Anyone been to Botswana in Dec/Jan?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We're about to book a trip with Wilderness Safaris to Botswana over Christmas and New Years. I'm concerned about the weather and conditions because i've read it's rainy and the grass is high, which makes game viewing difficult. The price is right since it's low season, but i'm wondering if we'll have a better experience in East Africa during that time. Can anyone offer advice?

Also, our travel planner proposes the following

2 nights Victoria Falls
3 nights Linyanti/Savuti Channel area
3 nights Okavango Delta
2 nights Moremi
3 nights Okavango Delta

I'm a bit concerned that 6 nights in the Okavango Delta might be too much. He has proposed Duba Camp and Kwetsani Camp respectively for the Delta. Can anyone comment on this? We were thinking if the 2 camps are similar, that we could cut 3 nights out and visit Cape Town instead. If so, which should we cut?

Thanks for anyone who can help.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 10:55 AM

Duba will give you game drive experience and this is (hopefully) when you'll get great viewing of the cats, elephants and other larger animals.

I believe that Kwetsani is a water camp and is therefore a very different experience. Viewing the delta from a seat inside a mokoro (canoe) being poled along by an experienced guide gives you a completely different perspective on the Delta.

Moremi is also in the Okavango Delta though so it looks like 8 nights to me?
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 12:41 PM
Original Poster

Kavey,

Moremi is also in Okavango? I was not aware of that. Hm. Perhaps we should cut Kwetsani then as he's holding a space for us at Mombo and we don't want to miss that. We're not as keen on the mokoro aspect of the delta simply because we spent quite a bit of time in a dugout canoe on the Amazon recently. Would you suggest we cut 3-4 days out and replace it with a trip to the Kalahari and/or Cape Town instead? Thanks!
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:01 PM

If you're not into the idea of mokoro you can either go out in the little flat aluminium power boat things or choose a different camp.

You could opt for somewhere like Savuti in the Linyanti or perhaps somewhere like Jack's in the Kalahari - both of which we're combining with our return trip to Mombo.

You can see my itinerary on one of my recent threads asking for ideas for a 5-6 week trip.

Sorry I don't know about weather as we go in June.
Old Aug 14th, 2003, 01:02 PM

PS On the WS website, go to our camps, Botswana and Okavango and choose the MAP option - shows you where everything is in relation to Mombo etc.

PPS Jack's Camp is not WS but they will still arrange it for you.