Anti-Malarials vs. Mummy Tummy?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 14th, 2010, 10:39 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hi everyone! we're combining egypt & tanzania into 1 trip. we'll be taking anti-malarials for tanzania. maybe this is an obvious question, but wouldn't the anti-biotics we're taking to combat malaria also combat "mummy tummy"? just curious. thanks so much!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 11:05 AM

Hi there,

The quick answer is no.

For Tanzania, recommended anti-malarial meds include doxyycline(an antibiotic, but side effects are bad sun burn if exposed), Mefloquine (side effects are bad dreams), and progranuil.

None of these covers any of the bacteria that cause travelers diarrhea/mummy tummy.

I would recommend getting the dukarol vaccine (taken orally) which prevents diarrhea caused by cholera and enterotoxigenic e. coli (common cause of travelers diarrhea).

If you end up getting the runs, I recommend taking cipro or septra (if u go to a travel clinic before you go, they will give you a prescription for the same). Both are twice a day for at least 3 days.

Alot of people mention Antinal (nifuroxazide) which is another antibiotic that u can use for diarrhea. Its cheap and readily available in Egypt. Personally, I would go with cipro as it covers for more bugs.

Just remember, just because you are taking an antibiotic, doesn't mean you are gonna get better right away. Mummy tummy is also commonly caused by viruses and antibiotics are useless for them.

Immodium/lomitil is good if you have to travel. Just remember it only lessens the symptoms by decreasing bowel motility. Once it wares off, the symptoms are back again.

Hope that helps

doc
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

this is great! thanks so much! yes, i believe we'll be taking doxycycline as our anti-malarial. i will look into everything you mention. thanks again!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:22 PM

No problem. Just remember to cover up in the sun so you don't get burnt whilst on doxy.

For your info, the trade name of mefloquine is Larium and the trade name of atorvoquinone/progranuil is Malranone.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 12:49 PM
Original Poster

i'm super careful about the sun. red-head, and whiter than white! lol! thanks again!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:03 PM

... besides sun-sensitivity if using doxy, another side-effect, especially for women is "thrush" (more commonly known as discharge/itch), not something I'd want to deal with while on holiday. Doesn't mean this will happen, but be aware.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 01:30 PM
Original Poster

yeah, i've never had issues w/that, but i think you have to be on the doxy for like a month or something? so wondering if that'll be a concern. best be taking my probiotics!!!
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 02:01 PM

Actually I would not even consider taking Doxycycline.

Why when there is better treatment available with much less hassles than Doxycycline can give you....

Dukoral... sound good on papper but it is not that effective at all....reaching a high point of less than 70% ..and this is against cholera.

Dukarol has as its main risk( side effects), diarrhea(yep ,just what you are trying to treat), abdominal pains and cramps and in general gastrointestinal distress.

Okay ,then why was it approved if it is not good...
Well it was approved mainly for Health Care Workers in a Cholera Epidemic.!

It's treatment of "Traveller's Diarrhea" , has been disappointing...but it's claim to fame is that is has a 3 month duration of action.

Of the smallgroup of people I know who have tried it ...it was not panacea.!

In Egypt you will get AntiNal because it is cheap, readily available, and it might do the trick BEFORE you have to switch to Cipro. ( if needed).

AntiNal is a poor man's antibiotic...its mode of action is limited.
I read the enclosed brochure on it when I was in Egypt and it did not impress me much.

Don't worry IF you had E. Coli, then AntiNal would be of no help.

Now Cipro is good no question about that.... and it does cover the Escherihia Coli ( E. Coli) bacteria that we all fear of getting while on holidays.

Imodium is good and it is over the counter.

Lomotil...takes a doctor's precription... why is it on precription in Caanda and the USA and Britain...

because it is more potent than Imodium and the Food and Drug people feel, they cannot turn this medication loose on the public..( we could mis -treat ourselves and the risk factor is higher than with Imodium ...so the government knows best !!??)

Just because you have "mummy tummy" does not mean you ate something with bacteria in it.!!

I answered all this on July 31 2009.

Here is the link.
http://www.fodors.com/community/afri...edications.cfm

About malaria....when are you going and can you take Malarone.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 02:20 PM

<i>"but i think you have to be on the doxy for like a month or something? so wondering if that'll be a concern."</i>

I mention from my own experience some 16/yrs ago right before trip to OZ had a tooth extracted, given one of the older antibiotics (in the doxy class) and went on my trip. Sure enough within 4/days was ready to kill my BF (wondering what he gave me... not really, but you get the picture). I wasn't a very happy travel partner.

Of course I had no meds to help, as this wasn't something that I've encountered over the years. However, a little bird whispered in my ear "stop taking the antibiotic pills" which I did, and off we went into town to find something to help my discomfort. The local pharacist was most helpful, though I don't recall what he gave me, but even before I could use, just that 1/day off the antibiotic, the problem eased and by the next day it was gone. For sure no more of those tabs for me and when I returned home and spoke to the dentist, he agreed that the pills given would have such side-effects.. Thankfully, the newer antibiotics rarely, if ever, cause such issues. Doxy, unfortunately, isn't one of them. Why women should be aware.
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 07:34 PM

Thanks for the very intersting story sandi.

And another thing about Doxycycline and Tetracycline and ( the cycline) family of drugs.

I did not ask cheapiano her gender.

But if cheapanio is a woman of child bearing age and IS pregnant, then these drugs STAIN the fetus's teeth which is at about the beginning of the 3rd week of pregnancy.

How long does the staining lst for ?.... Forever !

If you have ever seen this ( I have ) you remember it for a lifetime.

Thats is why this drug is contraindicated in the second and third trimester of pregnancy.... ( advice given, just in case )
Old Jan 14th, 2010, 08:28 PM
Original Poster

thanks everyone! i am indeed a female of child bearing age, but no pregnancy concerns! we will be going in january 2011 (planning a long ways ahead), about a week each in egypt & tanzania. taking doxy b/c it is super cheap compared to the other options. malarone is very expensive, and the other one my travel clinic said they don't even prescribe anymore b/c so many people were having nightmares and sleep issues while on it. as i said, i've never had a problem while on an antibiotic, but also haven't taken it for this long. i eat VERY healthy at home too---probiotics and very low sugar so as to not feed the yeastie-beasties. obviously i won't be following my strict healthy regimen while traveling.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 12:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Cheapiano -

I've been to both Egypt and Tanzania in the past year. Had no stomach issues at all in Tanzania and mild diarrhea (1x per day) in Egypt.

I'm a nurse and I work for the company that makes/distributes Dukoral so of course my daughter and I took it. Don't want to get into a long debate with above posters about its efficacy (and I have read just about every study on cholera/ETEC vaccines) but nothing protects 100% from cholera or ETEC but Dukoral will protect you as much as possible and I was glad to have the added protection as we were in Tanzania for over 3 weeks.

My daughter and I used Malarone which our doctor had us "try" for a few days before our trip. We both have a few allergies to drugs and had no problems with Malarone at all. We took it each evening with dinner. Some people in our group took another anti-malarial like Malarone but they only took one pill a week which seemed very convenient. Although Malarone is not suppose to cause the vivid dreams, people in our group claimed it did... I just think being in Africa causes the vivid dreams Anyway, no nightmares reported at all...

I hate doxycycline for a lot of reasons and I would not use that as malaria prophylaxis. If you do, be extremely careful in the sun and bring along a yeast infection kit!!! Also, be sure not to lie down for at least an hour after taking it and take it with a LOT of water. Doxy is known to cause problems with the digestive tract. I had problems with my esophagus after taking doxy for a few weeks for Lyme Disease. Sorry, just don't like this drug. I get that it is cheap but if you can afford this trip I would spring for the Malarone.

Finally, there are some issues with Cipro and some kind of joint problems it can cause. Sorry, don't remember the details but you can google this. Additionally, I have heard many 'bugs' where you're headed are now resistant to Cipro. Avalox seems to be the latest bring along broad spectrum antibiotic of choice.

I am a bit of a worrier and brought along all the immodium, first aid supplies, etc. Ironically the biggest thing my daughter and I caught in Tanzania was a cold and of course I had brought nothing for that!!!

Beyond all this medical stuff - I want to say have a wonderful time!!

gruezi
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 05:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
I was thinking about this afterward and just wanted to remind you to also get a tetanus booster, polio, and (very important) hepatitis A - one plus a booster 6 months later.

gruezi
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 06:40 AM

The once-a-week malaria drug is Lariam. And, yes it can cause more issues than if taking Malarone... weird dreams, nightmares and others. Not recommended for anyone with psychological problems or these within a family. And have recently read where Lariam is loosing its efficacy in East Africa (as it has already in Southeast Asia).

Over the years (16) I've taken both Lariam (before Malarone was available) and Malarone with no side-effects, but have been with travel partners who did have side-effects from the Lariam.

As gruezi mentions, for what you're paying for the safari, another $125 (or thereabouts, if not covered by a drug plan) for Malarone... I'd go for it.

Remember, though doxy is cheap, you not only have to take it daily while on your trip, but for 28/days after you return home. Unlike the others, where with Malarone only 7/days and if Lariam only 1/tab, once-week for 2/wks.
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

gruezi----great advice! thank you! i will definitely be discussing this w/my doc. and yes, i'm up to date on tetanus, polio, and both hep A & B. sandi---yes, i did know that the doxy you have to take quite a bit longer than the others. things to ponder. i will have to check prices, and decide what's worth it. again, i've never had a problem w/an antibiotic, but who knows?! thanks everyone!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 12:00 PM
cwn

Cheapiano,

We have been to malaria risk countries on our last three major vacations, Brazil and Vietnam and this last year our trip around the world. On this last trip, we were in and out of malaria zones for about six weeks. We took Doxy like we had taken on the other two trips with no problems what so ever. Yes, we took Doxy for almost three months of our five months of traveling.....never once were sick with anything.

Our travel doctor likes Doxy because it is cheap and is an antibiotic that is good for several types of illnesses we might encounter in our travels.

I like it because we both had taken it before and knew we didn't have any problems with it. My hushand almost died after two cipro pills for a kidney infection four years ago. He still suffers from a short term memory problem caused by the drug reaction. Granted he was the 1 in .01% of people that ever have this type of reaction to Cipro. After that reaction experience, I have no desire to have a drug reaction in another country! Yes, you do have to be carefull in the sun, but sounds like you have to do that all the time.

If you research this topic on this board you will find all the opinions express here have been stated before. If you read up on the three drugs mentioned, you will find they all report side effects for some people(as most drugs do, for some people). Everyone has their favorite drug and their reason for taking it. The CDC list all three as options.

The best advice is to see a doctor you trust ask him the question and then follow his advice. You do need to take something....the only place I had any bites was in Tanzania...I am a mosquito magnet!

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 12:33 PM
Original Poster

thanks cwn! nice to see you here in the egypt forum! good to know there's at least one vote out there for the "cheap" drugs! i will absolutely discuss all of this with my travel clinic. you said doxy is good for different types of illnesses you might encounter in your travels? so that means it MAY be useful against some of the potential tummy issues? so sorry about your husband! that is terrifying! i'm just praying we'll somehow manage to not have any issues. i managed a trip to fiji last fall w/o any trouble, and we were doing the budget back-packer tour. not the 5 star super-sanitized version by any means. so hopefully it'll all work again.

and yes, i am ridiculously careful about the sun. i'm a mosquito magnet as well. looks like i may be in for it in tanzania?! although, as i recall, you were there during the rains, so maybe in january it won't be quite as nasty. at least that's what i'll go ahead and tell myself. thanks again!
Old Jan 15th, 2010, 01:55 PM
cwn

I think there would be less of a problem when it is dry. It did rain, usually in the evening almost every day we were there. The good thing was it stayed cool and didn't cause problems on our drives, plus every thing was very green which made for a good back drop for the animals. We were luck also in that it had just started raining and the grasses were still short.
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 01:33 AM

Hi cheapiano

I take Doxy due to other drugs I am on and have had no problems with it whatsoever. I take it at least once a year and as I am away around 30 days that means I am taking it for 60 days and have done since my first Sthern Africa trip in 2000.
With other drugs I am on, I have issues with being in the sun and so I am careful about this and the other things mentioned have never been my experience. That is why taking your travel doctor's advice is good advice as they have all your info which we do not!

Kind regards
Kaye
Old Jan 16th, 2010, 05:03 AM
Original Poster

another vote for the "cheap" drugs! lol! thanks so much! i already know my doc recommended the doxy to me, but i will of course discuss everything thoroughly. thanks for your input!