Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

A couple quick book/film recommendations...

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:28 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just finished reading "Scribbling The Cat" by Alexandra Fuller (author of Don't Let Go To The Dogs Tonight).

This was an amazing read...I first opened the pages with hesitation, but after the first couple chapters, it was apparent that this was going to be an incredible book, and it was. It is the story of the author's time spent with a Rhodesian soldier, retracing many of his steps through Mozambique and Zimbabwe.

Another recommendation..."In Your Country" starring Samuel L. Jackson, as a Washington Post reporter and Juliette Binoche as an Afrikaans writer, each covering the Truth & Reconciliation Commission. Very powerful movie. Highly recommended.
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 11:21 AM

Oh, I've seen the trailer for "In Your Country." Glad to hear it's good.

Recently saw: "Diamonds and Rust," a very interesting documentary (several years old, I believe) about a crew of Namibians, South Africans and Cubans (!) aboard a vessel getting diamonds off the ocean floor.

And "Our Father" about 2 boys from Chad who go looking for their errant father. Poignant.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 12:16 PM

Roccco
Loved your dog stories..you might enjoy African Tears, as a follow up to Fuller's two books-it is about the land invasions in Zimbabwe in 2000. I really enjoyed her books, and would love to hear about others...I assume you have read West with the night, by Beryl Markham..if not it is very good.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 02:35 PM

Paul Theroux's Dark Star Safari is a cautionary tale of travelling off the air-conditioned path in Africa. His writing is angry, self-absorbed and quite brilliant. I highly recommend it!
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Original Poster

kata,

Thanks for the recommendations...I am fascinated by the recent history of Southern Rhodesia, and I will definitely be picking up a copy of the books you recommended.

Mommar, I agree that Paul Thoreaux's writing is angry and self-absorbed, but I have a differing opinion on him, and never even made it halfway through Dark Star Safari before I wanted to hunt him down to shove the book down his throat...I kept hoping that in Kenya that one of the hijackers would successfully aim and shoot Mr. Thoreaux, quite honestly.

One day, when I have no other more interesting books to read, I will probably pick up Dark Star Safari again and read it until completion...for now, however, there are about 20 books I would rather read.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 09:37 AM

Also I just saw an excellent documentary on dvd called "Lost Boys of Sudan," about Sudanese refugees who were relocated in the U.S. It's available on Netflix and I recommend it highly.
Old Apr 11th, 2005, 12:26 PM

Received 33 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm currently reading the novel "Things Fall Apart" by Nigerian author Chinua Achebe. It's a fascinating look into tribal Africa, focusing on a very strong, very proud, very difficult man. I'd highly recommend it.
Karen
Old Apr 17th, 2005, 07:43 AM

"Hotel Rwanda" is a remarkable movie that tells the (true) story of a hotel manager in Rwanda whose wisdom and heroism saved a thousand or more lives during the genocide that took place during the 1990s. The movie is showing now in the US and Europe -- it's informative and thought-provoking.