Any comments on Flight?

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 10:20 AM
Original Poster

Any comments on Flight?

Thank you in advance for any replies.

Earlier this week I booked/paid for, via British Airways, my annual trek to Kenya Sept 2008.

Booked Phoenix-London-Nairobi and return in reverse.

Flight times I booked:
Lv Phx 7:30pm Arv London 1:00pm
Lv London 7:30pm Arv Nairobi 6:30am

I find out yesterday that BA cancelled their London evening flight (7:30pm) into Nairobi which I always take--bummer!

BA, has agreed to pay for my flight from Phoenix to Chicago-O'Hare (via American Airlines).

This is the flight that BA said I could take from Phoenix to Chicago then on to London:

LV PHX 925a ARV CHICAGO 2:45p
Lv Chicago 5:30p Arv London 7:10a
Lv London 10:20a Arv Nairobi 8:45p

I have never been to O'Hare and my question is - Is the above doable or would I be better taking, which BA did NOT offer:

LV PHX 7:55a ARV CHICAGO 1:10p
Lv Chicago 5:30p Arv London 7:10a
Lv London 10:20a Arv Nairobi 8:45p

Questions:

1) Can my bag be checked straight thru to Nairobi from Phoenix? Concern #1

2)At O'Hare do I have to travel from their Domestic terminal to their International terminal to catch the BA flight? Concern #2

If #2 is correct, then I think I have answered my own question and should opt for the earlier flight out of Phoenix.

I am also factoring in probable late departure from Phoenix which obviously makes me lean toward the earlier flight from Phoenix to O'Hare.

Just wanted to hear others options?

Thanks again!

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 12:24 PM

Yes, you would have to change terminals. Nearly 3 hours should be plenty of time, but I understand your desire to give yourself more time just in case.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 01:55 PM
P_M

Question #1: BA and AA are codeshare partners so yes you can check your bags through both ways. However on the trip home you must collect your bags in Chicago to go through customs, then re-check bags just past the customs area. This is really not bad, you will not wait in huge lines like you would at the main check-in counter. You simply give them your bag then jump on the monorail to the domestic terminal.
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 03:49 PM

Dana, did BA cancel the flight for just your time period, or have they changed it now to a morning flight everyday?

I liked that flight as BA from Vancouver gets into London everyday at 1 in the afternoon. Hopefully the flights still on as otherwise we will have to wait until the morning after to get to Nairobi which means $$$ for the hotel.

Old Nov 18th, 2007, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much for your comments!

Checking back thru from Phoenix- Nairobi will be great. Phx to Chicago will be one-way, so I'll check all the way thru Nairobi-Phx and will do Customs in Phoenix.

I have pretty much decided to take the early flight from Phx-Chicago and should have plenty of time changing terminals once I get there.

LyndaS - Hi there gt;) Not sure if all the BA flights from London-Nairobi have to leave on the 10:am only flight now. I just know that for my date Sept 9th that's the case. BA said, "well you can keep original flights and spend the night in London" and I said NO WAY - not at $300+. So we will be staying in Nairobi one night (alot cheaper) and fly out the next morning from Wilson to Kichwa. Are you going back next year?
Old Nov 18th, 2007, 07:32 PM

Thanks for the info, Dana, it sounds like it may just be the day you are going to Nairobi.

We can't go back in 2008 as my mom wants to see Alaska, (and we can't say anything but 'yes' to an 83 yr old!) but YES for 2009!! We will be going back for sure!

Old Nov 19th, 2007, 12:11 PM

You should have plenty of time to make the terminal changes in Chicago on your outgoing trip with either flight out of Phoenix. You might have to check in at the International terminal and you'll have to go through Security, but 3 hours is plenty of time. I did this in June with less time between flights. On your way back, you'll have to go through Immigration and Customs where you first land in the US, which appears to be Chicago, not Phoenix. This would be true, even if your bags are checked through to Phoenix.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM
Original Poster

Thanks ShayTay for your comments about O'Hare timing. Hope that gives me enough time to have a drink in the BA lounge ;>)...LOL!

All my flights were sorted out this morning and to add I even got my seats assigned for all the flights.

I am a happy camper now and all that's left to do if pay for my 'safari' and start the LONG countdown.

Lynda - I am sending you an email about your Alaska trip that you have planned.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 04:19 PM

Hello Dana.....I am a Phoenix-area resident also, and would love to meet with you or talk in real time about Kenya. I would appreciate it if you would e-mail me at marthagreen317 at cox dot net.

Thanks so much.
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:01 PM

Hey Dana,

When will you be in Kenya? I am in the process of re-booking our trip for Sept. 08 to both Kenya and Rwanda.

Jackie
Old Nov 19th, 2007, 05:25 PM

I'm glad to hear you've got it all worked out. I'll also be in Kenya in September. I arrive in Nairobi Sept. 7, then will probably head for Rwanda on the 20th. Maybe we can have a Fodorite GTG in Nairobi.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 08:13 AM
Original Poster

moremiles/ShayTay:

Here's my itinerary for Sept '08

Arrive Nairobi Sept 9th 8:45pm (spend night-either Holiday Inn or Fairview)

Depart Wilson Airport Sept 10th 10:00am to Masai Mara (Kichwa Tembo)

Depart Sept 24th Mara Safari Club

Depart Nairobi Sept 27th 11:30pm

Dang - that doesn't leave much time for a GTG unless it's for an early breakfast on Sept 10th?

I would LOVE to meet fellow Fodorites...maybe I'll start a new string for GTG Nairobi/Kichwa Tembo for that timeframe.
Old Nov 20th, 2007, 01:34 PM

Lynda,
The 3x weekly BA redeye from LHR to NBO doesn't appear to be in their schedule after March 2008.
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 08:51 AM

Got your email, Dana and will reply tonight - you gave me some VERY valuable info it, will explain tonight!

Dana is the Mara Safari Club the one that was recently taken over by Fairmont?

Patty - I thought that flight was every night prior, I guess I must have just hit it at the times that I needed it over the last two years! Any idea what time the new daily flight for BA from London to Nairobi is at? The Vancouver flight gets in at 1:00 every day, or at least it does at the moment, and has for years. I was thinking that a next day flight might not be so bad after all though, it would give us an excuse to book a hotel & get a decent rest overnight in London at least.

I have to start thinking about this for 2009 ! You are such a wealth of knowledge Patty, you are amazing!
Old Nov 21st, 2007, 02:35 PM

Lynda,
BA65 departs LHR at 10:20am so you couldn't connect same day from YVR if you wanted an all BA routing. On the way back you'd also have a fairly long layover of 11+ hours at LHR.
Old Nov 22nd, 2007, 09:53 AM
Original Poster

Yes, the Mara Safari Club is now a Fairmont property. They recently, this past September, completed their renovation. I had never visited before this Sept so don't what it looked like before. The Executive Chef (Henry) is a friend of ours - he was at Kichwa Tembo for many years - and he gave us a complete tour - even their kitchen - which was very impressive! We toured one of the tents and he said there were new. The inside of the tent was beautiful - four poster beds with mozzie netting - color bed covers, comfy seating - writing table - and even a fridge! Nice to have chilled water in your room gt;). There is a separate area for the toilet and two showers, one inside and one outside - also a separate vanity area. Nice african decorations also. Nice seating area on the porch with two chairs and table - wonderful for having your coffee/drinks outside with the Mara River just below.

I think the it was Tent #15 we visited. It was a little walking distance from the tent to the camp main area. I understand that they do provide golf carts for transportation if you have trouble walking. The grounds are very well maintained with lots of large trees and flowering plants and benches around so you can sit if you like.

We ate lunch outside on their deck and it is adjacent to their swimming pool. They do have an inside dining room and I don't know if dinner has to be eaten inside. The dining room did have a more formal appeal, but I'm sure you don't have to 'dress' for dinner. Something I don't care to do...well I do dress for dinner, but not in formal attire.

The lounge/bar area to me has a more 'hotel' feel, but has really comfy sofas and chairs. High ceilings make the area look really large - but they do have some smaller intimate areas to sit and chat.

I have posted a few photos that I took while there on the Kodak site. Hope the link works?

http://www.kodakgallery.com/I.jsp?c=...&x=0&y=-bbpawj

Dana
Old Nov 24th, 2007, 11:33 AM

Hey Dana! Yep, breakfast on the 10th MIGHT work, but our group will be at the Panafric Hotel. I'm not sure how early we'll be leaving for Amboseli that morning. I've stayed at the Fairview; I think you'd enjoy it. The Panafric is less expensive and I'm trying to keep our costs down in Nairobi, in order to "splurge" in the Mara. Are you spending all your time in the Mara? We're staying at the Royal Mara Lodge Sept. 16 - 18. The Mara Safari Club is upriver from the Royal Mara so we may bump into you on a game drive!
Old Nov 25th, 2007, 07:04 AM
Original Poster

ShayTay -

We have not decided on a hotel in Nairobi for the evening of Sept 9th - if Panafric is less expensive than the Fairview that sounds good to me - all I need is a clean room and a shower. Looks like that hotel is about 18 miles from Jomo airport and only 6 miles to Wilson airport - couldn't see how far the Fairview is. I'll sort that out with my contact in Nairobi. We leave Sept 10th from Wilson at 10:00 am.

Staying at Kichwa Tembo Sept 10 thru the 23rd and staying at Mara Safari Club Sept 24th thru the 26th. So it looks like we will miss each other there.

I'll keep you posted as soon as hotel is finalized. If you are leaving for Amboseli out of Wilson on the 10th maybe we can at least say "Jambo" there?

Have you posted your itinerary here? Would love to see where you are traveling to.

Dana
Old Nov 26th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I don't know it it is any use but just to mention that Delta are flying 'direct' to Nairobi from June ! I think it's out of JFK, it might be worth looking into, save all the changing in Europe.

Emirates are starting their Houston-Dubai "non-stop" and from there they have 2 x daily down to Nairobi ( Dubai-Nairobi is about 5 hrs 15 mins )
Old Nov 27th, 2007, 09:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks James for the info on Delta. I may try that next year.