Any experience with TATO tour operators - DeTaSa

Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any experience with TATO tour operators - DeTaSa

Hi, all,
Am new here, been reading up on all great information that is already present here, thx !

Wanted to go to Tanzania early next year Jan-Apr (8-12 days), wondering if anyone has previous experiences with TATO operator "Destination Tanzania Safari" company. Couldn't find many reviews/feedbacks about them.

If you can suggest any other local (Tanzania based TO that do private safaris), please let me know.
Any/all help is appreciated.

Thanks
Kenny.
Old Jul 21st, 2009, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

The US based operators appear to be very costly compared to local/Tanzania based operators, so am only looking for pointers for local/Tanzania based operators that you have used in the past. Thanks !
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 07:40 AM

I've used Kibo Guides several times with good results. You might also check out the East Africa trip report index and see the other outfitters that have been used by other Fodorites. I've been to Tanzania in February, which is normally between the short and long rains. Once you're into late March and April, there's a possibility that the long rains will have started... not a great time to be out on safari.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 09:11 AM

Here's the index http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...port-index.cfm
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 11:19 AM

The long-rains are usually Apr & May, but can start as early as mid-Mar. That's not to say it will rain, or that it doesn't rain other times of the year... even during the so-called "dry season."

While the "long-rains" are the low season, with lowest prices, there are also usually less visitors/vehicles, but everything is beautifully green. And, it's rare to rain all day, rather brief thunderstorms or showers, or overnight. The roads can get muddy, but that's part of the experience; doesn't inhibit safari. The game don't go on vacation... they're still around waiting for you to take their pictures and watch their antics.

During the safaris I've been on during the wet seasons, I've only encountered wet 3/times... no big deal.

Tanzania is ideal Jan, Feb, early-Mar when the wildebeests are in the Southeast Serengeti and/or Ndutu area where they "calve" their young.

Check the link Patty provided for information regarding safari providers.
Old Jul 22nd, 2009, 01:56 PM

As Patty and Sandi and Shay Tay have suggested, there are many good companies mentioned in the index. Sorry it's a little behind, I am catching up slowly on updating the index, hopefully over the winter I will catch up completely.

We just returned last month from a safari in Kenya and Tanzania. It was all arranged by a local company in Kenya, but the TZ portion was sublet to Warrior Trails, which is owned by a local Tanzanian, Clamian. He was originally a driver for the one of the other companies, but went out on his own.

We were extremely happy with Warrior Trails, their vehicle was comfortable, top notch & the driver we had, Jackson, was very knowledgable and we really liked him. I wouldn't hesitate to recomend Warrior Trails to you in your search.
Old Jul 23rd, 2009, 11:20 AM
Original Poster

Thx a lot for all the helpful replies, sincerely appreciate the help !

I've chalked up an itinierary for feb 2010 that looks like this. Pls let me know if it sounds good.I've chosen the hotels based on reviews here and other sites...like the ndutu lodge and ngorongoro sopa instead of the serena...

Here's what I am planning for Feb 2010:

8 day, private tour:

1 JRO, KIA lodge
2 Tarangire (overnight)
3. Drive through NCA, olduvai gorge to south serengeti, ndutu lodge
4. Ndutu Lake and other areas, ndutu lodge
5. Gol Kopjes and other eastern, Sarina lodge
6. Seronera, Central Serengeti, Sarina lodge
7. Drive to Ngorongoro, afternoon tour, sopa
8. Morning Ngorongoro, back to Arusha...fly back home.