Another tipping question

May 10th, 2004, 07:28 AM
Original Poster

Another tipping question

I have read the tipping thread but had another question. Do we tip the tour coordinator? This is the person who quoted the trip and has been organizing the trip. I email him frequently with questions. I know you don't tip a travel agent, but I feel he has done a lot more work than a normal agent. He'll meet us at the airport when we arrive.
May 10th, 2004, 07:52 AM

No...do not tip your tour operator. They are earning commission and will be duly compensated with such commission. If you want to give an extra tip, then rebook your next trip with them and tell the world about how great this tour operator is, hopefully resulting in more booking for the tour operator.
May 10th, 2004, 11:56 AM
sandi

Cronen - that's their job - to listen to client's requests, needs, desires, issues, make changes - adds, deletes, whatever - to create an itinerary so you have the best time on your holiday. As Roccco mentioned, if all works out as planned (which is should), just let others know how wonderful the company was in planning your trip. Nothing more is required on your part.

May 11th, 2004, 10:56 AM
Original Poster

Roccco and Sandi, thanks for the information. I'm getting down to the details now. Just bought trip insurance...as I'm about to wire transfer payment for the trip!
I have read the "take pens to Africa" post. The link Kavey provided isn't working anymore, but I would like to read the article. One posting said there was a lot of begging. Do you give pencils to children who are begging? Or do you just give them out to kids who you encounter. Is it always received well? I have encountered begging in my hometown of NY and in Mexico. I ignore it in my hometown... I am conflicted on this issue as well..
May 11th, 2004, 02:16 PM
sandi

Cronen - here's Kavey's post with the link she provided:

>>Author: Kavey ([email protected])
Date: 03/07/2004, 05:45 pm
Message: I am also conflicted on this issue, especially after reading the following thread:

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/me...messid=3459278
>>

We found that we came in contact with more locals and children in Kenya, and when we did, had no problem giving out pens and pencils, though often parents asked for their children and we gave to them.

While in Tanzania, it was rare that we came in contact with locals, especially children, so we eventually gave what we brought with us to our guide (who had a young son) so he could deliver it to his child's school.

I don't believe anyone is comfortable in seeing beggers anywhere, or touts right in your face trying to sell you something. But for some reason I never felt uncomfortable or put off while in East Africa. Often we would sit with a group of children and ask questions - what were they learning in school, could they do their numbers, or spelling bees - we got lots of interesting responses, some correct, some not, but in this way we felt more involved, rather than just handing out pens, pencils and whatever else be brought with us. But whatever you do, please do not hand out candy or gum - rarely is there a dentist nearby.

Read Kavey's link (I didn't, but will) and then do what works best for you. And do let your daughter (right?) know what is happening so she's not caught off guard - this can be traumatic for western yongsters who rarely come in contact with like situations, especially when it's so obvious.

Hope this helps.

May 11th, 2004, 02:18 PM
sandi

- oooops, link still not working, sorry.

Search this Thread