Kenya

Search this Thread

Old May 28th, 2007, 03:11 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kenya

We're planning a big trip next year, something we're going to book now and be able to put money away for every month. Hubby wants to go to Kenya. I'm not convinced. Any wise words or recommendations? Thanks.
Old May 28th, 2007, 05:45 PM

Either Kenya or Tanzania would be a great destination. What are your concerns?
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:27 PM

Depending on when you are going, the migration of wildebeest and zebra will either be stronger in the Serengeti in Tanzania or the Maasai Mara of Kenya. That could be a factor.

See this chart of the best months for wildlife viewing in different parks. Best correlates closely with highest cost.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

You can even combine both places with sufficient time.

I agree with ShayTay. Either is good.
Old May 28th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Weelynnie,

Africa is absolutely magical! I went to Kenya and Tanzania in 2003, loved every single moment and did not want to leave. The landscapes, the wildlife, and the people get in your blood. I have also been to South Africa, and while different than East Africa, it is equally as fantastic. If I had to choose a favorite, I would probably have a difficult time doing so. This year I'm going to Botswana and Namibia. I've wanted to go to Botswana since I was in Kenya in 2003.

An African safari should be at the top of everyone's vacation list. Most people go for "the once in a lifetime trip" then get hooked, and go back. Some go back to the same countries, others expand to various parts of the continent. Some even go back numerous times to the same camps, over and over. That is how special it is.

Everyone I know that has been on safari in Africa has found it one of the most memorable experiences of a lifetime.

Are you unsure of a trip to Africa, a safari, or Kenya as the specific destination within Africa? If you give us some more specific information we can offer advice. People on this forum are very helpful, and extremely knowledgeable. Tell us why your husband choice Kenya, and why you're not convinced.
Old May 28th, 2007, 11:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. To be honest, it's somewhere I hadn't previously considered, and was unsure what the hospitality/comfort factor would be. I wasn't sure also whether I would wish to spend a whole month (the time we're allocating)in Africa. Much as I would love safari and sightseeing I also enjoy relaxing on beaches and was initially planning on Brazil for this tour. I have reconsidered much to hubby's relief and it looks like we may be booking Kenya some time this week. Many thanks to all who replied
Old May 29th, 2007, 10:12 AM

as you have a year to plan, why not search this forum for posts about kenya' beaches?
there are many beach resorts including comfortable tourist hotels and facilities.
kenya is quite modern these days.

kerikeri
Old May 29th, 2007, 07:56 PM

Before you book, why don't you post the itinerary for comments and take advantage of Fodorites who love Africa.

Old May 31st, 2007, 04:03 AM

We werent sure a trip to kenya/Tanzania would be our favourite travel..........and we happily surprised how well planned and very comfortable Africa could be.

Our safari guide in all cases was like friend of the family.We turned to him for guidance and let him do his jobs, and he turned that trust with taking the best care of us he was trully excellent. He was very pleasant and extremely knowledgeble. We were constantly amazed by his ability to spot animals far away in the bush and his understanding of their movements and habits.We are now certainly aware of how a good guide is. We saw Cape Buffalo,impala,20-foot crocodiles,giraffes and zebras,scampering baboons,lions,warthog and many more.

We loved our accomodation.....from the spectacular setting of the hotels,to the great food and the friendly and professional staff.The highlights were the serengeti plains,the lodge at the Ngorongoro Crater and the wonderful old Emerson & Green hotel in Stonetown, Zanzibar.

The bush dinner in the masai Mara is what was best for us.

Everything went like a dream from the moment we arrived until our return.It was very short holiday that made my family fall in love with Africa. Thanks to Skyview of Africa Ltd.