Airline question

Jul 7th, 2007, 12:30 AM
Original Poster

Airline question

Hi everyone. It seems the most popular airlines to fly for an East African Safari are either British Airways into NBO or KLM into JRO. But I just did a search on Kayak (thank you Sandi) and found lots of flights with Kenya Airways, Ethiopian Airways, etc. Has anyone here flown these other airlines? If so, how did they compare with BA and KLM? The flight I anticipated booking on BA keeps going up every day as the dollar keeps sinking to new lows, so I'm searching alternative flights.

Thank you!
Jul 7th, 2007, 09:09 AM

hi,
we went to africa last year with Kenya airways and it was a good flight no problems ,we would chose them over B.A. any day.
Have you checked the virgin atlantic website to Nairobi.they started flying to Nairobi in June2007(thanks to Sandi ,for posting the info before we booked our flight )we have booked our christmas flight with them using flying club miles heathrow to Nairobi and they have booked our flight from Nairobi to Kilimanjaro for us.
rkaty
Jul 7th, 2007, 10:01 AM

I have flown all the airlines you mentioned. Ethiopian Airways was great, but you will probably have stop overs both in Rome and in Abba Addis. I did have problems with delays on Kenya Airways, but that was 20 years ago. More recently had smooth travelling with them. I have found that the service on KLM terrible. Nasty flight attendants and airport reps. A friend just flew with KLM and thought the service could be better. I believe that the last time I used Kenya airways, I fly out of Amsterdam. If so, make sure you get a Northwest plane and not KLM as they share flights. I would avoid London if I can. While Heathrow is a nice airport, you might be struck there a long time because of security delays.
Jul 7th, 2007, 11:19 AM

i flew kenya airways within kenya and between kenya and uganda 1 year ago and out of something like 6 flights i had the following experiences all in fine weather with no terrorism threats or otherwise:

flights
1st fine
2nd cancelled, no call, found out at airstrip where i waited 3 hours for flight on rival carrier.
3rd 4 hour delay, no explanation
4th 7 hour delay no explanation, missed connections, forfeited night of vacation
5th (makeup from missed flight previous day) fine
6th flight cancelled, luggage 3 hours late on different flight almost missing international departure.

that said, the whole time other passengers, frequent fliers, said the rumor was that kenya airways devoted its time and resources to the international flights (that is non african international flights), so take my experiences with that in mind.

the aircraft itself and the inflight services were fine, but many passengers on that 7 hour mystery delay missed connections to europe, south africa, etc. with no explanation ever given and no accommodations made in terms of offering food or drink or rebookings.
when we at last arrived in nairobi, there was a 2 hour queue to find out what to do next- terrible customer service imho.

i would not schedule anything unmissiable for the day of your arrival if using them.

kerikeri

sorry if this posts twice- something funny just happened while i was typing
Jul 7th, 2007, 11:54 AM

KLM flies non-stop to JRO from AMS. For Ethiopian you fly via Europe, then Addis Ababa.

BA, Virgin, Swiss, Brussels, Emirates fly into NBO. From there you outfitter can get you a flight to JRO.

Previously I've always used KLM to JRO with no problems, besides AMS Schiphol Airport is the most civilized compared to Heathrow. On most recent trip I flew Emirates out of JFK via Dubai to NBO*. Did an o/n and next day flew to JRO. Emirates was wonderful and the least expensive of all the flights (to NBO); the savings actually paid for my fly to JRO with a few $$$s to spare.

*This particular flight out of Dubain gets into NBO at 2:15pm which allows enough time to make the last flight to JRO same day.

I go with the best fare and schedule. Haven't yet been disappointed. The food and/or entertainment are never a concern. Regardless the carrier, the flights have always been on time with no delays.

Lucky, I guess.
Jul 7th, 2007, 06:42 PM

Emirates is the best!
Jul 8th, 2007, 09:36 AM

Hi! I also had a bad experience with Kenya Airways delays...three hours with no explanation or anything. Fortunately I made my international flight, with a whole half-hour to spare...

Moira
Jul 9th, 2007, 11:49 AM

Just returned from Kenya and Tanaznia - used Virgin Atlantic from Dulles to London and Kenya Airways London to Nairobi. Once we were on the aircraft - no problems. Had a hitch in London - even with an 8 hour layover - could never find out which gate the Kenya flight would be departing from until we kept asking Heathrow personnel. One finally told us that KLM would handle this at gate 19. We proceeded there exactly one hour before flight time and were told that the flight was full and we may not get on (although it was an hour before departure and I had confirmed seats - so I thought)! The person made a couple of phone calls and finally said she found 2 seats and that we were very lucky! We literally ran for about 10 minutes to get from gate 19 to gate 23 because she said the flight boarding was closing - still made no sense since it was an hour left! When we got to the boarding gate and explainined our situation - we were simply told "well you are here how - have a seat"! I haven't figured out whom to call about this yet. Anyway - the flight itself was great - and the return flight was also ok. Don't expect much info to be posted about the flights - ask questions. On the other hand, one person in our same safari flew BA and his luggage was lost both going & coming!
Jul 12th, 2007, 09:05 PM

We're flying sfo to london, london to dubai and dubai to dar. We're also planning a stopover in dubai on the way back.

sfo to london on virgin; the rest on emirates. Haven't flown yet so don't know what'll be like but I'm not thrilled about heathrow's one carryon only policy. (no personal purse or camera bag)
Jul 13th, 2007, 03:43 AM

Hi Traveler07:

$Dynamic Pricing$ $-)

”The flight I anticipated booking on BA keeps going up every day as the dollar keeps sinking to new lows, so I'm searching alternative flights.”

MANY online shopping sites use what is called ”dynamic pricing”, the more you show interest (visit the page without making a decision -- put your item in the cart) the higher the price will go! Pretty clever and all very legal!

This is one time you are allowed to clean out the cookie jar (clear your browser cookies between peeks) or shop on your home computer and if you can, make your purchase at work.

Den