Anyone booked flight yet for Summer 2010????

Feb 20th, 2010, 08:10 PM
Original Poster

Anyone booked flight yet for Summer 2010????

We have a deposit on a private trip to Tanzania in August with Good Earth Tours. I have been checking every day and have been for months and the price today is $3,600 from Los Angeles to Kilimanjaro. The lowest it has been is $3,100. I am getting concerned that the price will not drop. Any one have any suggestions or feedback about flights and if and when there might be lower fares. Last summer we flew from LAX to Entebbe for $2,100 and I thought that was a lot. I don't want to cancel the trip but I can't see paying that kind of airfare especially for coach.
Feb 20th, 2010, 11:26 PM

Tried www.kayak.com ?
I did LAX-JRO and for first of Aug, 8/2 and return 8/17, cost was $2,700 on KLM. And $2,300 for dates in last half of August (not KLM). You're welcome.

regards - tom
Feb 21st, 2010, 11:00 AM

Also checked kayak with slightly different dates (mid-week), and fare comes in short of $2,700.

KLM is the only airline besides Ethiopian Air (out of Dulles via Rome and Addis Ababa) that flies to JRO... so KLM has you!!!

Now if you can get a flight into NBO/Kenya for anywhere from $550+ (the cost of short-haul flight NBO/JRO) less than fare to JRO, then fly into NBO and do a road transfer to Arusha. Shuttle bus is 35/person (5-6/hrs) or private vehicle transfer (5/hrs) about $350+/vehicle. Return flight NBO/JRO/NBO runs about $550

The fare from the East Coast (JFK) is showing about $2,100. to JRO. If you can find a cheap price LAX/JFK or a Freq. Flyer award ticket... fly from New York.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 02:35 AM

I have booked KLM for Chicago to JRO for June 2010 - $2270. Booked about 2 months ago, after watching the price for about 2-3 months slowly inch up and up. Never saw it go down (I could have gotten it for around $2000 when I started watching). All sites (KLM, Kayak, Expedia etc) were the same price. I decided it wasn't likely to go down in price because June is the beginning of peak season.

One thing you could try is pricing the itinerary out from other US cities, such as Chicago, and if the price is better, see if you can get a reasonable priced ticket to that interim city.
Feb 22nd, 2010, 08:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I am going to keep watching. I would be happy with $2,200
Feb 22nd, 2010, 10:14 PM

Ouch...I better stick to my trips to TZ for feb then , I paid 1700 x2 for a trip earlier this month.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:05 PM
Original Poster

TigerPhotg- I am jealous, $1,700 seems like a bargain. Airfares have gotten so crazy and to think it is for coach. I can not even imagine how much it would cost to fly business class. I can only dream. I am going to keep watching. The flight that we really want is still over $3,000.00. I can only hope that things will drop eventually.
Feb 23rd, 2010, 09:35 PM

Everyone is having horrible airfare experiences this year. This doesn't directly apply, but I just thought it was very odd. I checked fares r/t from jfk and both buenos aires and sao paolo - both were over $900. Then I checked an open jaw and it was just over $600. A o/w flight between ba and sp was just under $100. It was just really surprising that the price was so much less. So I guess check every possibility out there! And why is it cheaper to fly to st Petersburg through Helsinki than to Helsinki on the same airline on the same day (same flight)?!! As you can see, I'm searching for a different vaca this year! Anyway - try everything. You might just get lucky.
Feb 24th, 2010, 11:20 AM

Look at flights from London. They always seem to be cheaper. Then you could go Calif ==> London London ==> Tans
Feb 24th, 2010, 02:43 PM

I was exasperated by what I found on sites so called a travel agent I trust
$1500 for Sept.
Virginia- NBO
I think sometimes they can dig deep and do combos that we cannot do online.
Paid her $25. Sent her more biz...

What would it be worth to you?
Was worth a ton to me,
FP
Feb 24th, 2010, 08:21 PM
Original Poster

Flowerpower- Would be open to giving me the name of the travel agent? I am willing to look at whatever options that might get us to Tanzania in August.

Thanks
Feb 24th, 2010, 10:12 PM

The shoulder season rates start in September, so you'll probably not find the deals in August that Flowerpower found. Some safari planning companies used to have special contracted rates for African travel, but the company I knew about closed down their air department this year because they couldn't beat the internet fares. What are the dates that you're flying? Perhaps we can all keep a lookout for good fares for you. Also, you can do a "fare watch" on Kayak. Unfortunately, you don't have many options to JRO.
Feb 25th, 2010, 02:54 AM

As ShayTay stated, Sept is not summer for airfare; afterall here in the states eveyone is back to school; and note I am flying to NBO; not JRO..I am sure any agent could check; this is very small one and I would be happy to give you her name if you give me your email. I am sure she would like the publicity but I would not feel comfortable putting it out there..

I booked this very early - last fall when I was planning my Sept. trip for migration. I find, though others may disagree, that after "spring break - March" fares drop. That has just been my experience in past years when looking for travel - but I usually travel shoulder season no matter where I go, so I get lucky.

If you post your travel dates as Shay suggested I'll check for you this end; and I am sure others will help out.
I just don't want her getting "shoppers" and then not booking; She knew I was serious as we've worked together in the past. These days it is difficult for travel agents competing with the internet as ShayTay mentioned, but I would be happy to check for you and if it works, I will get you two together.

FP
Feb 25th, 2010, 08:46 AM

lh, We are also in LA and have been watching prices for June or August. Have you booked yet? There are four of us and we're not willing/able to pay 10k+ to travel in coach. If you check Emirates, there are flights for around $1690 to NBO or DAR - maybe you could ask Good Earth about a Selous or Mara trip. We are considering this option (actually, I am - the rest of the family is not keen on a 24+ hr flight in coach, then getting up early every day in the cold and bouncing around on dusty roads...having trouble selling them on the whole safari concept, partly because of the airfare issue).
Feb 28th, 2010, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for much for all the suggestions. I am feeling very discouraged and I am not sure if this trip is going to be able to happen this summer. Does anyone know if you postpone your travel dates if you lose your deposit? I would hate to just lose $1,500. The dates that we are scheduled are leaving Los Angeles on Sunday, August 1st and leaving Tanzania on Saturday, August, 14th. We are scheduled to arrive Monday night into JRO and depart on Saturday night and arrive back in Los Angeles on Sunday August 15th. Any help would be greatly appreciated. We have a great trip planned but maybe we need to look at some other options. The return that we want on KLM is $2,100 for just the return flight. The other option would be a lot cheaper but the flight has two long layovers and arrives at LAX at 11:00 pm on Sunday night. I think the total time is something like 33 hours. I have to be at work on Monday and I think that would be a little crazy.
Feb 28th, 2010, 06:51 PM

We are traveling end June returning mid July from the U.S for a Kenya/Tanzania safari. I managed to get a $1425 fare on Egypt Air for us (JFK/NBO/CAI/JFK) and we changed our itinerary on the back end to spend two days in Cairo to see the pyramids.
Feb 28th, 2010, 09:04 PM
Original Poster

I have spent hours this evening looking at so much different flights. The problems seems to be the flying into Kilimanjaro. KLM seems to be the only airline and they are very few flights this year, hence the outrageous costs. I checked Emirates where the cost is much better but then we have to also fly from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro and that flight is $400 each way for a one hour flight. Also the layover on the return is 7 hours at the Nairobi airport and an overnight in Dubai on the flight there. I did check and it we went at the beginning of September the flight on Emirates is only $1,500 per person. The problem is that we are would have to completely redone our trip as we are supposed to be in Sayari in the middle of August. I am not even sure if Good Earth will allow us to change our dates. Does any have experience with them if you need to postpone or change your trip?
Mar 1st, 2010, 07:07 AM

The roundtrip fare from Nairobi to JRO and back is only showing as $400 total, not each way (Precision Air, a partner of Kenya Airways.) You might just go into Nairobi a couple of days early, do a little sightseeing there and get over your jet-lag, then fly on to JRO. Yes, it adds to the overall cost, but it's making "lemonade out of lemons." Brussels Airlines had been making noise that they would start flying into JRO, but nothing has come of it... yet. If Tanzania wants to expand their tourism industry, they are going to have to deal with the issue of air access into JRO.
Mar 1st, 2010, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

The saga continues. I did speak to both KLM and Emirates this morning. Emirates was very helpful and flies into Dar Es Saaleem. The problem is getting a flight in the afternoon on August 2nd from Dar to Arusha. Unfortunately we do not have extra days to add to the trip so I am working with a two week time frame. I did check and the flights drop considerably on August 31st on Emirates. I would love feedback on our itinerary if we went at the end of August instead of the beginning of August. The original itinerary starts in Tarangire, Manyara, Ngorongoro, Central Serengeti and the the far north at Sayari. Do you think that are timing will be wrong if we want to try to see the migration. Are camps are Oliver's, Gibbs Farm, Lemala, the new camp in the Central near where Olakira was and Sayari. Are imput would be greatly appreciated. I am not sure what way to go.
Mar 1st, 2010, 07:55 PM

It doesn't look like it will improve. One of the runways at JFK will be closed from today for (at least) four months. They are saying it will cause delays and higher costs internationally as it is a major hub. They cannot increase capacity as they usually do in the summer and any small delay will become major delays easily - even if the flights don't involve JFK. Yeah!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO