Appropriate clothing for women

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28th, 2010, 03:22 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be traveling in Morocco in April -- Fes, Merzouga, Skoura, Essaouira and Marrakech. I am not given to wearing scanty or revealing clothing anywhere. However, when I travel and it is warm, I like to wear a camisole with a short-sleeved shirt over it. Is thing sort of thing considered too immodest in Morocco generally?

Thank you for your thoughts and experience
Old Feb 28th, 2010, 10:40 PM

Hy,
Just wear normally as you used to do everyday, it is preferable to wear jeans and pullover when visiting monuments or making shopping in old medina.
Be sure that women in Morocco have the choice to wear every sort of clothes, you may find one wearing a djellaba witch is a traditionnal Moroccan women clothes and a young girl wearing jeans with a short top!!!
The only thing to avoid is responding young people when talking to you, they have the inhabitude to do that, but if you answer they will talk more so pls make as you did not understand the language!!!!
Other thing don't go out with beach wear and in the beach don't wear a brazilien or a string bikini but normal one is ok.
Have a nice trip
Old Mar 1st, 2010, 08:40 PM
jgg

Yes, that should be fine to wear. We were there in 2007 and I would just suggest not wearing anything too low or tight and not wearing short shorts. Longer shorts like bermudas I find - I wore them.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 05:54 AM

jgg -- what did you guys wear on your camel trek into the desert? I'm trying to imagine what would be most comfortable. I read somewhere that men shouldn't wear boxers that day, haha.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 11:37 AM
jgg

LOL!! Leslie - I'm pretty sure you've read my trip report and there are links to pictures so you can actually see what we were wearing!! (http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...s-tangines.cfm). We were there in late march and we didn't leave until 5pm so it wasn't really hot yet. Kids and I wore jeans and just a lightweight jacket or fleece and tennis shoes. I see my hubby was wearing more lightweight traveler's pants and sandals that stayed on his feet (ie not flip flops). At night we just each brought a pair of sweat pants to put on.
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 07:00 PM
Original Poster

Thanks to all of you. And Leslie, I also needed the same info for the camel trek, so that question was a help. I will be taking a relatively small suitcase and wouldn't probably take jeans except that jeans really do sound like the most sensible thing for the camel ride. I also did not plan to take tennies. Jgg how did your husband get along with the sandals? I have some I am fond of which have a sturdy back heel strap. Did it seem that you were better off than he with tennis shoes in the sand?
Old Mar 2nd, 2010, 10:11 PM
jgg

Well, they weren't actually tennis shoes - more of a slim profile tennie like a diesel. Husband had no problem with the sandals - I mean your walking in the sand so think the beach!! But it was just too cold for me to wear sandals - and the only sandals I had brought were a Dansko without a back so that wouldn't have worked. We didn't do too much walking in the sand - just right around the camp and then the next morning we walked a little ways to get a great sunrise view, but I didn't have any problem walking in the sand. I think the biggest concern is making sure you have something that will stay on your feet when on the camel.
Old Mar 3rd, 2010, 04:20 AM

jgg - I checked out the pix again - very helpful to see what you guys had on, thanks. I didn't remember there being so many shots of the desert back when you first did your trip report. Looks like you were having a blast - I'm really psyched now!

I guess in mid-May it will be warmer but still cool at night in the tent. Sweats sounds like a good idea - I don't think I would've thought to bring any.

Thanks again!
Old Mar 9th, 2010, 05:25 AM

I just returned a few days a trip to Morocco
we wore loose fitting tops/jumpers always with a sleeve and avoided tight jeans.
Bearing in mind most of the women wear clothes that hide the female form. Even most of the men wear long pants in fact I don't recall seeing a man in shorts.
Sensible shoes are a good idea as it can be quite dusty and uneven ground when you are doing alot of walking much easier and safer.
Enjoy
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 07:37 AM

Got back on Friday from a few days in Marrakech where it was hot. I would be happy to go back there tomorrow with sleeveless, but not strappy, tops and knee length skirts. And a cardigan for some evenings. I only wore thong sandals and did loads of walking.

Plenty of guys in shorts and a shirt.

Overall, yes, tourists were more covered up than you would normally see in a hot destination. But no-one seemed to bat an eyelid if you had less on.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 09:10 AM

Thanks smartidea & CarrieAnne40 for the input on the clothes. I guess in Marrakesh things are a bit looser since there's more of a tourist presence. Maybe in other remote areas covering up a bit more is a good idea.
Old Mar 28th, 2010, 08:47 PM

What a find...a thread about what to wear! I've been packing and unpacking for 3 days...we leave Tuesday. My niece has been to Morocco 3 times and advised that in the medinas, women should wear longish skirts or un-tight pants, and that upper arms should be covered, necklines modest. I did pack some short sleeves, but usually wear a loose "sunshirt" to protect from hot sun anyway. Also, I've packed a very light, open weave shawl to just wrap around my shoulders and upper arms when the situation dictates.
I'm only bringing 2 pair of pants...easy dry nylon and light cotton. Hope this is adequate. I am very comfy traveling in skirts, so have 4. Who knows what I'll change tomorrow! You men have it so easy...took my husband about 2 hours to pack, start to finish. Unfair!

I gather that people DO wear just about anything, but it is considered disrespectful to be rather bare. When in Rome....

I've stressed over how much warm stuff I'll need for nights. I'm a cold person, and the low's are still down there, even with the 80's high. We do tend to be up and out early, before it would warm. I have a warm hoodie sweater and a light fleece jacket, and a rain/wind jacket. Too much? I see that rain is still in the forcast for Fes.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 05:19 AM

I took a fleece but didn't need it even for our 05.30 start when we went ballooning so were outside from then on.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 09:44 AM

CarrieAnn- can you give me a general idea of how dressy I'd need to be in a more upscale restaurant? I'm starting to worry that I'm thinking of this as a totally casual trip - I'm envisioning jeans or capri length khakis all the time. But we're staying in really nice riads and will be eating some dinners there so I guess I need to look a little better for dinner.

makinghay - good luck finishing your packing by Tuesday - that is the only part of travel I HATE. Have never been able to pack lightly no matter how hard I try to edit myself.
Old Mar 29th, 2010, 10:11 AM

I just wore a nicer t shirt, a pretty longish skirt, thong sandals and took a cardigan which I sometimes wore when we ate out

If I was eating in the real upscale restaurants in the evening - La Mamounia, Jardins de Koutoubia etc - I would dress up properly though I haven't been there so I don't know what people were actually wearing.

We ate at the La Mamounia poolside buffet one lunchtime and I was fine in the above. Some women were flashing their jewels around and fairly dressed up but by and large it was very much smart casual. My husband was appropriately dressed in grey chinos (long trousers, btw, or they won't let him in!) and a white linen shirt with the sleeves rolled up.
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 01:25 AM

My wife has just asked about wearing dresses to dinner at nicer restaurants. Above or below the knee ?? (just my opinion but she has good pins !!)
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 09:41 AM

Thanks CarrieAnn - we won't be at La Mamounia level places so I won't need jewels or stilettos, I hope! I guess I'll bring one skirt and recycle it. But I would not have even thought to bring that so I'm glad for your advice.

Did your husband wear sandals at all or only closed shoes?
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 12:40 PM

Marko - she couldn't go wrong with below the knee. I can't see why a bit above the knee would be a problem but I didn't notice any short or mini skirts. The real issue is whether she would feel comfortable outside in a shorter skirt getting to and from the restaurants not really in the restaurant and that is something she would have to have a feel for. I only took longer skirts - just to be safe as I really didn't know either- so can't really speak from experience.

Leslie_S - closed shoes!! Thank goodness!! But plenty of men were in sandals wandering around tho I can't say I noticed what they were wearing in restaurants.

Tho most tourists were trying to dress appropriately there were a very few women in little shorts, and strappy tops and with plunging cleavages. So there is likely to be someone somewhere way more extreme than you!!
Old Mar 30th, 2010, 03:32 PM

Thank you
Old Mar 31st, 2010, 06:46 AM

Thanks from me, too.
It is amazing what you see...women in high-heels walking around the pyramids in Egypt has been my favorite so far.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -