Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Any alternatives to Zanzibar for post-safari relaxation?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:12 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Am planning a 12 day safari to Tanzania next January/February and want to wind it up with a couple of days relaxing before the long haul home. While we love snorkeling, and know that Zanzibar would be relaxing, we can't help but wonder if the trip there may be more hassle than it's worth.

So, do any of you have a suggestion for a good, relaxing way to follow up a safari other than the trek to Zanzibar? Is there a nice luxury lodge that's easier to access in either Tanzania or Kenya? (Our international flight is into/our of Nairobi.) Or, am I making too big a thing out of the travel to a resort in Tanzania? Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:19 AM

where are you going on your 12 days and whom are you going with? There are definitely safari lodges with masseuses, pools, etc.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 08:56 AM
Original Poster

We are still working out the details, but will likely spend a few days in the Serengheti, night or 2 in the crater , Lake Manyara and Tarangire. Safari will start and end near Arusha/JRO airport. We love beaches/snorkeling, but are also open to any place that is luxurious enough to be relaxing. My biggest concern is that a trip to Zanzibar requires a connecting flight back to Nairobi, on top of the drive to the resort on Zanzibar (which I've gathered can be bumpy and long unless you stay in Stonetown). Thanks!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:25 AM

We wanted a few beach days at the end of our safari planned for Oct. '07 and decided to stay at Ras Kutani on the coast of Tanzania, instead of travelling to Zanzibar. At the end of our safari, we fly from Arusha to Dar and then take a quick flight to the resort.

All the reviews I could find of Ras Kutani were really positive. I don't think snorkeling is too good there, but the beach looks really nice (and empty).

Might be an option for you.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 09:37 AM
sandi

If you want beach relaxing, one way or another you're going to have to fly - to Zanzibar or Pemba Islands, or as Blue11 is doing down to Dar and Ras Kutani.

Your safari will be inland, so unless you want to drive (I don't think you do and pay for that), flying is it. Flight time to ZNZ is about 1/hr, then the transfer to your beach resort. Flight from ZNZ to NBO which will take you right into the airport from where you'll catch your homebound flight is 1.5/hrs.

Depending on how much you want to spend, you can have real lux on Mnemba Island Resort, located a short boat ride off of ZNZ, but does come at a high price, or there is The Palms. Otherwise, the options run the gamut from cottages, bungalows, resorts, small, medium or large, and in all price ranges, with and without air conditioning.

Jan/Feb is summer in Tanzania, so ending on the beach is a lovely option.

Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:51 PM

What do you mean by easier to access? Are you thinking of being within driving distance back to Nairobi? If so, how many hours are you willing to travel? I can't think of anything luxurious and relaxing off the top of my head that would be very close to Nairobi. Closest would be Lake Naivasha (1.5 hours) but I don't know if any of the camps there would be luxurious enough for you. Perhaps you could define what your requirements are in terms of luxury.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 12:56 PM

Samatian Island at Lake Baringo is a lovely place to unwind after (or during or before) safari but is 4 hours drive (or charter flight) back to Nairobi and Jan/Feb would be very hot there (no A/C). We were told swimming in the lake was OK but I wouldn't chance it There are crocs and hippos among others. Bird watching is very good here but the best thing to do here is absolutely nothing!
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:01 PM

I haven't found the roads around Zanzibar to be all that bad and there are many lux resorts there. You should spend at least one night in Stone Town, as well, and learn something of its history and the Swahili culture. As to flights, you can fly over to ZNZ out of Arusha's domestic airport, then catch a direct flight out of ZNZ to Nairobi for your return home. That's what I'll be doing the end of June.
Old Mar 16th, 2007, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone, for your quick responses. I think my research for travel to Zanzibar was incomplete -- thought there were no direct flights from JRO or NBO to the island, and that a trip neccessitated a connection through Dar. I'm still not sure my husband will want to make the trek to Zanzibar (the trip to Africa is more my dream than his. And, as he prefers to stay put in one place during vacation, the safari may do him in) sooo... one other query:

Is there a luxury lodge or plantation within an hour's drive of JRO that would offer great food, a swimming pool, air conditioning for 2 nights of relaxation? Maybe one of the coffee plantation lodges? Or a great luxury camp near Kilimanjaro? Thanks!
Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:21 AM
sandi

jayne -

You're not likely to find a/c at many places in/around Arusha/JRO (you'd have to inquire), but for relaxing you can consider:

In/around Aruaha/JRO:
Arusha Coffee Lodge (w/pool)
Arumeru (w/pool)
Moivaro Coffee Lodge (w/pool)
Serena Mountain Village (w/pool)
Ngurduto Lodge (w/pool and spa)Rivertees (w/pool)
Onsea (a B&B)

Between Lk. Manyara/Ngorongoro:
Gibbs Farm (great food)
Plantation Lodge (great food)
Ngorongoro Farmhouse (great food)
Serena Lodge (w/pool) at Manyara

Check these out. I'm sure there are others, but these above are often used and get good reviews.

Old Mar 17th, 2007, 05:57 AM

We ended our safari with a couple of nights at Gibbs Farm. We didn't want to go to Zanzibar. It was a very civilised end to the trip, easing us back into the real world after tented camps, but there is no swimming pool there. Moivaro Coffee lodge has a small pool, whihc nobody seemed to be using when we were there.