Another incredible safari in Kenya

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2023, 09:54 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We booked three nights at Porini Mara camp and three nights at Porini Lion camp last month and wanted to report on our stay. I booked directly with Gamewatchers and had used them the prior two trips I have taken to Kenya. This was my first stay at Mara camp and third at Lion.

We flew into Ol Seki airstrip and explored nearby Naboisho conservancy as well as Ol Kinyea, where the camp is located. Mara is a small camp but offered great views and I like the fact that lunch was served outside overlooking the animals grazing nearby.

There are so many babies this time of year, tons of wildebeest, zebra and even baby warthogs. We had great game drives and then transferred to Olare motorogi conservancy for our stay at Porini Lion.

Cats cats and more cats. So many babies. Every day offered leopard cheetah and lion sightings once or twice a day and so many with babies ranging from 3 months to 3 years. The game viewing was exceptional

The weather was hotter than it was last time I was here in Feb., but not an issue on the game drives just a bit hot during the afternoon when it was siesta time

Food was good in both camps, they catered to my vegetarian needs

I must say I have a soft spot for Porini Lion however because of my love of the cats and the staff remembered me which was nice.

For a complete report and tons of photos you can see my blog if you like.
https://debbeanddougstravels.travellerspoint.com
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 03:07 AM

What a great trip and fabulous pictures! Thanks for sharing. Live. Nice start to my day.
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 05:44 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Glover
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 07:08 PM

OMG! Your baby pix slayed me!!! All the pix were great and brought back such wonderful memories of my visit to Porini Lion camp.
I just might have to return this time of year.
How was the weather?
Old Mar 5th, 2023, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Loved your blog, thanks!
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 06:18 AM
Original Poster

The weather was hot and dry but only an issue when we were having down time at the camps mid day
Old Mar 7th, 2023, 09:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
live42day, I enjoyed your photos and I swear I recognize some of those cats, lol. I think we determined on Trip Advisor that we were there about the same time. I visited Olare Motorogi first, then Naboisho, and I think it was my favorite Mara trip so far. Lots of babies and lots and lots of activity, not just lions lying there. I hope to get to a trip report here at some point (the coolest part of my trip I think was seeing the melanistic leopard up in Laikipia) but I wanted to thank you for sharing this so quickly and bringing back good memories!
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Amy. I look forward to your report
Old Mar 8th, 2023, 08:48 AM

Thanks for the weather report!
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 12:18 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
What a wonderful adventure. Thanks for taking us along with your beautiful photos.
Old Mar 12th, 2023, 03:23 PM

Thanks for another great report chronicling your “incurable disease” as you call it on your travel blog.

A few of many highlights:
Love the photo of you and your friend juxtaposed from decades ago with the present (on the Rwanda entry).
And “love” barely suffices to express emotion, seeing the two cuddling lions!! OMG!

Thanks for great memories of Porini Lion. While probably difficult to answer, if you had to choose one for a first time visitor, would it be Lion or Mara camp? ( I’ve been to Lion, but not Mara Camp, and am trying to twist one family member’s arms!)

Asante sana!
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 12:40 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cali. I really have a soft spot for Lion camp but Mara had it’s good points too. You just can’t beat the cat sightings at Lion however. They are quite close together so it is very convenient to do both as it’s just a drive. But if I had to choose it would be Lion. Hope you can convince your travel mate to go.
Old Mar 13th, 2023, 10:00 AM

It's hard for me to imagine a better experience than my time at Porini Lion. So glad you got to visit both!
Old Mar 14th, 2023, 10:16 PM

Live4, thank you for your feedback!!
I too can’t imagine a trip that wouldn’t include Lion Camp but unlike you, can’t compare to Mara, Gamewatchers’ travel planner sad Mara Camp fantastic. Next tome at Lion, I’d request the tent right next to and above the river, so we can hear the hippos at night! You make a good point, easy to drive between the two conservancies/camps.

Thanks for your good wishes. I hope DD and her son will, despite their school & work obligations, evbtuall agree to join me! They won’t know what they’re missing until they see it!!