Bostwana Camp In Late October/Early November 2006

Oct 4th, 2006, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

Bostwana Camp In Late October/Early November 2006

Very impressed with the generosity of time and spirit on this board - potentially testing patience with another Botswana itinerary question - but would be great to another perspective -

Last minute trip - first time on safari - prioritizing seeing predators - but very happy with a mix

Choice -
1.) Option A - Chitabe (X3) and Sauvuti(X2)(Wilderness - Nov 3-8, 2006)

2.) Option B - Xigera (X3) and Mombo (X2) (Wilderness - Oct 28 - Nov 2, 2006)

Have heard not greatest time of year to be in Linyanti - but unclear - Option B is significantly more expensive - so wanted to get perspective on the value there

Thanks for any and all thoughts...
Cheers...
Oct 4th, 2006, 11:30 AM

Hello,

At the beginning of November the Linyanti should be excellent -- the animals scatter when the rains come but that won't be until mid-November.

As for your itineraries...wow, that's a tough choice. If it wasn't for Mombo, I'd go with Option A hands-down. You should have great predator sightings at Chitabe and Savuti.

Xigera is really a water camp, and lovely for experiencing the Delta but not ideal for predator viewing. Mombo, on the other hand, is the creme de la creme, with superlative predator viewing.

The best of all worlds would be Option C: Mombo plus either a Linyanti camp or a more land-based Delta camp. This is what I'd go for. See if your agent can find space at another camp, ideally one of the following: Chitabe, Duba Plains, Duma Tau, Savuti, King's Pool, Selinda, or Zibalianja. Any of these + Mombo would be a superb predator-viewing combination.

If none of the above are available, other good options would be Little Vumbura or Tubu Tree.

I know availability is very tight right now -- good luck!

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 4th, 2006, 07:03 PM
santharamhari

There are actually availabilities still for these camps?

I'm not sure about Xigera and predators, but, the rest of them should be good predator viewing....just 5 days in total?

Hari

Oct 4th, 2006, 07:05 PM
santharamhari

Btw, Julian....there was a post last week saying that Maun got their first rains already. I dont know about rains in the delta or linyanti....

Hari

Oct 4th, 2006, 08:28 PM

I saw a pair of (quite shy) male lions at Xigera, and we were told a leopard was a regular user of the boardwalk across the stream in front of camp. But yes, not a big predator locale...pretty good for elephants, hippos, crocs and lechwe though, not to mention birdlife.

John
Oct 5th, 2006, 07:58 AM

Hello,

Hari has a good point - I had assumed you were working with a limited time-frame due to the last minute nature of the trip, but if you could go for a longer period of time I'd recommend spending at least 9-10 days (three camps at three days each is a very introduction to Botswana).

You could then do the following, which would make a great predator-viewing trip:

Mombo x2
Chitabe x3
Savuti x2

One more night at Savuti would be great if you could get it.

Cheers,
Julian
Oct 11th, 2006, 08:06 PM
Original Poster

Thank you - much appreciated - (note - there is some availability - but not a whole lot in this period). Based on the feedback - ended up with Little Vumbura (3) and Mombo (2) - a modified Option C - thanks for the thoughtful responses - much appreciated
Oct 11th, 2006, 08:12 PM
santharamhari

Have fun....pl.post a trip report for us on return. Thanks in advance.

Hari

Oct 11th, 2006, 08:16 PM

That's interesting you were able to book Mombo at such short notice. I read here you need to book a year in advance (is this because of the time of year?)

Have a great time!