Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any experience with Smithsonian safaris?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 7th, 2007, 07:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,
Has anyone been on a Smithsonian safari? They are offering one limited to Tanzania in late Jan. -early Feb. Itinerary includes Arusa Nat'l Park, Tarngiri Nat'l Park, Ngorongoro Crater, Serengeti Nat'l Park and Lake Manyara Nat'l Park. Thanks for any info.

Judy
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 04:12 AM

Smithsonian runs some very interesting itineraries, at a price. As with some of the other well known safari operators - A&K, Micato, Tauck - the Smithsonian price is high (pays for the Tour Director to travel with you... which really isn't necessary). And the itinerary isn't ideal, nor do they stay at the best accommodatons for the price.

In January they are spending 2/nts at Tarangire, which park isn't at optimum during this very dry season, very dusty and hot. January is "summer" in East Africa.

Then you have 3/nts at Ngorongoro Crater, where most visitors stay 2/nts maximum.

Next stop is in the Ndutu area and they indicate accommodations at Ndutu Lodge. Since Ndutu Lodge is the only property here, and small, depending on size of the group, I have to wonder whether Smithsonian can even guarantee space here which is often sold-out a year in advance.

Finally, to Lake Manyara, a good stop, at which to conclude after having spent the first day after arrival at Arusha Natl Park.

You can plan an independent trip, following a similar route, choosing the lodges/camps you wish, with a private vehicle/guide at a savings (by 1/3 minimum) from what Smithsonian is asking. However, at this late date, space is limited everywhere on this northern circuit, so can't even say whether you could book the ideal Northern Tanzania itinerary.

In my estimation and for the price (almost $9,000/person, not including Intl air), it really isn't a good deal - where, for how long and accommodations.

If you really want a trip to East Africa and have flexible time, be able to plan more than 2/months in advance, you can do a search on this board (See: East African Index... with summary of many trip reports) of the various tour operators used by many who post here. You can design your own itinerary and do much better all-around.
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 06:50 AM
Original Poster

Sandi, Thanks for your insiteful and detailed response. I really appreciate the input.

Judy
Old Nov 8th, 2007, 03:19 PM

I actually think the extra night at the crater is a unique bonus feature of the trip. You have a choice of activities there, either hiking or another day of wildlife viewing in the crater. I like Sopa Lodge for its location with its own access road.

But I still think it is too expensive and has the other drawbacks mentioned. Manyara, rather than Tarangire, is where you would want to spend more of your time in January or February.

http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html

Ending in Manyara is unusual in an itinerary because it is anticlimatic.

Click on the perfect safari for Jan or Feb in the site below to compare itineraries.

http://kiliwarriors.com/

If you were interested in traveling this Jan/Feb, I would not delay. Places in the Southern Serengeti fill up fast, over 6 months in advance. But I would not choose this Smithsonian trip.
Old Nov 9th, 2007, 03:51 AM

The three days at Ngorongoro seem to include 1/day with visit to Empakaki Crater and Ol Donyo Lengai (doubt the latter as it's very active these days... many locals have left the area).

Appears the reason for Manyara last day is that this is a "drive-only" itinerary. Arusha/1, Tarangire/2, Ngorongoro/3, Serengeti/3, Manyara/1, Arusha. Not unusual routing if clients aren't, either, flying to farthest point, Serengeti, or from the Serengeti as the last area visited.

Even a Tauck tour has a flight from Serengeti, but they also visit Western area (Kirawira) year-round, even when the West isn't a good spot. Tauck too, is tres tres expensive, for a mostly Serena Lodge itinerary.

Judy - You can do better designing your own, but as Lynn mentions, if for February... time is running out.