General Questions about planning trip to Botswana and South Africa

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am just beginning to start planning a trip fall of 2007 to [we think] these two countries. What books would you suggest to start? Did you use an agent and if so, what do I look for in a reliable,honest agent? Any other beginning hints will be helpful
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 02:44 PM

Hopefully someone will chime in with the name of Mark Nolting's book -- for me, its the best book on safaris, camps and countries. The Bradt guide to Botswana is also excellent, but it may be too detailed.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 05:04 PM

The book is Africa's Top Wildlife Countries.

Some of the best advice: Look at the Southern Africa index on this forum. Here's the link.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34858382

Also post all your questions in one thread. Fodorites love to answer them.

Reliable, honest agent = been around awhile, used by Fodorites with success, I always ask for 2 references even though I know these can be skewed. Make sure they are interested in talking to you on the phone and that they answer your questions.

Here are some that have been used recently, but this is not an all inclusive list for Southern Africa.

Africa Adventure
Africa Travel Resource
Destiny Africa
Eyes on Africa

Have fun with your planning journey in prepartion for the real journey.

Finally, don't delay. Botswana camps are actually filling up.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 07:28 PM

You're lucky to have discovered this form as you're just starting to plan your trip; I didn't until just about everything was in place--but have still found the information on this form to be amazingly helpful. We've used Siyabona Africa and have found them to be exceptionally helpful, responsive, and willing to answer endless questions and make endless changes. Another agent that is based in the U.S. that friends used and spoke very highly of is Fisheagle Safaris, based in Houston. Generally, I prefer to work with an agent based in the country I'm going to--but that's very personal. As far as books, I like the Lonely Planet Guide and the Rough Guide which may not provide in-depth information but are very useful for developing an itinerary.
Old Oct 20th, 2006, 08:45 PM
santharamhari

The Bradt guide book is very good. So is, Botswana- Insider's guide by Ian Michler.....but, for specific experiences at specific camps, game sightings etc etc., do a search on the archives on fodors and you will be able to get upto speed. Enjoy!!!

Hari

Old Oct 21st, 2006, 09:28 AM

David Anderson is a great safari planner and has been at it for over 30 years. He's recently published a "coffee table" book called "On Safari" with lots of info and photos of many of the camps in Africa, including Botswana and South Africa.