Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Air Kenya NBO-JRO - 15 kg baggage limit?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26th, 2009, 05:23 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm just looking at air costs and stumbled over the baggage limits on Air Kenya - 15kg? We're arriving in Nairobi on Air Kenya from Cairo (flying on Delta points) with 8 weeks worth of luggage - do they waive that amount for international arrivals? (Virgin did in Australia a couple of years ago).

On a related subject - Precisionair's schedule works slightly better for us - but I have read about canceled flights - any comments?
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Original Poster

TTT
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 06:49 PM

I don't know what to tell you, but I know that I almost went crazy trying to match up Air France, Kenya Air and then Precision Air last Feb. All had different weights and sizes etc

I do know that I packed as lightly as I could and carried more than I should have aboard the two African flights and no body seemed to care!!

Call the airlines.....double and triple check, get it writing..get a lawyer!! .and good luck!!!!
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 07:17 PM

Sorry ElizabethS, 15 kg is 15 kg. I know it's impossible to travel on this allowance with 8 weeks of luggage. I haven't flown on Air Kenya, but have taken some flights within Africa. Sometimes the check in agents cared about how much the luggage weighted, sometimes they didn't. There were a few times when the scales didn't even work, this would be perfect for you.

Why not ask the airline you are flying for the long haul flight if they can issue the ticket in conjuction with the your long haul ticket?

Another option to consider is to check African flight passes, if the airline you are flying for the long haul has partner airlines in Africa this maybe a way around the luggage allowance.

I have been on fly in safaris in Africa. I do recommend them, I was concerned about luggage restrictions on these flights, the company that made my arrangements, made arrangements with the lodges where I stayed to keep some of my baggage. Of course, this only worked if I was returning to a particular place.

I have read many stories about cancelled flights in Africa, I don;t this is unique to Precision Air.
Old Jul 26th, 2009, 07:18 PM

opps, just saw you are flying on ff point to Cairo, ignore what i said about getting all your flights on one ticket.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 05:57 AM

Kenya Air (KQ) is a code-share with Precision (PW), so when arranging the KQ flight ascertain from them your baggage allowances all segments. On the international CAI/NBO, you have a 50/lb limit; on KQ/PW NBO/JRO (also an intl flight) can be 33/lbs or 40/lbs. If the agents have to assess a fee for overweight, know that it's not very expensive per Kg. a few dollars (unlike the major international carriers). There are NO flight passes for these carriers.

Of course, we all travel differently, but have to assume that even over 8/weeks you'll be wearing and rewearing much of the same clothing. Once in Kenya or Tanzania, you can have laundry done at camps/lodges at very reasonable prices (if not included in the rate).
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:39 AM

Are you overnighting in Nairobi before continuing to JRO or just connecting?

Air Kenya flies from Wilson airport so would require a cab ride plus transit visa if you weren't already in Nairobi.

Unless you actually mean Kenya Airways in which case it's actually operated by Precision Air and the weight allowance is 20kg and the flight departs from NBO. We went slightly over allowance on Precision and weren't charged. I also transferred all the heavy stuff into my carry on which wasn't weighed. YMMV

If you're connecting, you may be able to through check on Precision and even if you have to recheck at NBO, you should be able to do this without needing to purchase a transit visa. Go to the airside transfer and tell them you need your bag tagged to JRO.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 09:55 AM

BTW you're flying Kenya Airways (not Air Kenya) from CAI. Since NBO-JRO will be a separate ticket, technically you won't have the intl allowance. How much over do you think you'll be?
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:29 AM
Original Poster

Thanks all ---

- to clarify - we are flying in on Delta Skymiles points to Nairobi on Kenya Airways. I have been told (twice) by Delta Skymiles that we cannot use our points ticket to go from NBO to JRO because they don't allow it due to codeshares. So my Delta ticket terminates at NBO.

I guess I got muddled with Air Kenya as their flights are slightly cheaper - but don't want to change airports (if we don't overnight in NBO the first/last night)

Re weight - we are pretty good packers and yes will be re-wearing clothes (and don't have multiple climates as in previous years) and Precision Air appears to be 20kg (from their website) - but couldn't find a reference to hand baggage allowance (over and above the 20kg?)

Our biggest weight issues are electronics and books - we go away for 8 weeks and read tons.....and Kindle isn't an option for us in Canada (well, it's a difficult option but I might be looking into it).

We had planned to leave luggage in Arusha while we toured Tanzania so that's not a concern - I just didn't want to have a several hundred dollar surprise in Nairobi.

Thanks as always for your help.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 11:53 AM

As you read the books and periodicals, leave them behind. Less weight as you move on. Sure hope there's even sufficient time to read all the material you plan to bring. At least on safari, it's full days, so little time but maybe before retiring.

If you are charged for overweight, as above the per Kg price is low, so doubtful you'd be looking at hundreds of dollars.

The Kenya Air flight from CAI arrives at NBO/JKIA, the international airport. The Precision (PW) flight connects here at JKIA, no need to go to Wilson (domestic) airport. If departing from Wilson, it would be an Air Kenya or Safari Link flight to JRO.

If overnighting in NBO, then you'll require a Transit Visa (at minimum) currently @ $10/person thru 2009 and maybe thru 2010. Otherwise, it's $20/person. A regular Visa that will allow you to return to NBO is currently @$25/person thru 2009 and maybe thru 2010. Otherwise, it's $50/person. Some people choose two (2) Transit Visas, but that means on the return to Kenya you have to wait on line for this. Transit Visas are NOT available thru the Embassy. Regular and/or Transit Visa can be purchased on arrival at Kenya and regular Visa at Tanzania.

If overnighting in NBO, you'll also require a Yellow Fever inoc and proof of same for entry to Tanzania at JRO (international airport) or border crossings. If making immmediate connect at JKIA to JRO, no YF is required... just as long as you remain on the airside at airport. However, if when returning from Tanzania to Kenya for homebound, if spending a night or day in NBO, you'll need YF inoc and proof of same for re-entry to Kenya.

Confused yet? Sorry, but often people forget the small details and then scurry at last minute for something they hadn't planned for.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:05 PM
Original Poster

Hi sandi - unfortunately we are starting our 8 weeks in Tanzania so we'll be dropping books afterwards!

I think we'll arrange it so we stay in NBO the first and last night and dump our excess luggage there - that should stand us in good stead for luggage limitations.
Old Jul 27th, 2009, 12:26 PM
Original Poster

sandi - also thanks for the YF info...