All Inclusive Tour Operator for Kenya

Oct 12th, 2010, 12:54 PM
Original Poster

All Inclusive Tour Operator for Kenya

Been a long time since I have been on this forum. It was a great help in planning our trip to Kenya.

Have an older lady friend who would like to go on an organized trip to Kenya with a tour group. Where everything is taken care of for her, such as Abercrombie In particular, she would like to go to the Masai Mara and see the wonderful wildlife there. (I still check up on what is up with Honey the cheetah's cubs, now all grown up. Almost went last November just to go to try to see them.)

Thanks

Kevin from California
Oct 12th, 2010, 01:35 PM

"older lady" - how old? Not that it should matter as all ages travel here. As long as she's healthy, looking for adventure and has a good sense of humor, she should be good to go!

How many days and what kind of budget?

Of the "named" companies that handle Kenya safaris for groups: A&K and Micato will be expensive; so too is Tauck (out of Westport, CT).

However, the prices offered by these companies as high as they are, it could be easy for her to design her own itinerary - where she visits, # of days at each, chooses own accommodations. As you'll recall, whether driving or flying, there is always someone to meet visitor/s on arrival, transfer to/from NBO hotel, transfers to/from local airport (Wilson) and at airstrips once in the parks. Lodge and/or camp staff are most attentive to guest needs, even more so when it comes to solo travelers.

The trip reports here, show so many women (and men)... all ages, that travel solo and wouldn't have it any other way and all feel perfectly safe and well taken care of. And, pricing even with single supplement doesn't necessarily have to be as expensive as if with one of the three mentioned above.

Another group option, with more competitive pricing would be OAT (Overseas Adventure Travel) who offers some interesting itineraries.

On her behalf (or together) check out the various websites for the itineraries these companies are offering; see if these meet with her wishes or she'd like to "go it on her own."

Good luck!
Oct 12th, 2010, 03:00 PM

Another one I think she should look at is http://www.odysseys-unlimited.com/ I've heard good things about them and we considered them before deciding to go private.
Oct 12th, 2010, 09:35 PM

Does she have a budget in mind? The nice thing about Africa is that it is routine to have everything taken care of for you.
Oct 13th, 2010, 06:47 AM
Original Poster

Sandy and Lynn(?), nice to see you are still active and helpful as always.

To all: lady is mid 60's cost is not a problem. I will pass along A&K, Micato and OAT. Also will pass along name of Sandy's company, African Serendipity, probably best way for client to go now that I think about it.

Thanks

Kevin
Oct 13th, 2010, 08:41 AM

I would contact Cheli+Peacock and let them put together a nice private safari. Private car and driver or fly-in.
Let them know beforehand about age and physical restrictions - if any. Then they are prepared and can provide a ladder to climb the land cruiser.
If she is in moderate health - all will be fine!

Rates for high (not peak!) season: There shouldn't be any single surcharge but safari comes at a high cost.
A rough estimation: 600US$ per day should do - plus intl. air.
But any quote will be depending on her preferences: fly-in or surface, high-end camps or lodges or mid range.

Before you consult with the TO/TA you can figure out what she is after and willing to "invest" in to that experience of a lifetime.

Oct 13th, 2010, 11:02 AM

Cheli & Peacock will quote at "rack" rates, so better to go thru an agent and take advantage of their reduced contract rates. As to the single supplement, there are only a few properties that don't assess this in "mid-season"