Marrakesh

Search this Thread

Old May 17th, 2002, 01:30 AM
Lisa

Marrakesh

I will spend next week 3 days in Marrakesh. I just booked the hotel.<BR>Any suggestions on how best organise my time?<BR>Visits,gardens, restaurants, caf&eacute;s<BR>I hate to be hassled, any piece of advice to avoid it? I had thought to wear muslim type of clothes, will that work?

Old May 17th, 2002, 07:31 AM
nikkit

Have a look at my website http://www.i-escape.com under Morocco destination guide and select Marrakech. I have listed our favourite restaurants and must see sites ec.

Old May 17th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Matthias

Unless you're Arab, don't wear Muslim-style clothes, you'll just stand out even more. Wear conservative clothes--pants, arms covered, but don't bother with a veil, please.<BR><BR>There are some great cafes just off Djemma el Fnaa square, and you'll want to people watch there. The souks are maze like. <BR><BR>You will be hassled by vendors and snake charmers and henna "artists." If you don't want their attentions, stare straight ahead and repeatedly say "No/Non"<BR><BR>If you do want a service--like a picture with a snake charmer, AGREE ON A PRICE BEFORE HAND. Otherwise, the price will triple before you leave. <BR><BR>If you want to buy anything in the souks, all the guide books say to offer them half the price and go from there. HAH. Assuming you look like a white American/European, the prices will be at least 5 times what they should be. believe me on that. I bought some small trinkets for about 1/3 of what they asked for, went out to the countryside and found identical things for 1/5 or less of the asking price in Marrakesh.<BR><BR>Here's how to bargain (learned after nearly 2 weeks there)....They will start with an inflated price (often they will write it on a slip of paper, sometimes saying, "We go back and forth 3 times, then final price"--don't believe that either). You cross it out and offer something around 1/5 of that price. The man will counter by taking a third off the price, while complaining vociferously. You add a little to your price....eventually settle on about 1/3 of the asking price. You're still paying too much, but usually it's still cheaper than a comparable item in the States. If you're not getting anywhere, start walking out. Your price will very nearly be met (throw in an extra 5-10% tops to assuage him).<BR><BR>Watch out for false guides....other than that, there are police everywhere downtown, and my wife and I felt perfectly safe. Enjoy.<BR><BR>Visit the square, the Khattoubia (sp?), the Saadian tombs. <BR><BR>

Old May 23rd, 2002, 10:13 AM
Vickie

I was in Morocco in November. In Marrakech take one of the horse drawn carriages after you negotiate a price. I went to the Jardin de Marjorelle which are the gardens owned by Yves St. Laurent. They are beautiful. Don't miss them.

Old May 30th, 2002, 04:49 AM
a

I spent only three days in Marrakesh last year September and wished I had spent more time. It was a wonderful city. We stayed in the medina in a small riad and felt we got a bette experience of the city than if we had stayed outside the medina. You must drink the orange juice and eat at least once in the Jmaa el Fnaa square at night.

Old Jun 7th, 2002, 07:32 PM
andi

I'd say skip the Djmaa el Fnaa, or at least don't plan on spending lots of time there. Go to La Mamounia for a drink. The most spectacular restaurant I've ever been in was in Marrakesh - Yacout. Fabulous food, even more fabulous decor. I bought great tribal rugs in the souk, then got home to Boston and found them for only slightly more here. In other words, I paid too much, but I love them and the experience of bargaining and shopping that way is really something, lots of fun. Also bought great jewelry (especially moonstone/silver necklace) the souk. I had dinner at one Riad, Riad Enja, like Yacout one of hte most gorgeous environments I'd ever seen. (Riads are, I believe, small hotels hidden away in alleys, look like nohting outside, a marvelous world inside, built around a courtyard). Must see Majorelle Gardens. Have a great time.