Best Luxury Safari Operators?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:07 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are looking to take a private, luxury safari throughout Tanzania in April 2008. I had a safari all planned with Africa Dream Safaris (they are really great) I went to book it and (this will seem silly to most) but they don't take American Express and that is the only card my husband will use to book travel with. So now I have to start my safari planning all over. Any suggestions on other tour operators would be very helpful.

Thank you

Lisa
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:34 PM

A company named Intrav, based in St. Louis, has a safari to Kenya and Tanzania with several departure dates this summer/fall. It is called Wings Over Kilimanjaro. I don't know if they take AE. You can find them on the internet.

We have traveled with them before, including a trip to Tanzania last year. Whether they are "best", I couldn't say as that is pretty subjective, but we were very pleased with them.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 03:47 PM

Ask them to sign up with Paypal as you can use AMEX for your payment.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:29 PM

I think you'll find that most safari companies or planners will not take a credit card for more than the deposit. That's the case for even "luxury" companies like Thomson Safaris. Your husband's limitations might keep you from a trip of a lifetime or cause you to spend thousands more than you need to.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:33 PM

By the way, April is the rainy season... any reason why you plan to go then?
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM

We have had great luck with Yvette and African Portfolio. We and our friends have used them for several Luxury Safaris. And they take Amex.
Ask for Yvette DeVries. 1-800-700-3677

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:48 PM

Yikes... could I be any denser? For some reason I just spaced out over the fact that you were planning on going in April of 2008. Sorry!
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 04:51 PM

CCAfrica takes credit cards, including AMEX, for the entire amount. Note that's not the best exchange rate.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Lisa-
Micato will book you a private safari (See their brochure or the internet for the one called "Micato's Private Africa" - they have sugestions, but you can choose from lots of luxury camps, etc.)and I always use my Amex there - for the whole thing. Actually they only take Amex or a cheque.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:00 PM
santharamhari

Agree with Marija.....CCA accepts Amex and are easy to deal with....

Hari

Old Feb 19th, 2007, 08:03 PM

From what I remember, Africa Travel Resource (ATR) takes Amex.
Old Feb 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM

Uncharted Outposts.com did a great job for us and took American Express.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 05:22 AM

A lot of outfitter will take a credit card, but you must pay the %.

Roy Safari's wanted 7% = $700.00. Worth the savings to pay by check.
Old Feb 20th, 2007, 06:13 AM
sandi

Paypal can be a good option for some things, but last I checked, they will not do it for anything related to "travel." So, if you choose this route, check before even opening an account with them.

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 01:39 PM

How luxurious do you want it? Micato, Abercrombie and Kent, Big Five are all really expensive but I don't know if they take AmEx.
Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 02:12 PM
sandi

Any reputable travel agent, tour operator or outfitter should be able to get you as much or as little luxury as you want. Are you looking to spend $250/nt/person or $500+/nt/person? It's all relative.

Remember, April is the rainy season, with many of the lux mobile camps closed (except Nomad's and TUC). And, if wet, do you want to be on the ground vs a camp set on wood decks? But, prices are lower during this period.

With lower prices, you may get such a good deal, it might not be worth even using the credit card (any card) and paying a sizeable fee. Anyone who is accepting credit cards, is charging you for it, which can range up to 10%... that's hefty!

Old Feb 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
Original Poster

One thing I'm worried about the Micato safaris is that it seems that they don't use the "best" lodges. Example: Ngorongoro Serena Lodge instead of Crater Lodge. In fact, they only seem to use Serena or Sopa which kind of worries me because I want to stay at great places. Would love to hear peoples views on this

Thank you for all your help so far!

Lisa
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 04:44 AM

All the people that suggested PayPal.

Remember, it doesn't cost you anything to send money through PP, but PP will take a fee for transferring the money to another individual/company.
Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 05:02 AM
sandi

lisa -

Micato has itineraries using higher end lodges/camps (check their site... you'll find these), but you pay dearly for that; these are still group tours. For independent travel with Micato, the even further add to your budget... much higher.

Again, many other operators out there can book high-end properties at about 1/3 less than Micato and provide you with a private itinerary.

Which properties are of specific interest to you?

Old Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:16 AM

Lisa, I took Micato in 2005. The 'Grand Safari' to Kenya & Tanzania. The Grand Safari is the luxury option - using more expensive lodges & camps, like the Crater Lodge, Kirawira, Bateleur at Kichwa Tembo, Mt Kenya Safari Club, etc. Even then, you also have the option of building your own itinerary to get the precise lodges & camps that you want. I would know - my Bots itinerary is costing sthe equivalent of a house downpayment (the kind that avoids PMI)! LOL. Hope this helps...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -