woodlands where there was still water, the second January trip the short grass plains were beautifully green after a lot of Dec rain and we saw hundreds of thousands of wildebeests, 170 lion sightings, 20 cheetahs yadda yadda yadda. The April rainy season trip also had many wildebeests but much of the plains were off-limits because of so much rain, and there were billions of insects.

So basically mid-January thru mid-March gives you the best chance of catching the migration on the plains but without TOO much rain.

We are going late February into early March on our next trip and should see more calving, but you never know for sure because of the unpredictable rain. Here are some links to pics from the three trips mentioned above ... the January 2007 trip was the one with near-ideal rainfall conditions. http://www.hiltonphotography.net/africa/

Where you go is also critical, some people on Fodors have reported staying at the crater and then next going to central or western Serengeti and they are simply driving (or flying) past the best spots in the south Serengeti, which has very limited lodging space. Some stayed in swank lodges but saw a fraction of the game that you'd see elsewhere. So make sure you are in the right area.

Bill
Dec 12th, 2007, 07:14 AM

Sonali is correct, I will also be in the southern Serengeti during the last week of February. I agree with Bill H. that mid-January to mid-March should all be wonderful. We are staying in Olakira, a seasonal mobile camp that will be set up around the Serengeti/NCA border.
Dec 12th, 2007, 09:30 AM

PB, enjoy your trip and keep us posted, looking forward to your analysis

Bill, which camps or lodges are you going to be staying at in serengeti

Hope you have a great time,

Sonali
Dec 12th, 2007, 09:59 AM

Bill, which camps or lodges are you going to be staying at in serengeti

4 nights Ndutu (NCA), then 3 nights central Serengeti (2 nights Serena, one night their tented camp), then 3 nights back at Ndutu, then to Manyara ... skipping the crater this year.

Bill
Dec 12th, 2007, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your replies. Nice to hear from you Hari. As you can tell we're still undecided and are now leaning towards the Mara in September at the Govenor's camps with an extension to Rwanda to see the gorillas. Which will lead me to research the big question, Rwanda or Uganda? Thanks again.