basecamp explorer vs. kicheche

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12th, 2007, 11:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be visiting the coast in nov. as our daughter is doing a semester abroad in the mombasa region. We would like to take her and a friend to the mara. Location and game, knowledgeable staff, and good food are more important to us than butlers and crystal. looking at mid-range since money is a factor. any thoughts...basecamp explorer, kicheche, ilkeliani?
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 12:28 PM

In November, prices for all these camps will be lower; all would fit into the category you're seeking. My choices would be Kicheche or Ileliani. But do verify these camps are actually open... a number of camps close during November - the "short" rain period.

Old Aug 12th, 2007, 02:45 PM

I've stayed at both Kicheche and Ilkeliani in November and while I thought Kicheche was a great camp, we found the game viewing to be better in the reserve (but this could also be luck). If you're interested in walking safaris, this is probably better done at Kicheche than the others. Basecamp is right next to Ikeliani so location wise it's the same.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

are there any other camps you would recommend--and is there a reason you choose ilkeliani over basecamp? don't hold back--i haven't made reservations yet.
Old Aug 12th, 2007, 05:09 PM

I can't remember the exact reason I chose Ilkeliani over Basecamp but we did stop at Basecamp for a visit during our stay. I really liked the layout of that camp and their new (at the time) tents. Can't comment on food or staff obviously because we didn't stay, but I'd have no problems staying there. Another camp you might want to look into Olonana which is a very expensive camp in season but reduce their prices significantly off season. It's probably still more than the other 3 but worth checking out as I think it's a good value off season.