Best african safari around May 25th

Apr 29th, 2012, 11:19 PM
Original Poster

Best african safari around May 25th

Hi,

My wife and I are intersted in going on an african safari around May 25. This is the only time both of us can get a vacation and we didnt want to go anywhere else if a safari was possible. Based on some online research we shortlisted Kenya and Tanzania. But I read in a few places that it rains a little during end of May. Is end of May a decent time to do game viewing? Also, does rain cause health risks? I am inflexible on dates and if we dont get any value for money from africa we have to look at some local US destinations. I have never been to Africa, so please advise.

Thx
Apr 30th, 2012, 04:07 AM

So you are from, USA, right? And you are thinking of spending one, or two, or three weeks on safari? Coming from USA considering the long expensive air flights involved and the time changes I would not go to Africa for less than two weeks.

Malaria is a health risk. Value for money is very subjective. Is you budget $500 per person per day? There is no other wildlife, nature, experience like an African safari. If you want culture go to Europe, if you want scenery go to South West USA. Your choice. And May 25 is three weeks away, safari/African flights and accommodations will be limited. You might want to drive USA in May and plan safari for next year.

regards - tom
Apr 30th, 2012, 06:03 AM

By the end of May rains should be subsiding (keep in mind no one can guarantee weather!) and East Africa would probably give you a great safari. I've been there in November for the short rains and though it rained often (mostly at night) I had very good game viewing. From much of the reading I've done, experts say that even in April, when rain is supposed to be heaviest, game viewing will be good and rains tend to come in the afternoon. For end of May, it sounds very worth the shot.

If I were you I'd focus on Kenya, in part because budget appears to be of concern. Visa fees for Kenya are cheaper than Tanzania, as are airfares generally speaking (i.e., you usually can do better flying to Nairobi than to Kilimanjaro) and accommodations. In May you will get very good rates for accommodations in Kenya, certainly much lower than say July-October. Because May is low season I would think availability will be open.

In East Africa you'll need an antimalarial whenever you go. Malaria mosquitoes hunt low after dark (legs, ankles, they're generally not the type to buzz around the head) so between dusk and dawn make sure you use a repellant on exposed skin.

If you two have been thinking Africa for a long time, go for it. I've yet to hear someone say they were disappointed.
Apr 30th, 2012, 09:29 AM

I'd suggest Tanzania, not Kenya, if you want to see the Migration herds. They should be in the central Serengeti then. That's why it's low season in Kenya at that time of year... not as much to see. As noted by the other posters, the rains will be subsiding by late May. The grass in some areas might be higher than later in the dry season, but I don't think that will cause you a problem. Even though Tanzania might be a bit more expensive than Kenya, you'll get better value for your money by going there.
Apr 30th, 2012, 03:53 PM

If budget allows, I'd go with Tanzania in May, otherwise Kenya.

If you read some of the May trip reports for either Kenya or Tanzania and look at the pictures, you'll be envious of either destination.

When you get back home from East Africa, whichever you chose, you'll say, "We made the right choice," followed quickly by, "We have to go back."

Since you comment on value for money and US destinations, I'll just mention where I am going in May in the US for not much $$. My husband and I are returning to Theodore Roosevelt National Park in North Dakota on a driving trip. May is before the bulk of the tourists and the foals & buffalo calves are still little. Can be rainy there too, and windy. But no malaria pills needed.

That "yet to hear someone say they were disappointed" comment about Africa is so true. If you can possibly manage, go to Africa!
May 1st, 2012, 08:34 AM

Rates are low in both countries (it's the long rains that should be ending by then and even if not won't inhibit safari) in May even though Kenya tends to be a bit less costly than Tanzania. Also, the Kenya Visa is less and there are more air carriers into Nairobi, Kenya than Kilimanjaro, Tanzania.

However, if the migration is your wish... go for Tanzania as the rates thru the month will be favorable. But know, once you hit June 1st.. up! up! up! go the prices.

Search this Thread