Search

Airfare Consolidators

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Airfare Consolidators

I'm wondering what your experiences have been with using consolidators to purchase international airfare. The prices we are getting for travel to South Africa next spring are downright scary! I have seen a number of less expensive fares using consolidators, but am a little apprehensive about purchasing from them. Also, as an "elite" flyer with NWA, Continental, Delta and that particular "Skyteam", would like to earn frequent flyer miles for this trip. Apparently, the class of service that the trip is booked in determines whether or not miles will be earned. One consolidator has said the fare he is quoting is in "T" class.

Does anyone have information about this and what have been your experiences in using these consolidators.

You guys are the best!

Old Jul 16th, 2007, 03:45 PM

I have used them at about 4 times or so for flights from Chicago to Lagos, Nigeria and From Chicago to London. No problems at all. They are usually the cheapest I see.
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. Are there any particular consolidators you care to name that you have had good luck with? Also, did you receive frequent flyer miles using these tickets? I have contacted the airlines and they are very evasive about whether or not they would award miles using these tickets. They say that if you purchase your tickets directly through XXX Airlines for an international e-ticket booked in 'T' class of service, you may earn miles in your account. However, if you book reservations through a travel agency, restrictions may apply for mileage credit. (What does that actually mean?)
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 04:48 AM

The class of service (eg 'T') is one thing and under each class of service there are many different fare rules, often associated with different prices.

It is in those fare rules that miles can or cannot be earned. So the class of service alone is insufficient to determine whether miles are earned or not. In fact, one agency could issue T fares to one customer and have them earn miles and to another customer where they would not. Moreover, some consolidator tickets are in Y class and may or may not earn miles.

As they say, YMMV.

Old Jul 18th, 2007, 06:56 AM

Arielle, you might post your mileage credit question in the WorldPerks forum on flyertalk.com as well.

I, personally, have not had any issues with NWA not crediting miles from tix purchased on consolidators. I have primarily used travelocity and done so for domestic travel.

The consolidator I have seen the best prices on is airlineconsolidator.com. Lots of people, apparently, have used kayak...and there are others yet.

Good luck in your search

Shane
Old Jul 18th, 2007, 08:00 AM

I've bought tickets to South Africa from Premier Travel, who are "sort of" a consolidator; that is, South African Airways allows them to sell tickets at a price lower than they allow to other travel agents. I chose them over a "real" consolidator because I liked the direct routing on an airline I knew (SAA). You might take a look at Premier's web site. (I forget the exact web address, but you can google it.)

Shane's advice to look at Flyertalk is good. Those guys know everything!