Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any country close to SA that accepts pets in cabin?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 19th, 2008, 11:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,

I will be staying a considerable time in South Africa and would like to take my small (8-pound) dog. SA requires animals to fly as cargo, which is probably deadly.

Does anyone know of any country bordering SA that will accept small pets in the airplane cabin? We wouldln't mind driving a day or two.

Thanks for any info....
Candace Clark
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 05:52 AM
sniktawk

I doubt that any airline flying internationaly would consider a dog in the cabin. If you are serious about bringing a dog to SA why not contact a local shipper who will be able to tell you all of the rules and regulations, I would also ask how the dog can be brought back to wherever you come from.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:46 AM
pippa13

candace

generally speaking i don't think a pet will be accepted only for one reason on long-haul: they can hold their pee for up to 24 hrs but not necesseraly will do so.

what makes you think your dog will suffer during transportation? normally they get a tranquilizer which calmes them down for almost the whole flight.
i would ask a vet for advise.

i can completely comprehend how you must be feeling leaving your dog without your attendance with the carrier. but consider there are so many pets transported back and forth long-haul and if there is no desease which forbids leaving him for 10-14 hours all by himself i would with a heavy heart re-think whether to go for that option if he cannot be left behing with a relative or other turstworthy individual.

besides flying: have you checked with quarantine rules? as far as i know SA insists on a certain quarantine period.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 07:58 AM
sniktawk

The above is almost unbelievable.

It is forbidden to transport tranquilised animals on planes. Pets are transported in crates which contain the equivalent of "cat litter".

On a more serious note,pets can certainly be brought to SA from Europe, I know because we did this2 years ago, it is very expensive. There is no period of quarantine provided certain blood tests are passed, unbelievably there is a disease called Heart Worm which although rare in Europe is not present in South Africa

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:34 AM
pippa13

candace

it might be "unbelieveable" to somebody who's capacity in that regard is rather limited but

whenever i fly to spain incl. canary islands i flight sponsor cats and dogs for german recipients in order to safe them from being put down.
ALL the cats and dogs get a tranquilizer prior to check in according to a vet's prescription and advise.
i know exactly of what i am talking and i would never ever advise of anything which i don't know for certain.

i am sad that personal resentments caused by what ever reason leads to such rediculous misinformation.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:49 AM
pippa13

candice

because i don't know which country you are flying out from the following link might help and also proves snikthings general denial a lie.

of course nobody must know everything but then one just should remain quite or more casual: shut up.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:49 AM
pippa13

here comes the link:

http://www.globalpaws.co.za/quarantine.htm

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 08:51 AM

Whether it's forbidden or not, the AVMA recommends against tranquilizing animals for flights.

From United's website:
&quot;<i>The AVMA (American Veterinary Medical Association) and United do not advise sedation, because the effects of tranquilizers on animals at high altitudes are unpredictable.&quot;</i>
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 09:04 AM

From American Airlines:

<i>According to the American Veterinary Medical Association, in most cases cats and dogs should not be given sedatives or tranquilizers prior to flying. An animal's natural ability to balance and maintain equilibrium is altered under sedation, which can be dangerous when the kennel is moved.

Whether flying as a cabin or checked pet, animals are exposed to increased altitude pressures, which can create respiratory and cardiovascular problems for dogs and cats which are sedated or tranquilized. Brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs and snub-nosed cats are especially affected.
</i>
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 09:32 AM
pippa13

candace.

pls go to

http://www.lufthansa.com/online/port...&amp;cid=18002

if flying LH is an option: contact them!

regarding AA advise: it's interesting.
as posted before in europe that was never a question!

regarding heart problems caused by sedation:
especially cats suffer from stress when put in to a cage which might cause a heart problem; e.g. our three maine coon cats have got a mobile vet because we don't want them to suffer stress caused by transportation especially as a high percentage of cats suffers from an undiagnosed heart desease anyway: HCM.

whatever you choose: transportation might cause problems in any case.
it's a matter of appreciation of values.

Old Apr 20th, 2008, 09:15 PM

Candace-where are you flying from? Delta flies to South Africa by way of Dakar to J'Burg from Atlanta or you can fly from JFK to Capetown by way of Dakar.Each of those flights are about 8 hours flying time.

On a personal note-I have had cats and smaller dogs in the cabin on my flights of 10-almost 12 hours US/Rome.
Old Apr 20th, 2008, 11:28 PM

Air Canada, as well as most other airlines in Canada will no longer allow pets to fly in the cargo hold. A few years back, a family dog died of carbon monoxide poisoning in the hold, and the family sued Air Canada. (they didn't win the suit, but Air Canada decided not to take another chance with any other pets)

That one case alone certainly would encourage me to leave my pets at home.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:10 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice!

I should tell you all that I know that several international airlines accept small pets in the cabin. However, South Africa itself will not allow pets except in the cargo hold. And the country's rules trump the airline's rules.

(There is no quarantine in SA if the pet has a veterinarian's certificate of good health. Also, quarantine does not mean staying in a government facility but in the owner's house.)

I am wondering if anyone has any information on the cargo vs. cabin rules of Tanzania or Mozambique or any other country close to SA.

I will try to check out Lufthansa to see if they know these rules.

Thanks again,
Candace

PS: I will be flying from the US.
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 05:56 AM

'unbelievably there is a disease called Heart Worm which although rare in Europe is not present in South Africa'

'Is there anyway this poster can be stopped from posting misleading nonsense all over this forum.'

Check your facts. http://tinyurl.com/3mna5y

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 06:53 AM
sniktawk

I am so terribly sorry when we shipped our dogs two years ago (2005)there was no heart worm in South Africa, clearly this has changed. My point was that a blood test to prove that this infection was not present was all that was required rather than quarantine when importing a dog from most European countries.

You people are pathetic!!!

Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM
brw

Candace,

I didn't find anything about how to fly in your dog but I did find a site that might be helpful about what is necessary to bring a dog into any country, including returning to the States when you're ready to return. http://www.pettravel.com/passportnew.cfm has a lot of infomation and forms; keep in mind that if you don't fly directly into SA, you'll need to repeat the procedure for each country you'll be going through.

Good luck,

Bob
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 11:58 AM

Sniktawk and Pippa13,

Behave, make up and play nice!
Old Apr 21st, 2008, 10:24 PM
sniktawk

KTNS

I would love to but as you will see I offered initial advice to contact a local shipper.
I then commented on my own experience, and have been critised for that as well as it was apparently a year out of date.

Correction is all very well but it could be done in a reasonable manner,then of course I was censored.