leaving for morocco in 10 days- need ur opinions

Sep 16th, 2012, 06:20 PM
Original Poster

leaving for morocco in 10 days- need ur opinions

My travel companian is getting ( very ) concerned about our upcoming trip to Morocco. As 2 American females traveling with a Moroccan guide I do not feel overly concerned with the 'situations' making the news. Am I being too laid back or should I reassess and reevaluate this 2 week vacation I have been so excited for?

I appreciate you opinions and will just take each day as it comes for the time being..

Thanks so much, Max
Sep 16th, 2012, 06:35 PM

Morocco is NOT the Middle East. If your companion is so worried she won't enjoy herself then you should cancel. I visited Morocco on my own just after 9-11 when westerners were staying away in droves and I was stopped in the street and thanked for being there. The Moroccan economy is built on tourism and furthermore the country is not a hotbed of radicalism. I think you should go and I know you'll have a great time. It's a wonderful place, my personal favorite.
Sep 16th, 2012, 06:53 PM
Original Poster

Thank you, I realize I am not traveling in the middle east -

In the past 2 days there has been some news about demonstrations in Casablanca and Rabat. These 2 destinations are on my itinerary but I have no plans to be near any US embassy's or mobs...

I want to go ..thanks for your opinion
Sep 16th, 2012, 07:22 PM

Sorry Maxine, for overemphasizing the point about the Middle East. My past experience here and on other forums has been that for some inexperienced travellers it's all the same.

I think you'll find that demonstrations may be the end of such activity in Morocco as the government there is conservative and major political upheavel is unlikely. If that turns out not to be true you still have time to cancel. Your guide can also easily simply take you elsewhere as any activity will likely be confined to diplomatic enclaves as you mention. But I'll be very surprised if it continues.
Sep 17th, 2012, 02:03 AM

I think you should not worry about that. People is not trying to kill any USA people they see! The protests are isolated incidents and against government.
These countries receive thousand of tourists in these days and there were not problem at all. Just you should take the normal precautions as in any other country.

About Middle East.. I don't think Middle East should be considered as a dangerous place to go, just because of some areas. Most of places are safe and beautiful and certainly great destinations to visit..
Sep 17th, 2012, 03:55 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your responses..my son just returned from Israel and had the time of his life!!! Had no hesitation sending him there.

Now I must hope my travel companion can understand as well....I do not feel I should travel alone..
Sep 17th, 2012, 05:07 AM

We spent 3 weeks in Morocco during the Arab Spring in 2011. We never once thought about cancelling the trip as we had been planning it for months. We never felt at all unsafe and the people were wonderful, thanking us for coming. As another comment said their economy is built on tourism and they still really like their King, from what we understood from our guide. My only thought would be to stay away from restaurants that are popular with tourists and are in a hub of activity. There was an issue with one of the restaurants we enjoyed while in Marrakesh but that was an isolated incident and the first incident in 8 years. Go and have a good time - it's an amazing country. You'll be glad you did.
Sep 17th, 2012, 07:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank You!!

I have decided if my travel friend decides not to go.... I am still going, solo with the guide!!!

If people visiting Philadelphia began to read the crime rate stats here, Betsy Ross would have to sell her house!!

Thanks....Max
Sep 17th, 2012, 04:53 PM

Maxine: I traveled alone through Morocco last Spring. I used a guide/driver for the road part, a city guide for one day in Fez (fabulous) and Marrakech (which I wish I had skipped, or kept to one overnight. And had a great time.

Advice -- if you get lost or have a problem -- ask a woman on the streets, very politely and slowly if in English... they will help you.

I only wish I could go back with you! Enjoy
Sep 18th, 2012, 04:47 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Travelin, I appreciate you advise/ guts!!!
Sep 18th, 2012, 06:08 PM

Maxine, go for it and enjoy Morocco it's 100% safe and don't ever think back or negatively, You will find the diffirence once you are there.
have fun and keep us updated with all your daily events.

Search this Thread