Airfare Help!!

Old Mar 16th, 2004, 08:26 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfare Help!!

I am trying to find a cost efficient way to get from North America to Nairobi (or Tanzania) to Cairo to North America.

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!! We are in Salt Lake But I find that I really just want to price my international flights from the last departing US city and then get a flight from Salt Lake to that departing city.

Thanks so much

J
Old Mar 16th, 2004, 09:05 PM

There is a direct EgyptAir flight from JFK to Cairo. My inlaws took this flight and said it was fine. It arrived in Cairo around 3 pm. I think it left Cairo for JFK around 9 am.

There is a Kenya Airways flight from Cairo to Nairobi that leaves about 11:30 pm. It stops in Khartoum, then continues to Nairobi, arriving around 6 am. I think it leaves Nairobi around 6 pm for the flight back to Cairo. We took this flight and it was fine - not luxurious, but fine.

Don't know what the costs are, but my guess is these would be the least costly unless you get some terrific deal elsewhere.
Old Mar 17th, 2004, 08:03 PM

Jules,

I guess the biggest factor would depend on what your date of travel is? Do you have it narrowed down to the month? Do you have to go through Cairo? If so I would say you might want to get a ticket to Europe say London and then try and get a net fare from there. www.expedia.co.uk has net fares originating from UK that you won't find leaving from US sites. Or you can try a consolidator either in US or elsewhere.

-Ali
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 09:23 AM
Original Poster

Ali

Our time of year will be mid Jan to mid Feb. Our plans are to spend 8 days in Tanzania and then we want to spend 2 weeks in Egypt and then back to North America. I know it is early to get true price but I am trying to get an idea on routes & prices and the balance between the two. At the moment I am getting a price of us$2700. per person so I am really hoping to get this down a bit.

J
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 10:22 AM

You're looking way too far in advance to get any kind of airfare bargain. Really, I'd suggest you don't even think about flights until September. (Start checking in August, maybe...) I used http://www.consolidatorwebfares.com/afspecials.htm to watch flight costs and book our trip for this May. I note they are currently quoting a RT from LA to Nairobi for $1675 and a RT from LA to Cairo for $840 You'd probably have to call to find out about pricing an open jaws flying in to Nairobi and out of Cairo. And of course those fares aren't quoted for next year yet. But give them a call -- maybe they can give you a quote.
Old Mar 18th, 2004, 05:22 PM

I agree I would wait till Sep-Mid Nov to book. You should be able to find a ticket to europe for arround $600 from US for Jan/Feb. I know SEA and SFO to London were arround $600 USD including tax. Then I did some searches for May and April and came up with 358 LHR-NBO and 243 LHR-CAI, in pounds which comes to about $1077 should be less by then. If you go Open jaw it will probly cost more if you end up having diferent airlines for diferent legs.

-Ali
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:23 PM

Jules,
I'm planning a trip to Egypt in mid-Jan as well. We should compare notes. I'll be flying from SFO.
Old Jun 14th, 2004, 12:43 PM
sandi

As others mentioned, it's way too early to be getting firm airfares for next year. But you should check with the consolidator uhoh_busted mentioned (they've got pretty good fares) to get some idea.

For airlines specifically, though, no doubt you'll want to wait till last minute, but as of immediately after Jan 1 (the 3rd or 4th) BA and others reduce fares from NYC to London down to $200+tax (about $300 r/t). But consider BA anyways as they fly LHR to NBO. For flights into JRO (Kilimanjaro) look at KLM. And check these for connecting flights to Cairo.

There is also an aircarrier called East Africa Air at www.africansafariair.com with fares of $399 r/t from London to NBO.

Another consolidator to check is
www.premiertours.com - click for their air dept (though a tour operator, they have a very good air consolidation dept).

There are lots of resources, so just keep checking and you should be able to come up with a price that is reasonable.

Old Feb 1st, 2008, 08:59 PM
easyflyer

you can also visit www.madukhatravel.com for cheap flights and holidays.

Old Aug 13th, 2009, 05:36 AM

Visit www.anonscope.com for cheap air and sea freights.
Old Aug 21st, 2009, 03:49 PM

If Tanzania is your destination your best bet would be BA from anywhere in North America. Gets into Dar-e-Salam at 7am leaves you ample time to get to Arusha by flight if your doing a safari in the north.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 04:03 AM

Amber and jacku04, did you see she posted that question in 2004? I think the trip is finished. Maybe not though.
Old Aug 22nd, 2009, 05:11 AM

How do these really old posts pop back up and get responses? Weird.
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 12:44 PM

Leslie, I think probably jacku04 is promoting his website for "cheap air and sea freights". He probably searched for a thread that needed airfare help so he could post, and got this one up. Kind of strange that he mentioned "sea freight" as well, unless he is promoting the site...don't you guess?
Old Aug 23rd, 2009, 04:34 PM

Just as well you are on the ball casual cairo, I never even noticed that lol.

Scotsgirl
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 08:50 AM

True, & I guess his technique worked since it got my attention. Too bad I'm not in the market for cheap sea freight.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 03:04 PM

not sea freight..... "sea freights" LOL I shouldn't knock it as I can't speak Arabic worth a darn, but I love it when they pluralize words that are already plural or singular.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 04:11 PM

Someone else mentioned British Airways. I don't know how frugal you need to be, but some benefits of flying BA would be: a) open jaw ticket into Nairobi and then out of Cairo - these are both routes BA flies; b) the possibility of flying more comfortably in Premium Economy, for about 25%-35% more than an economy class fare; and c) the possibility of a London stopover on the way there or back.
Old Aug 24th, 2009, 04:12 PM

Oops. I also forgot to mention that if you're considering BA, also consider getting a Chase British Airways Visa - 20,000 to 25,000 bonus miles for signing up, extra miles when you use the card to buy flights on BA and - if you really wanted to splurge, an almost free companion ticket if you purchase a full fare Premium Economy, Business or First Class ticket.
Old Aug 25th, 2009, 12:04 AM

At this rate I am not sure this thread will go away. LOL Frogoutofwater clearly missed the date of post and ALL OUR CHAT about the age of this post as well. HA!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -