Safari/ Africa books for pre-teens?

Aug 6th, 2005, 02:13 PM
Original Poster

Safari/ Africa books for pre-teens?

Hi All!

Have just about finalized our planning for our trip in July 2006. I have ordered all kinds of books (many which were recommended by fellow Fodorites), but they are all mainly geared for adults.

A 15 year old teen (girl), and two boys ages 11 and 12 will be travelling with us. It would be nice if they can get a peek into Africa via a book. We've been watching loads of National Geographic, but are there any interesting books out about life in Africa geared for their age groups?
Aug 6th, 2005, 02:52 PM

I know Jonathan Scott has released a couple of books aimed at kids but to be honest I think they are aimed at much younger ones.

However, the books that he released associated with Big Cat Diary (the Cheetah, Lion and Leopard ones) would probably be great for kids as they'd learn a lot about the behaviour of these animals whilst also being able to follow the story of individual named characters too.

Beautiful photographs throughout, of course, mostly taken by Angie, and Jonathan too...

Aug 6th, 2005, 04:08 PM
bwanamitch

I recommend 'The Complete Book of Southern African Mammals', a wonderful encyclopedia and the best coffee table book on African mammals I know. This book is not aimed at kids, but I remember that I loved to explore such books as a young boy.

You can find a description (flap text and large cover image) on my website,
http://www.safari-shop.de/CoffeeTabl...#0-947430-55-5

Order this book at www.kalahari.net in South Africa - it's as easy as with Amazon, and delivery will take about 3-4 weeks.

Mitch

Aug 6th, 2005, 05:47 PM

I came across this book for our 10 year old son. It is titled "Safari Journal" by Hudson Talbott. Great read for a 8-14 year old child. Our son really enjoyed this book - a good preview to our upcoming safari. It is writen from a 12 year New York boys's perspective as he travels on safari in Kenya with his aunt. Here is a web site with more info:

http://www.hudsontalbott.com/safarijournal.htm

Andrew

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846
Aug 6th, 2005, 05:50 PM

The Flame Trees of Thika by Elspeth Huxley is a beautiful memoir of a childhood in the bush of Kenya. Relevant for your daughter, certainly and possibly even of interest to your sons, depending on their reading skills and interests.
Aug 7th, 2005, 04:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks much, all of these are great suggestions! I'll be on the net ordering away today (which also adds up points on my CC for my next trip!)
Aug 7th, 2005, 01:17 PM

Which country/region are you going to?
Aug 8th, 2005, 06:17 AM

Hello,

There is a book called 'The Lion Children' which is written by the children in a family doing lion research in Botswana. The children are of various ages, so it might be a good option for your family.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread