Airlines to Israel

Apr 21st, 2002, 01:14 PM
Rachel

Airlines to Israel

My husband and I are planning to spend three weeks in September in Israel and are wondering what any of your experiences have been flying there. We've only ever gone on El Al and are finding that there are cheaper fares available, notably on Continental and Delta. If any of you have any comments about those airlines or others you've had a good experience with, we would appreciate the advice. Also, some people have told us that you can get better airfares at the last minute--within 2 weeks of departure--true?

Finally, if anyone has used a good travel agent to book flights to Israel, we'd appreciate the recommendation.

Thanks for your help!

-Rachel

Apr 21st, 2002, 01:18 PM
Lisa

We flew Continental and it was fine. They had the little video screens in the backs of the seats so you could choose which movies you wanted to watch. There was also very tight security because of the destination and that was already 2 years ago. I wouldn't hesitate to use them agian. Haven't flown on El Al so I don't have a basis of comparison

Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:01 PM
Faina

I flew Lufthansa SF-TA with a stopover at Frankfurt. SF-Frankfurt was wonderful, Frankfurt - TA made me feel differently, the service in the airport (small waiting place without food vendors) and on the flight is lower for those going to Israel. I would fly Lufthansa again anyway, felt safe.

Don't know about last minute - had several months' advance reservations. And dropped that travel agent after this vacation.

Apr 22nd, 2002, 02:20 PM
sue

Try Air Canada

Jun 7th, 2002, 11:22 AM
Jon

"Delta" tickets are actually for code-shared flights operated by, yes, El Al. If you can get a cheaper fare that way (sometimes one airline sells out of promotional rates faster than the other). Of course, if it is important to you, please double check with Delta that
this is still the case on the dates you wish to travel.

Jun 7th, 2002, 07:31 PM
Mary

Hi Rachel, I've flown El Al from Newark once and KLM the second time out of Chicago. El Al was non stop and KLM had a 8 hour layover in Amsterdam. We bought the KLM tickets from a consolidator in L.A and the trip was fine. Regular international security ou of Chicago, but when we got ready to reboard in Amsterdam the security was the same as on EL Al. Very intense. And this was 2 months before the intifada began in 2000. I do remember on Klm they gave us ice cream and pop corn, if you care about that kind of stuff. What I do remember is when we landed on KLM everyone clapped and cheered just like on El Al. I liked that. If you're interested in the consolidator email me and I'll look it up. The tickets were cheaper.

Search this Thread