Ahhh, not enough time...please HELP me make it work.

Jul 28th, 2010, 05:23 PM
Original Poster

Ahhh, not enough time...please HELP me make it work.

Greetings from Canada!

So, my husband and I purchased tickets, on a whim in May, to cairo in November. We only have 7 days in egypt and now that I have been doing some research, I know that it isn't enough. That said, I am determined to fit as much as possible in. But, I need help.

Here is what I would like to do, can someone please help me with logistics?
** cairo/surrounding area--pyramids, khan khalili, camel market, faluca
** white desert
** luxor/aswan/abu simple
**my husband keeps mentioning alexandria, but i have no idea how to fit that in too!
I know everyone here says cruise between luxor and aswan, but i am quite concerned about being on a floating hotel, with no where to go, with a bunch of tourists for 4 days (especially since my time is so limited). How essential is it really? Won't Luxor/Aswan be better after the tourist boats depart?

Two thoughts...

We arrive in Cairo at 7pm on a Tuesday, was thinking that we could automatically jump on a sleeper train to luxor. The train appears to leave cairo at 10pm, or 11:30 pm. Spend Wed in luxor, Thursday in Aswan, Friday to Abu Simple and then fly to Cairo. Dinner in Cairo, Sat at the Pyramids/market, Sunday/Monday overnight from Cairo to White desert , returning Tuesday afternoon-leave Wednesday.
**question, should i really see all three locations upper egypt locations? if we had to choose only between luxor and aswan, what would it be?

Or,

tuesday-arrive 7pm
wednesday-pyramids/market/great dinner
thursday-trip to white desert
friday-white desert to luxor
sat-luxor
sunday-aswan
monday-aswan to sleep abu simple
tues-abu simple first thing and then fly back to cairo-feluca dinner

*questions, can i get from somewhere in the white desert to luxor/aswan??? having difficulty finding info on this.

Thoughts?????????? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, tanya
Jul 28th, 2010, 05:46 PM

Okay - I love your ambition - but am exhausted just thinking about it! I hate to be negative....but I just don't think it's workable.

For a 7 day trip - I would definitely skip the White Desert. While it is a fascinating place...you will be skimping on some of the main Egyptian sites And you've really only got 1 day in Cairo, as planned. Cairo needs a minimum of 2 days.

How about....(depending, of course, on in-country flight times)..............

Tues - arrive 7 pm - go to hotel and get a good night's sleep.
Wed - pyramids/ Egyptian Museum
Thurs - Coptic Cairo/Islamic Cairo, the Citadel
Fri - fly to Luxor - visit Karnak/Luxor temples, Luxor Museum
Sat - visit Valley of Kings/Queen, Hatshepsut's Temple - fly to Aswan
Sun - Aswan - unfinished Obelisk, Aswan Dam, felucca ride, etc
Mon - fly to Abu Simbel - tour site- fly to Cairo
Tues - Cairo - Camel Market (if open) and Khan el Khalili (assuming that is what you meant by "market")

If you are insistent on doing the White Dessert, then I would skip Aswan and Abu Simbel.

Are you sure you can get to the White Desert in one day from Cairo? Whenever we planned it - we allowed for 2 days. Are you sure you can get from the White Desert to Luxor? Maybe....never checked into it.

As for the Nile Cruises - personally - I loved it. It was relaxing and low-key. Watching the countryside as you sail along the Nile is fascinating.
Jul 28th, 2010, 05:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the quick response and the honesty.
I do realize it is a lot, but we are not necessarily looking for a super relaxing vacation, rather we would like to see and do as much as we can. I don't know when we will ever be able to go back.
I am more excited about the White Desert than Luxor/Aswan so really would like to fit it in.
Kick me now, but not really interested in Egyptian Museum, Citadel...I do agree that more time in Cairo makes sense, but ...

Is a felucca ride better in Cairo or Aswan?
Are you suggesting that Luxor is the place to go, if we could only go to Aswan or Luxor?
Jul 28th, 2010, 06:01 PM

I agree with all that Grcxx3 has said .

I think when you arrive in Cairo you will need a good night's sleep and not be thinking of a looooong train ride to Luxor .

I hope you get a tour guide in Cairo.

Of course the best way to go is on a Nile Crusie...it is not boring being on the cruise because you see land on both sides and you can wave to the locals doing their daily chores.

The outline that Grxcc3 gave you is very good ,but boy you are going to be flying about a lot.

I like that from Abu Simble you will fly right back to Cairo.

I have a question :

How are you going to get about in Aswan and have you planned for a ride to the Valley of the Kings. ?

Good Luck... Egypt is nice , to obad you only have a week.
Jul 28th, 2010, 06:05 PM
Original Poster

I have no plans yet....that is both good and bad, I guess. I am a sponge, so am eager to hear whatever opinions are out there.

How about this, top five things to do/see in Eqypt...
Jul 28th, 2010, 06:15 PM

Okay - additional thoughts....

If I had to pick between Aswan and Luxor - it's a no brainer. I love Luxor and the major sites are there. Also, just a lovely little town.

If you are insistent upon the White Desert - that is fine. But I never planned it as a "tourist", so I don't know what the limitations are. Have you checked into it? Usually, when we planned it....day 1 would be a drive to Bahariya, day 2/3 in the White Desert, end of day 3 back to Bahariya, then day 4 back to Cairo. But we were driving ourselves and wanted to take it easy.

I can see skipping the Citadel (never saw it when we lived there....only went afterwards!), but I do think the Egyptian Museum is a must. And, altho I am not a religious person, I found Coptic Cairo to be fascinating. And, not to visit a mosque while in Egypt - I think - is a missed opportunity. But, that's me.
Jul 28th, 2010, 06:28 PM

Okay ..Top five to see in Egypt:

1. Cairo Museum

2. Pyramids.

3. Luxor/ Karnak Temple

4. Valley of the Kings

5. Abu Simble
Jul 28th, 2010, 06:32 PM

Good list, Percy!

But I would add Hatshepsut's Temple.
Jul 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM

I would squeeze in Khan el Khalili as one of the top Egypt experiences also.
Jul 28th, 2010, 07:16 PM

Hi Grcxx3

I was assuming that in the Valley of the Kings she would see

Hatshepsut's Temple...which is a do not miss site

Also King Tut's Tomb...if she wanted to pay to go in.

Colosses of Memnon

and get to go inside a Tomb, perhaps one of the Ramsey tombs like Ramasy IV

even stop at one of the tourist souvenir places.

I agree with you do not miss Quenn Hatshepsuts's Temple when you are in the Valley of the Kings ..

You gave her a very good outline.. I am impressed but not surprised

Good Night
Jul 29th, 2010, 02:03 AM

Percy says..."Also King Tut's Tomb.. if she wants to pay to go in".

I don't understand why someone would baulk at paying approx US$20 to to inside King Tuts tomb when they have paid many thousands of dollars on airfares and tours.

this is not directed to the poster, just a general observation.
Jul 29th, 2010, 04:55 AM

Point well taken Miss G, but I want to hear what you say about it after you've been inside it. It may warrant a posting by you to tell us how you feel then.

I've been in. I know. I am curious to hear how you feel afterwards.
Jul 29th, 2010, 06:37 AM

Hi MissGreen

I also would like to hear your observations of what you thought and felt when you went inside.

A lot of people baulked at paying the fee go to inside King Tutu's Tomb.

I was told what was inside by my guide ...but I still went, because I was right there at the entrance and I felt I just had to go in....the fee did not deter me.

But I can assure you many other did not want to pay to go inside .

Axel2DP :
Yes the Khan el Khalili Bazaar is an interesting place to see alright ...BUT

I could only name 5
Jul 29th, 2010, 07:50 AM

Percy's list is perfect and I assumed Hatshepsut when at Valley of K&Q.

As to the Tut Tomb - I'd pass and instead visit the Tut Exhibit at the Museum of Antiquities in Cairo. Besides the latter exhibit is in air conditioning; also visit the Mummy Room (extra fee... definitely worth it), also with a/c.

Do remember, even in November, regardless how much you want to get in on your short visit, it's hot* at many of these places which can be taxing on the body.

*at Luxor it can reach into the 90s by 9am.
Jul 29th, 2010, 08:28 AM
Original Poster

Great conversation, thank you. I have made many notes onto my work in progress schedule.
I will probably cut out Aswan then, focus on Luxor and Abu Simple.
Does anyone know if I can get from somewhere in the White Desert to Luxor, without going back to Cairo? Is it safe to rent a car and do that drive myself, as oppose to going with a tour company overnight?
Jul 29th, 2010, 08:52 AM

I just googled "white desert egypt" and there are 1-day (overnight) tours from Cairo, so even if you can't get to Luxor from there directly, you can certainly go. It'll be tiring, but you would have 2 days Cairo, 1 day White Desert, 1 day getting to Luxor after returning from the White Desert, 2 days Luxor, 1 day Abu Simbel.

MissGreen, some people I've heard find it enough to be in Tut's tomb. Others, like me (and apparently CC and sandi) didn't feel it necessary to go in when everything in it has been removed to the museum. We thought Valley of the Kings and Valley of the Queens were amazing, but not because of the specific tombs we saw, more because of the very fact that they were found, which you'll understand when you get there.
Jul 29th, 2010, 11:45 AM

<>

NO!!!!!!!!!!!

For a whole variety of reasons...............
Jul 29th, 2010, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

no car rental, got it!

i think that this is do-able now...

Tuesday-arrive 7pm, overnight train to luxor
Wed-Luxor
Thur-Luxor
Friday-Abu Simple-fly back to Cairo-
Sat-white desert overnight
Sun-rtn to Cairo-khan khalili, great dinner out
Mon-pyramids
Tues-cairo
Wednesday-fly home

Whatcha think?
Jul 29th, 2010, 05:53 PM

< >>

WOW - you're really good at taking subtle hints!!

Just looking quickly at your plan.....looks much better! Need to go watch Project Runway...then I'll look at it in more detail!

Quick question.....why not just fly to Luxor since you're already at the airport? Are there no evening flights? I think flying in, then taking the overnight train is going to make you one VERY tired traveler!!!!
Jul 29th, 2010, 06:04 PM

Not bad, but, are you sure you can make the overnight train? I meant to comment on this earlier, but I think the Abela sleeper (the only one you'd want to be on) leaves at 8 p.m., not 10 p.m. (but it's been a couple of years, and my memory might be failing me!) (If I'm reading the schedule correctly, there are trains at 8:00 and 9:10, both from Giza. I'm not sure you could count on making those even if you arrive on time. Giza is at least 45 minutes from the airport, and you have to get your visa, go through passport control, get your luggage and go through customs, all of which can be fast, but still...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO