Amazrou and Tamegroute? Worth it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 10th, 2012, 03:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am trying to decide whether to make a detour in order to see the silversmiths in Amazrou (the village near Zagora). While there I would certainly also go to Tamegroute if I had time, but the jewlery making would be the main purpose of my visit.

Has anyone actually been there? Know more about it than what can be found online or in my books?

If I'm actually able to see jewelry being made, and buy some, it will be worth it to me. But if it's just another town with a couple of tourist stores I'd just as soon skip it.

Ian, can you tell me where you read about it?

Cheers! Leaving one week from today!

TF
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 05:19 PM

Hey TF,
Tamegrout is amazing place, situated near Zagora as it has an underground jewsih tombs, do not give it a miss.
Old Mar 10th, 2012, 09:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks PT!

Have you ever stopped at Amazrou?

I will be traveling right through the Rose valley too... maybe I'll get lucky and be there at the right time for the festival. Any idea yet when it will be?

Do you know if they make rosewater ice cream in morocco? They make it in Iran and it is wonderful.
Old Mar 11th, 2012, 07:48 AM

Hi TF,
I'm sorry i've never been there before, my trips was based to the known places, and sometimes to the villages which surrounds fame places.
No idea about the festival yet, but Tim has told me to contact some hotel from there for any updates, the festival helds every year at the first week of May.
Old Mar 12th, 2012, 09:28 AM

TF, you'll be too early for the rose festival, it's sometime mid May, we just missed it by about a week a couple of years back. Don't know if they make rosewater ice cream, actually don't remember buying ice cream anywhere in Morocco. But you'll find all manner of rose scented lotions, soaps, etc, not to mention garlands of fresh roses sold by the roadside - we bought a couple and the heady fragrance lingered in our car for a couple of days! You'll love Morocco and the Moroccans...