Search

Any Flora Experts Here?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2008, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Flora Experts Here?

Does anyone here know the true genus of the Leopard Orchid? Someone I know brought back a seed pod from Africa, germinated the seeds in a lab and now has about 40 flasks of these orchids growing. Looking on the internet, the genus of the Leopard Orchid has differing opinions on the genus and this person would like to know the correct genus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 24th, 2008, 10:43 PM

Hi Dennis

Not an expert by any means, but have a book out of the library at the moment by someone who is.

For Leopard Orchid I have from the book - Orchidaceae - Ansellia - small genus from Africa - two species and a handful of varieties. The flower pictured is a Ansellia argentea which looks like the Leopard Orchid I see growing in the wild in the Sabi Sands.

There is another orchid called the Leopard Orchid, but this is a native of tropical America - Orchidaceae - Stanhopea. These flowers grow below the plant, not above the plant.

If this person got the seed from Africa, has to be the first one, though could well be a different variety.

Kind regards

Kaye
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 09:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Kaye! I'll pass on the information. Should be interesting when they bloom in a year or so.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:11 AM

Dennis, is that one of the Big Five orchids?

Quick question on Hawaii -- I have a six-hour layover in December while returning from Manila/Guam via Honolulu. I did that once before, but that was in 1997, when security was quicker; do you think I can escape the airport and make it into town for a quick dinner?
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 10:23 AM
Original Poster

Michael~Yes it's one of the Big 5.

WIth 6 hours you will have time to go into town for dinner. Allow about 1.5-2 hours to play it safe through security. Even at it's busiest I haven't spent more than 30 minutes in line-usually through in 10 but you never know. Too bad you aren't passing through Hilo or we could meet for dinner!
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 05:45 PM

Ansellia Africana.
Old Apr 25th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Original Poster

Thanks mkhonzo.
Kaye, the seed pod did come from somewhere in the Sabi Sands near MM.
Old Apr 27th, 2008, 02:47 PM

matnikstym,

I believe that this url http://www.plantzafrica.com/plantab/ansellafric.htm is the same orchid that you are looking for information on.

Your friend has an immense amount of patience to grow orchids from seed. I thought about it and then decided to go stand in a corner until that thought passed. ;-)

When we were living in Thailand, I became enthralled with orchids and I grew a southeast Asian variety of this orchid.

Before I left Thailand I had 35 different orchids hanging from my arbor. Hey, at $1 - $5 per plant??

I belong to the local orchid society. I'm down to just four orchids now, common garden variety, as we travel a lot and it is difficult to get someone to water them; therefore if they die "oh well".

Hope this helps.

Old Apr 27th, 2008, 06:41 PM
Original Poster

Thanks llorear-the spotted yellow one is the plant the seed pod came from.

Yes my friend has patience and has many crosses registered with the Orchid Registrar. Can't wait to see this one bloom in 4-5 years. Don't think anyone else in Hawaii has this species.