alternative to Carnivore restaurant in Nairobi

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 6th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Younger son and I are vegetarians so while older son and hubby eat at Carnivore rest. (I don't want to even go in even if there are non meat alternatives) are there any good restaurants nearby? Thanks.
Old May 6th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Carnivore actually has a vegetarian menu. On the line of Indian cuisine.

Do you eat fish/seafood? If so, there's the Tamarind.

There are any number of restaurants in Nairobi, all kinds of cuisine. Discuss with your outfitter your requirements and see whether you can come up with an eatery that meets all of your requirements.
Old May 6th, 2008, 11:29 AM
pippa13

when we stay in nairobi we go to MEDITERANNEO in westlands!
excellent italian cuisine. wonderful risotto porcini, delishes pasta dishes, bread to die for as well as awesome olive oil!
from the norfolk it's 400KSH in a taxi. they have another ristaurante in ngong.

we both are vegetarians (no fish no meat no chicken - sometimes american call themselves vegetarians but eat either fish or chicken or both ;-)) and we are alwys great in an italian restaurant and mediteranneo is the best in nairobi.

after staying in kenya for several times for at least 2 weeks i simply cannot stand anymore the indian spices because i am fed up once and for all with curcuma etc.

Old May 6th, 2008, 12:01 PM

Hello KRNS,
Carnivore is in a kind of industrial area and I’m not sure there’re other restaurants nearby, if by nearby you mean within walking distance. There’re lots of restaurants in Karen and Langata though. For vegetarian food I’d recommend Chowpaty that’s 100% vegetarian. I was so overwhelmed by the choice that I had to ask the waiter to tell me what to have. Though it’s not recommended if you like Pippa suffer from curcumaphobia (fear of turmeric).

Old May 6th, 2008, 12:07 PM

Chowpaty is in Westlands.
Old May 6th, 2008, 12:20 PM

The other Mediterraneo is at the Junction which is reasonably close to the Carnivore but not walking distance. Westlands could be a bit of a drive depending on traffic. The best thing is to convince hubby and older son to eat elsewhere
Old May 6th, 2008, 03:48 PM
Original Poster

I don't care for Indian food but love Italian. esp. love bread so rest. mentioned by Pippa sounds good. We're really vegetarians, no chicken, seafood,etc. Wouldn't be vegetarian if we ate those. Don't wear leather either but can't do vegan, way too difficult. We should have someone with car from tour company so can go a distance. Thank you all for suggestions.
Old May 6th, 2008, 07:09 PM

OK just make sure you go to the one at the Junction. No need to go all the way to Westlands.
Old May 7th, 2008, 01:40 PM
pippa13

@ KRNS
when we do nairobi we communte on KENATCO taxis. i book them in advance via email and the driver waits for us at arrival, takes us to the hotel etc. we get his cellphone number and he also picks us up at the restaurant in order to get us back safely.
the transportation is much cheaper than with a tour operater.
jomo-norfolk is about 1800KSH, norfolk - westlands mediteranneo and back is about 1000KSH.
we don't have to pay each and every ride but pay in the evening when we get back to the hotel.

be aware it's packed every evening so book in advance - best done via the hotel!

enjoy nairobi!