Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Back to Botswana again - Photos

At last the photos are ready thanks to my son at the following location:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLan...localeid=en_US

Jan.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:47 AM

Lots of beautiful shots, Jan.
Love your Zebra and cheetah shots - I couldn't get any good ones on my trip.
Thanks for posting.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 01:35 PM

Some of the best zebra shots I have seen. Thanks
Ted
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 02:28 PM

Those zebra shots really are standouts, but so are your other drinking species. Thanks for sharing this great collection.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 05:41 PM

Thanks a lot, Jan. I recognize several of the all-star cast in your gallery. Also good to know that Spencer found you the two male cheetah coalition. He thinks that they are due to take on the Three male coalition at some point as their territory seems to overlap a little.........
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 06:42 PM

Lot of nice shots, thanks. You have a good eye for presenting your subject. Out of curiosity, what camera did you use? (I know it wasn't a Canon or Nikon DSLR because the image format is 4x3).

regards - tom
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:16 PM

Hi Jan

Firstly, congrats on your great photos and for looking so good for your age!

Thanks also to your son!

The photos were great. I especially loved the African Rock Python, the Ground Hornbills with the snake, the hyenas, the beautiful Sable(?) antelope and yes, the zebra photos are also wonderful. You just can't take a bad photo of a zebra but I really loved the swimming zebra. I have also never seen a sitting saddle-billed stork.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 07:29 PM

Fantastic! Thanks for sharing.
Old Dec 3rd, 2008, 08:45 PM

Wow! Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos! You did a great job! Question: Were you really close or did you use a long lens? If so, how long was it? In fact, I would love to know all of the lenses you took, and anything else you could share. I am going in May, and the info would help me to be better prepared. Again, thanks so much!
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Thankyou for all your kind comments. The Savuti Channel is a great place at the moment to get wonderful reflections.
Hari,
Yes I opened the gallery with your cheetah, and of course she is also the one with the impala kill. I had never before seen a baby dragged out from it's mother like that. It wasn't very pleasant viewing. The next morning allthere was to be seen was blood stained grass. Spencer took us down to the Selinda border to find the two cheetah boys. I did of course see the original three brothers at Savuti.
Tom and Karn,
My camera is the Panasonic DCM- FZ 18. I'm afraid I just use the point and shoot;[Intelligent Auto Mode], which I am happy with. I also have alens adaptor, but I don't often use it. The eagle by the water taken from the cliff hide at Meno a Kwena is one example.

Kaye,
YOu are very flattering! But we girls have to do our best, Don't we?
My friend Mary gave the game away, so I just went along with it.

I too had never seen a sitting saddle billed stork before.

Jan
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 08:06 AM

Thanks, Jan. No cheetah can match those ORINGINAL THREE or even the TWO after the snake bit victim.

Regards
Hari
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 07:04 PM

Great pictures. i also loved the Zebra shots, and the Cheetahs, and the owl, cranes...
I am going in May. where are these Cheetahs you all seem to know??
Old Dec 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM

amycyma,

The cheetahs in Jan's gallery can be anywhere in the Linyanti area. But, most likely at Kwando or Selinda. I'm sure there are other ones in Duma Tau.
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 02:46 PM

I really really want to see Cheetahs. I just changed from Selinda to Savuti camp because I was interested in the hide they have at Savuti. I am travelling at the end of May. According to my TO, I can switch around my camps -pending availability- up to 90 days before my trip.
What to do what to do???
But thanks for the info HariS
Old Dec 5th, 2008, 06:51 PM

lovely pics, thanks so much for sharing. looks like a wonderful trip!
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

amycyma,

Hari is right. I also saw the remaining cheetah of the famous three brothers at Savuti in October.
You can never be sure of seeing any animal, especially when you book camps months in advance. There was a wild dog den at Savuti in July and August-- I was booked in for October, but when I got there they had moved on. Fortunally I had been at Kwando Lebala on my first stop, and Spencer had taken my friend Mary and I up to Lagoon camp and we saw wild doga and puppies there.
I have seen cheetahs at camps all over Botswana, but you where the'll be when you book. But Hari will agree with me that The Kwando camps give you the best chance.
I have been travelling to southern and eastern Africa since 1974 and have seen many wonderful things, but am still experiencing sights That I have never seen before.
So all I can say is enjoy your trip and just build up your sightings and be pleased and thankful for all you see.

Jan
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 04:59 AM

Hi Jan,

On the subject of cheetah, I remember your mention of being at Little Kwara recently, did you see the 3 brothers that are sighted on their concession?

They are not quite the "blood brothers" ex-coalition of the Linyanti, but, they are certainly more photogenic/action-packed than any of the current coalitions out in the Linyanti. Although, I'm sure those cheetahs will eventually relax .........
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Hallo Hari,
I was at Little Kwara in March,but did not see any cheetahs. The weather was horrible when I was there and I got soaked on most game drives. The viewing was poor, but of course that happens sometimes. I was only there for two nights which I never have done before. It was due to B.A. plane supposidly booked out. My time at Lebala in October was a much happier experience. I am of course not blaming the staff who were great.

Jan
Old Dec 6th, 2008, 06:10 PM

Hi Jan,

True. Lebala this October was very good..... sorry that you had awful weather while at Kwara. I've always had some very good Lion viewing there.