Best Safari at the End of May?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23rd, 2009, 07:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to some of the regulars for their help with my first ever safari albiet yet to be taken. That means YOU atravelynn, Momliz and Cary999! In late Feb. you helped me "Bite off more than I can chew" with my SO and her boys. I have been working with Alison Nolting at African Adventure and Julian Harrison at Premier Tours on a 10 day safari during the Migration in Kenya orTanzania. They have been great with custom tours with a private guide and a camel safari at one point. I must admit however that I think Alison pushes the air arrangements a bit too much in her favor. We were working on last week of August and first week of September as a window. I just found out, unfortunately, that both collegiate boys start school before Labor Day and so that time frame is out. We're still looking at around the 4th of July as an alternate departure to catch the Migration but of course the itinerary has to change and now we're backing to other comittments. An alternate under consideration is the last half of May (next year because I don't think we can put it together this year) even though I had my heart set on the Migration on the Serengetti or the Mara. Clearly the Migration is not a consideration for May but what do you recommend for that time period?? This year is not out yet but we're open to suggestions of other venues other than Kenya and Tanzania for May. Confused? Sorry. I get that way!

Also there is much talk about Delta direct to Nairobi from Atlanta starting in June. One of my illustrious consultants thinks it saves at least a half day of travel in a packed 10 day safari. I wonder. It doesn't make sense although I have not seen a sample itinerary for air travel.The other thinks it's dangerous to rely on Delta one month after they begin this service. She (oops I spilled the beans here) told me if Delta doesn't get the traffic we could end up scrambling for another airline last minute. This is the only point of mistrust and I clearly recall that atravelynn told me Africa Adventure got her out of jams a few times. I think it's a sign of the economy, though. Alison's clearly more expensive air-wise, witness what BA offers on-line. Julian is more in line.

One consultant says that FIFA will impact prices next year and the crowds; the other thinks the event has nothing to do with safari industry. I find this disturbing in light of the fact that both are note-worthy recognized authorities in this travel arena.

I know I wrapped several issues here but you experts can certainly take it! May I ask for a comments from any and all of you here on any and all of the issues??

Kindest regards........................BooBear
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 07:01 AM

You can certainly still arrange for late May. Be aware though this is one of the "wet" months, though no guarantee rain, whether daily or showers, but possible. Rates, however, are at low-season, so to your advantage.

The Migration can be found in the Central (even possibly the Western) Serengeti in Tanzania.

Even with the Delta flight to NBO, there is a stop in Senagal, but no plane change. You might save an hour or so over a flight thru Europe.* You can fly KLM thru AMS departing 10:30am and direct into JRO (about 8pm) for safari here. If you choose a carrier (many do) that gets you into NBO instead you can do a short (50/min) flight to JRO or do a private road transfer (5/hrs) to Arusha which is 45/min from JRO.

*Unless you get caught with a 10/hr layover, say in London flying BA or Virgin, most flight have the same actual flying time. If I leave the States in the morning, I arrive East Africa early-afternoon; if leaving States in evening, arrive in EA evening.

With only 10/days you really don't have sufficient time to also visit Kenya, but you can probably fit in 1/day in NBO for sightseeing.

Have the agents work up a 10/day Tanzania itinerary, then report back here with their offerings.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 10:12 AM

I don't know where you're originating, but coming from LAX, the Delta flight saves about 2 hours over traveling via Europe to NBO. Go to Flight Schedules on delta.com and see how that compares to other routings from your point of origin. If they cancel the route (it's been postponed twice already), they'll have a protection agreement with another carrier though you may or may not like the new routing.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 05:04 PM

I'd be hesitant going with Delta in the first month of operation in this economy. I would be jumping at Delta, if it offered better flight times and savings, in more prosperous times.

If you don't care for the air pricing offered, you can book your own through Kayak.com. Some of the less expensive options there, have about a 1-hour layover in London, though, and I'm scared of that.

Check out some of the May trip reports in Tanzania. People saw the migration.

<b>You can go this July?</b> That's your best bet yet. Prices are dropping to lure travelers, it is the dry season in Tanzania, the migration should be between Western and Central Serengeti, the grass in the crater will be shorter for better viewing than May, with two college age boys who knows what they'll be up to by next May that could wreck all your plans. July is a great time for Tanzania. I went twice in July and July has been mentioned as a favorite time for Tanzania.

Get those agents working on July.

Yes, AAC came through when I had flight problems once in Africa. They also threw out one set of flights that had been completely paid for and replaced them with different flights (no charge) and a new itinerary when we changed plans a couple of weeks before departure due to some security issues in Uganda.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all of your suggestions. For the price of 4 people I just don't want to take a chance on the weather in April. And I was leaning toward Tanzania in July for both the proximity of the Migration as well as my understanding that Kenya is more expensive. We can go in July.

Atravelynn, you have been the best ally before and now! I respect you advice. I suspect AAC can make those changes because they don't go with bare bones pricing and there is something to be said for that! I will look at Kayak.com. I'm into saving especially for 4 people but I don't want to be left open to problems.
Special thanks!

I will let you know how things sort out.

Kind regards..............BB
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:54 PM

You can try these too. I have not used them

http://www.consolidatorwebfares.com/afspecials.htm
airlineconsolidator.com
http://www.johnnyjet.com/
http://www.bargaintravel.com/africa.html

Or try Mongol Global. I've traveled with them a couple of times to Asia and they also do consolidated air fares all over the world.

Owner Russ tried to help me out with airfare to Kigali. The connections I wanted did not work out, but that's another source and a second opinion.
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 06:55 PM

The Mongol Global contact is here

www.mongolglobaltours.com
toll free (866) 225-0577
[email protected]
Old Mar 24th, 2009, 07:41 PM

<i>as well as my understanding that Kenya is more expensive</i>

My experience has actually been the other way around.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 04:18 AM

Tanzania is way more expensive than Kenya. They've played "catch-up" over these past few years.
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 11:04 AM

May I add my 2 cents:

As the economy is rather going downwards for at least 18 more months I don't think FIFA is going to have a great impact on to rates.

Indications are that even during peak season tents are going to be available but more in the high end market than in the mid range (3 and 4 *).

Regarding Delta - it has to be seen whether they are going to fill their planes in order to continue that route or adjust flight days. So I would rather not focus too much in that as this will also be relying on the economy.

IF Kenya for may I would not go e.g. to Meru because of the elephant grass which makes sightings difficult.

Mara should be okay as well as Laikipia and Amboseli.

Happy Planning!

SV
Old Mar 25th, 2009, 02:19 PM

Boobear

I am also doing my safari (in May- Botswana) with AAC, and I did my own international flights, and there was not a problem with that. Initially they told me that it would cause my intra-african flights to be more expensive, but that did not prove to be the case.

And I agree, go soon, rather than putting off for another year.

amy

PS in my response to your original post, I did note that colleges usually start before labor day, but at least you found out before you booked, and probably because you have gotten the africa bug,(from your planning) you will most likely do this trip this year!!!