Best Portable Field Guide South Africa?

May 9th, 2011, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

Best Portable Field Guide South Africa?

I know I've read discussion on field guides here, but can't now find. I bought "The Wildlife of Southern Africa" by Vincent Carruthers, Seems okay, but wonder if others have favorites? Plan on noting down what we see from the jeep, then researching more thoroughly from a guide later in the day. Ideas anyone? Thanks
May 9th, 2011, 09:39 PM

If you really, really wanted to know lots about the mammals you're seeing there's "The Safari Companion by Estes." But with the accent on Portable, I'd probably recommend "Wildlife of East Africa" (Princeton Pocket Guides) by Martin Withers and David Hosking, figuring it'll cover just about most of what you'll see in Southern Africa. It's very portable, contains a reasonable amount of descriptive information on the animals, and, at less than $14 from Amazon, is, I think, a bargain.
May 10th, 2011, 12:04 PM

If you're travelling to Kruger or any of the Northern parks in South Africa a great field guide is Game Ranger in Your Back Pack by Meggan Emmell and Sean Pattrick. It covers mammals, birds, reptiles, insects and trees in the region - although I have a plethora of guide books, bird books, etc. this is the one I use the most often on game drives. Only snag is I'm not sure if it's available outside of SA but is generally available in good SA bookstores, Exclusive Books has outlets at most airports in SA
May 10th, 2011, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to you both. We are going to the reserves near Kruger & also Kwazulu-Natal, so like the idea of Game Ranger book. Amazon claims it is out of print, so will just have to try our luck at bookstore at JNB.
May 11th, 2011, 11:52 AM

The Game Ranger book is still available in local book stores in SA at approx. R249 (approx US$40 I think). If you are arriving at OR Tambo in Johannesburg Exclusive Books have two outlets at the airport - website link : http://www.exclus1ves.co.za/; perhaps you could you e-mail them: [email protected] and ask them to keep a copy for you at one of the outlets so that you can purchase when you arrive in SA.

A good field guide is a must as it's great to identify the animals (with a bit of help from your book). Off to Kruger in 2 weeks on a photography / bird watching break and will be taking my guides with but Game Ranger is the one I find most versatile. If you're on a guided game drive the rangers will probably also have their own bird guides.

I have also find it very useful to take a checklist (the birders call them twitchlists) with and mark off which animals or birds I've seen. A useful site where you can download lists for Kruger is:
http://www.kruger-national-park-guide.com
May 11th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

Very useful info. -- thank you.
May 12th, 2011, 02:36 AM

If you have an ipad, I was recommended the Kingdon guide available as an app.